to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Rumour: Kinect RTS Gears of War: Tactics revealed for next g

Your comments on our articles.

Gears of War goes all Command & Conquer

Remember Gears of War: Exile, the on-rails shooter for Kinect that was cancelled sometime prior to April 2012? Remember how we all more or less agreed that the project's demise was basically a Good Thing, given Kinect's wobbly form as an enabler of gun-toting shenanigans? Well, how would you feel about a Kinect-powered Gears of War real-time strategy affair for the next generation Xbox?... read more

Rumour: Kinect RTS Gears of War: Tactics revealed for next g

Postby DarkSynopsis » 15 Feb 2013, 11:48

Seems like something that would be worth putting out on Windows 8 aimed towards being played on the Surface.
DarkSynopsis 1

Re: Rumour: Kinect RTS Gears of War: Tactics revealed for ne

Postby Bezza89 » 15 Feb 2013, 11:55

I've said RTS is the perfect genre for kinect, there aren't enough games on the 360, imagine XCOM with kinect controls, or getting a total war game on. These screens don't look like the project kicked off much.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby Apparitions » 15 Feb 2013, 14:38

Cool. I always thought a Gears RTS would be interesting. If it can be done as well as the Halo one, I might get it.
Apparitions 13

Postby schwepterbrowser » 15 Feb 2013, 15:21

I don't think we'll ever see this, I imagine they're just shots from Exile and it was canned because it wasn't working.

A shame in my opinion, I'd have bought it.
schwepterbrowser 54

Postby fracturedrich » 15 Feb 2013, 17:43

Starcraft 3,done right,that would make me pay for the next gen xbox right now.
fracturedrich 46

Postby SidTheSloth » 15 Feb 2013, 19:19

Bezza89 wrote:I've said RTS is the perfect genre for kinect, there aren't enough games on the 360, imagine XCOM with kinect controls, or getting a total war game on. These screens don't look like the project kicked off much.

Be careful writing 'XCOM' in the same sentence as 'RTS' as you'll upset the genre gods at some point, who with nothing better to do will no doubt dump all over your drive and probably call you nasty names like poo-breath. Or something. :wink:

Can i just ask why everyone raves about kinect for this genre though? RTS games especially require precision, speed of thought and swift execution - none of which exactly spring to mind when i think about kinect? Yeah 2.0 will no doubt be better, but there's not a hope in hell i'd ditch my controller/mouse/keyboard when playing something like total war in favour of kinect, my army would be marching into the ocean before i knew it :roll:
Last edited by SidTheSloth on 15 Feb 2013, 20:43, edited 1 time in total.
Sid is waving. Waving goodbye. It means he's leaving now. He's going. His final message to you, dear reader, is to always wash your hands after making a big pooh, and to remember that Hyrule Warriors is a thing…!
SidTheSloth 53

Postby AlexRat » 15 Feb 2013, 20:33

This could work if they used voice controls like End War.
Gamertag: AlexRat
AlexRat 51

Postby Bezza89 » 15 Feb 2013, 22:29

SidTheSloth wrote:
Bezza89 wrote:I've said RTS is the perfect genre for kinect, there aren't enough games on the 360, imagine XCOM with kinect controls, or getting a total war game on. These screens don't look like the project kicked off much.

Be careful writing 'XCOM' in the same sentence as 'RTS' as you'll upset the genre gods at some point, who with nothing better to do will no doubt dump all over your drive and probably call you nasty names like poo-breath. Or something. :wink:

Can i just ask why everyone raves about kinect for this genre though? RTS games especially require precision, speed of thought and swift execution - none of which exactly spring to mind when i think about kinect? Yeah 2.0 will no doubt be better, but there's not a hope in hell i'd ditch my controller/mouse/keyboard when playing something like total war in favour of kinect, my army would be marching into the ocean before i knew it :roll:

Whatever genre xcom is, that. It doesn't require kinect, or speed as everything is turn based - but the addition of kinect would be a great use of it compared to voice controls which were very possible with a headset anyway.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65