to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Gearbox didn't actually develop Aliens: Colonial Marines, cl

Your comments on our articles.

"Aliens: Colonial Marines is essentially TimeGate's game"

A heated underground war appears to be underway between Gearbox Software and Section 8 developer TimeGate over the extent of their respective contributions to the rather disappointing Aliens: Colonial Marines.... read more

Gearbox didn't actually develop Aliens: Colonial Marines, cl

Postby CunningSmile » 14 Feb 2013, 12:50

So in otherwords everyone is jumping up and down and saying "It's not our fault it's crap, it's theirs."

Whoever is too blame you've had 6 years guys. With that much time there really isn't any excuse for releasing as bad a game as you apparently have
I miss my care free youth when my biggest concern was where to hide the latest body
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Re: Gearbox didn't actually develop Aliens: Colonial Marines

Postby SkinnerChinner » 14 Feb 2013, 13:04

Gearbox's stamp on the box, their logo on the opening credits...thus, their mess as much as it is TimeGate's.
Last edited by SkinnerChinner on 14 Feb 2013, 13:30, edited 1 time in total.
SkinnerChinner 35

Postby Mendes » 14 Feb 2013, 13:21

I've worked on IT projects for 20 years, as a developer, a project lead and other roles from 'tea boy' all the way up.... and to be honest this all smacks of too many cooks and a lack of communication, which all boils down to one thing. Bad management.

Cunning is right, 6 years for such a project is plenty but if it's badly managed, whether that be because the main studio is having to spread its resources too thinly to cover another games release (i.e. Borderlands 2), it will inevitably fall apart.

I've not played Borderlands 1 or 2, I hear good things, but one bad release, (in this case the Alien game), from any studio can spell disaster in the current economic climate. Could Gearbox be the next studio to close? Perhaps this worry is causing all the finger pointing.
Mendes 34

Postby FishyGinger » 14 Feb 2013, 13:28

And so the marmite thickens.

It's also segas fault too though. It's their property.
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
FishyGinger 66

Postby RedBelmont » 14 Feb 2013, 13:58

Look at this:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/6832-A-LIE-ns-Colonial-Marines?utm_source=latest&utm_medium=index_carousel&utm_campaign=all

I think I've lost all faith in Gearbox, Duke Nukem was terrible, so was Borderlands 2 and as Skinner says if it's Gearboxs logo on the box then they're responsible for Aliens CM. I'm so glad I didn't waste money on the game, if I had then after watching that video I'd feel like I'd been scammed.
The Danger Zone
RedBelmont 31

Postby Gazisdaman » 14 Feb 2013, 14:10

Guys, I think were missing the real problem here, there was a swear in this article! :shock:
Gazisdaman 35

Postby CunningSmile » 14 Feb 2013, 14:13

Mendes wrote:I've not played Borderlands 1 or 2, I hear good things, but one bad release, (in this case the Alien game), from any studio can spell disaster in the current economic climate. Could Gearbox be the next studio to close? Perhaps this worry is causing all the finger pointing.

I don't think they'll close, no matter how badly this fails. They are the largest 'independant' developer still around, and despite a few bad reviews tend to be fairly successful at least in terms of sales. Even Duke Nukem made a profit in the end.

I'm actually expecting them to get bigger next gen because they do experiment with new IPs which always sell well on new consoles, whilst the current big boys at at EA and especially Acti have become too reliant on a few established titles and have largely stopped innovating which could pose a problem once you take away the pre-established user base that supports CoD etc.
I miss my care free youth when my biggest concern was where to hide the latest body
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby msbhvn » 14 Feb 2013, 14:17

I can't see how releasing the game in such a terrible state was the best option. Most of the people who bought it now feel like they were ripped off, and any news of a sequel will be unwelcome because of the bad publicity. They've effectively killed a potential franchise to make some quick cash, which is a terrible business decision.

It's not like it would have been difficult to make a satisfying Aliens game. Dead Space is almost exactly it, and maybe that's the problem, that Visceral stole their thunder. :?
I don't get the appeal at all. Like what do they do... say something stupid then read the replies while they touch themselves? - Vampyre_Ghost on trolls.
msbhvn 66

Postby Plamsa wing » 14 Feb 2013, 14:37

At the end of the day, it's Gearbox who made the final call on any and all content that's in the final game. Timegate was outsoucred along with some other devs to work on this.

Trying to place all the blame on Timegate is petty at best. If you're going to blame them, blame the others as well.

With the way this is going, I can see Timegate going under. It's a shame really, they're a great dev, who've made some great games.
"Hey! Don't lob factual statements at me as if they're insults!"
Plamsa wing 54

Postby FishyGinger » 14 Feb 2013, 15:37

Plamsa wing wrote:At the end of the day, it's Gearbox who made the final call on any and all content that's in the final game. Timegate was outsoucred along with some other devs to work on this.

Trying to place all the blame on Timegate is petty at best. If you're going to blame them, blame the others as well.

With the way this is going, I can see Timegate going under. It's a shame really, they're a great dev, who've made some great games.

It's everyone's fault/problem. Sega outsource the game and licence so it's their product, Gearbox are overseeing the production and the others made it. As someone said it's too much time with too many people, either Gearbox should have made it all but taken longer if it clashed with borderlands 2 or Timegate should have made it all.

Other than total war though I have little faith in segas output.
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
FishyGinger 66

Postby fracturedrich » 14 Feb 2013, 16:06

Matt the backstabber,i might change my gamertag to that,it has a certain ring to it,I would respect them more if they said look,we made a mistake and we are sorry,we will be releasing free dlc and updates to the people that bought this game,and money of the next game we release.We have more chance of me winning valentine day competition than that happening.
fracturedrich 46

Postby battfink83 » 14 Feb 2013, 16:37

this all came out on the forums about 2 days ago, its creating a major stink. apparently even sega said that gearbox made the game, maybe even they didnt know what the hell actually went on.

i and others agree though, regardless of who actually made the game, gearbox are solely responsible for the creation of it, thus they are responsible for the complete mess its in.
battfink83 47

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 14 Feb 2013, 17:36

This video makes a good point that the gameplay footage we were shown months ago, which had everyone really looking forward to and excited for this game isnt actually In-game footage and the comparison is...well, just watch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z2qVebxlUo
Johnbhoy69 51

Postby msbhvn » 14 Feb 2013, 19:12

That YouTube vid is the same as the one linked to in the article, from former OXM staffer Matt Lees. The YouTube one has some of the demo/final labels wrong, so use the article link instead.
I don't get the appeal at all. Like what do they do... say something stupid then read the replies while they touch themselves? - Vampyre_Ghost on trolls.
msbhvn 66

Postby battfink83 » 14 Feb 2013, 19:13

just read a rather interesting post on the forums, dont know how much if any is true, but.....

"reporting more fallout here. sega refusing to comment further, wii u version reportedly cancelled now, and posters saying sega gave gb somewhere around 65 million to produce quality game. 15 million reportedly went to timegate for building most of the game and the rest is said to have been embezzled for borderlands 2 production. many gaming journalists on this now and gb continues to be silent... does not look good at all ..."

hmmmmmm
battfink83 47

Next