to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Judgment hands-on: how People Can Fly turned Gears into a sc

Your comments on our articles.

Declassified missions and Defence Scenarios strike a different tone

When Gears of War: Judgment's Overrun Mode was unveiled last year, fans were simultaneously delighted and dismayed. Delighted because Overrun is essentially Gears of War 3's Beast Mode with a player-controlled COG side - or in other words, a version of Beast Mode that actually has some sort of long-term entertainment value. And dismayed because the introduction of Overrun appeared to have come at the cost of Gears of War 2's brilliant, much-revised Horde Mode, which has had almost as much impact on the action genre at large as the original's cover system.... read more

Judgment hands-on: how People Can Fly turned Gears into a sc

Postby SidTheSloth » 14 Feb 2013, 09:18

Sounds far more promising than i was (subconsciously) expecting, obviously it's gears title so i expected it'd be of a certain quality etc, but for me it was 'one game too far, and definitely too soon' and i'm not sure some of the new 'juicy goodness' would ever be enough to tempt me back. The beast mode definitely needed/s a shot in the arm, i enjoyed it to a point in3 like most people so that sounds pretty cool, did i read somewhere that the horde mode is dlc though - or did i make that up?

I query the bit about the story too, was it ever any good? Sure there were a few moments, but i always found the story in Gears to be largely slow, ploddy, predictable (to an extent) and mostly forgettable (see yesterdays thread about gears to see how memorable some of the characters are! :wink: ), but it got away with it based on the guns - and mostly the chainsaw!

Not being a huge shooter fan and still having lots of things (means achievements) left to do in 3 i think there's zippo (means 'no') chance of me getting this, which brings me on to my conundrum;

Part of me doesn't want this to sell as it feels a 'little dirty/milky' on the cash-grab side coming so soon after 3, but then i've heard good things about Bulletstorm, now good things about this - it seems like 'People Can Fly' could really do with catching a break somewhere as they sound like a good quality dev crew - hopefully there are still enough Gears fans out there who'll snap this up to make their efforts worthwhile (and seeing how many people have bought aliens/dead space i'd say we appear to be no closer to sating the appetite for shooters).
Sid is waving. Waving goodbye. It means he's leaving now. He's going. His final message to you, dear reader, is to always wash your hands after making a big pooh, and to remember that Hyrule Warriors is a thing…!
SidTheSloth 53

Re: Judgment hands-on: how People Can Fly turned Gears into

Postby FishyGinger » 14 Feb 2013, 10:39

SidTheSloth wrote:I query the bit about the story too, was it ever any good? Sure there were a few moments, but i always found the story in Gears to be largely slow, ploddy, predictable (to an extent) and mostly forgettable (see yesterdays thread about gears to see how memorable some of the characters are! :wink: ), but it got away with it based on the guns - and mostly the chainsaw!

As I've not played 3 I can't tell what the story of the whole lot was but of course it was amazing. Something about Christopher Lambert getting a group of earth warriors together to stop some evil sorcerer. Captivating stuff that.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 68

Postby SidTheSloth » 14 Feb 2013, 10:54

FishyGinger wrote:
SidTheSloth wrote:I query the bit about the story too, was it ever any good? Sure there were a few moments, but i always found the story in Gears to be largely slow, ploddy, predictable (to an extent) and mostly forgettable (see yesterdays thread about gears to see how memorable some of the characters are! :wink: ), but it got away with it based on the guns - and mostly the chainsaw!

As I've not played 3 I can't tell what the story of the whole lot was but of course it was amazing. Something about Christopher Lambert getting a group of earth warriors together to stop some evil sorcerer. Captivating stuff that.

***(Fictional) Spoilers for GoW3***;

What they don't tell you is that the sorcerer is actually Adam Lambert (coincidentally not related), blessed with the power of inciting rage in all manner of creatures through music.

You literally couldn't make this stuff up. Oh, wait...

***(Non) Spoilers End***
Sid is waving. Waving goodbye. It means he's leaving now. He's going. His final message to you, dear reader, is to always wash your hands after making a big pooh, and to remember that Hyrule Warriors is a thing…!
SidTheSloth 53

Postby Bezza89 » 14 Feb 2013, 11:17

I'd be interested if it wasn't people can fly, thought bulletstorm was overrated, and the fact that this game is also going after score attack style gameplay just means you wont be experimenting you'll be trying to get particular things done in a particular order at a particular time whilst doing a handstand - especially if you're online with people you don't know who'll doubtless be boosting.

Add to that, this game seems to be perfectly tailored to co-op and going off the many many times we got together for Horde in 3... and sounds like not much fun solo (class based but we're going to be Baird everytime who is the most annoying character?) I don't expect much from it. I'd love to, but I've said my points why I can't.
Trianglular Sandwiches advocate against remakes of games, except Halo MC collection and GTAV... and metro... and minecraft.
Bezza89 67

Postby Bongzilla1878 » 14 Feb 2013, 14:43

Top of the "must buy" list for me.

I loved (and still do love) Gears of War 3 (especially Horde mode, so was a little worried that they had done away with Horde - but seems my worries were unfounded! Thankfully)

I also thought Bulletstorm was a great game (under-rated in my opinion!!) so am really looking forward to a Gears game made by People Can Fly!
HEY EVERYONE, COME SEE HOW GOOD I LOOK.
Bongzilla1878 28

Postby fracturedrich » 03 Mar 2013, 13:20

Bezza89 wrote:I'd be interested if it wasn't people can fly, thought bulletstorm was overrated.
I respect your opinion bezza but thats a bit harsh,mp aside bulletstorm was a really good game,i think people can fly will bring a lot to the gears franchise,there humour will fit right in.If truth be told gears 1 will go down as one of the best shooters of all time and all thats followed will seem like a cash in,i still play gow1 online and i have friends what declare gears as being dead ever since number 2 came out.I on the other hand am a sucker for a sequel or a prequel.I also no people who are very excited about free for all and will probably play nothing but judgement online until the next gen,we should have some better exclusives now though as i think ps has a slight edge over us after the release of white witch.
fracturedrich 47