to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Epic: a female Gears of War star would be "tough to justify"

Your comments on our articles.

But existing female cast are a cut above the usual stereotypes

Gears of War packs more machismo into its little finger than the likes of Arnold Schwarzenegger pack into their ridiculously inflated torsos, but according to Epic's art director Chris Perna, the franchise is a hit nonetheless with female players, who regard its female characters as "empowering".... read more

Epic: a female Gears of War star would be "tough to justify"

Postby Metalrodent » 13 Feb 2013, 14:30

'hard to justify'
er really? Metroid, Borderlands (1+2), Mass Effect and most games with character creation let you play as a lead female without problem.
I dont really care who i'm playing as, as longs as they're suitably interesting and not dislikable (of course its a bonus if they're good looking :wink:) it shouldn't matter who the lead role is.
Image
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
User avatar
Metalrodent 70
 
Posts: 4860
Joined: 20 Nov 2012, 15:22

Re: Epic: a female Gears of War star would be

Postby CunningSmile » 13 Feb 2013, 14:33

50% of the population are female, and in the future I'd imagine an end to gender inequality so why is there only one female character in a franchise with a cast as big as Gears? The justification is maths you dim witted fool
Why all the fuss about Dragon Age? Gears of War had a gay character years ago and no one complained...wait, you mean Marcus was straight :shock:
User avatar
CunningSmile 71
OXM Moderator
 
Posts: 10384
Joined: 03 Aug 2009, 15:17
Location: United Kingdom

Epic: a female Gears of War star would be "tough to justify"

Postby SilentDark » 13 Feb 2013, 14:39

Why does it seem to be one or the other, if a girl in a videogame wears sexy outfits she's immediately dismissed as a boys fantasy, regardless of characterisation. If a developer wants to avoid this then what they basically do is make a man with boobs.

Samus was a good example of a capable woman until Other M and it was basically revealed that the only reason she was so capable in the other games was because she didn't have any men around to be dependent on.

Resident Evil 6 probably got as close to a middle ground as I have seen in recent memory with girls who are attractive, feminine (Okay that's only really Sherry) and capable (key difference I think, most people want strong female characters, but I think capable is a better thing to strive for)
"You're an interesting fellow as always. I will once again become your hope."
SilentDark 63
 
Posts: 2191
Joined: 10 Jan 2013, 15:40
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Epic: a female Gears of War star would be

Postby Bezza89 » 13 Feb 2013, 14:41

CunningSmile wrote:50% of the population are female, and in the future I'd imagine an end to gender inequality so why is there only one female character in a franchise with a cast as big as Gears? The justification is maths you dim witted fool


Only one? There's loads. Anya, Valeria, Samantha, this new one, and non-playable there's Bernie, locust queen, maria, some random woman also, she's in charge of something at the stadium. I forget her name, she loves cole, everyone she's with loves him too.
Trianglular Sandwiches advocate against remakes of games, except Halo MC collection and GTAV... and metro... and minecraft.
User avatar
Bezza89 67
 
Posts: 7489
Joined: 17 May 2010, 13:30
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Epic: a female Gears of War star would be

Postby CunningSmile » 13 Feb 2013, 14:49

Bezza89 wrote:
CunningSmile wrote:50% of the population are female, and in the future I'd imagine an end to gender inequality so why is there only one female character in a franchise with a cast as big as Gears? The justification is maths you dim witted fool


Only one? There's loads. Anya, Valeria, Samantha, this new one, and non-playable there's Bernie, locust queen, maria, some random woman also, she's in charge of something at the stadium. I forget her name, she loves cole, everyone she's with loves him too.


Never played the MP, so the only one that really sticks in my mind is Anya (and Maria obviously, but she's more like an obsession than a character)
Why all the fuss about Dragon Age? Gears of War had a gay character years ago and no one complained...wait, you mean Marcus was straight :shock:
User avatar
CunningSmile 71
OXM Moderator
 
Posts: 10384
Joined: 03 Aug 2009, 15:17
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Epic: a female Gears of War star would be

Postby FishyGinger » 13 Feb 2013, 15:27

I've only played the first 2 but the characters are about as deep as a petri dish. Why can't they make the next one like unreal tournament where you can select your character, or mass effect where you create them.
2 + 4 = Fish
User avatar
FishyGinger 68
 
Posts: 4176
Joined: 08 Aug 2012, 13:42

Re: Epic: a female Gears of War star would be

Postby CunningSmile » 13 Feb 2013, 16:11

FishyGinger wrote:I've only played the first 2 but the characters are about as deep as a petri dish. Why can't they make the next one like unreal tournament where you can select your character, or mass effect where you create them.


I was half expecting a big reveal that Marcus was a woman all along. The massive neck bigger than his head was just a result of equility in the training and steroid regime in the COGs :lol:
Why all the fuss about Dragon Age? Gears of War had a gay character years ago and no one complained...wait, you mean Marcus was straight :shock:
User avatar
CunningSmile 71
OXM Moderator
 
Posts: 10384
Joined: 03 Aug 2009, 15:17
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Epic: a female Gears of War star would be

Postby Bezza89 » 13 Feb 2013, 16:14

CunningSmile wrote:
Never played the MP, so the only one that really sticks in my mind is Anya (and Maria obviously, but she's more like an obsession than a character)


All are story related, which reminds me that would put even more as playable characters as Bernie and Locust queen are mp playable.
Trianglular Sandwiches advocate against remakes of games, except Halo MC collection and GTAV... and metro... and minecraft.
User avatar
Bezza89 67
 
Posts: 7489
Joined: 17 May 2010, 13:30
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Epic: a female Gears of War star would be

Postby Metalrodent » 13 Feb 2013, 17:10

FishyGinger wrote:Why can't they make the next one like unreal tournament where you can select your character, or mass effect where you create them.

Why can't all games be like that?
Image
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
User avatar
Metalrodent 70
 
Posts: 4860
Joined: 20 Nov 2012, 15:22

Re: Epic: a female Gears of War star would be

Postby FishyGinger » 13 Feb 2013, 17:32

Metalrodent wrote:
FishyGinger wrote:Why can't they make the next one like unreal tournament where you can select your character, or mass effect where you create them.

Why can't all games be like that?


It would seem horses invade our developers just they invade our burgers to say neigh to freedom of choice.
2 + 4 = Fish
User avatar
FishyGinger 68
 
Posts: 4176
Joined: 08 Aug 2012, 13:42

Re: Epic: a female Gears of War star would be

Postby fracturedrich » 13 Feb 2013, 18:55

I have no problem killing girls in mp ,or the odd game of final fantasy,but if lead role in gow goes to a girl i will switch to ps straight away.
fracturedrich 47
 
Posts: 957
Joined: 03 Aug 2012, 10:52
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Epic: a female Gears of War star would be

Postby Metalrodent » 13 Feb 2013, 19:54

fracturedrich wrote:I have no problem killing girls in mp ,or the odd game of final fantasy,but if lead role in gow goes to a girl i will switch to ps straight away.

wow... I'm really not sure how to respond to this...
Image
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
User avatar
Metalrodent 70
 
Posts: 4860
Joined: 20 Nov 2012, 15:22

Re: Epic: a female Gears of War star would be

Postby FishyGinger » 14 Feb 2013, 00:00

It's best to just fit in. Make your eyes look in different directions then dribble.
2 + 4 = Fish
User avatar
FishyGinger 68
 
Posts: 4176
Joined: 08 Aug 2012, 13:42


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

The forum teamDelete all forum cookiesAll times are UTC [ DST ]