Netflix, Lovefilm, Sky Go etc. - Which do you like?

Anything that doesn’t fit anywhere else

Netflix, Lovefilm, Sky Go etc. - Which do you like?

Postby Decent_Jam » 17 Feb 2013, 19:10

I've been watching things online for years now and have yet to dip my toe into the world of paid on-demand video services, until now.

I fancied watching Shutter Island the other day and so have signed up to a trial of Netflix on my Xbox 360. It worked very well, coped with the internet speed and such, so I am largely happy.

My question is, which on-demand service do you all think is the best value for money? The range of shows on Netflix is strong in places and strangely lacking in others, and searching around it gives the impression that there are more shows available for it in other countries. If I do decide to continue to sign up to something, I would like to make sure I could get as much out of it as possible.

In terms of what I usually watch, I tend to view a lot of drama and some comedy on TV and generally thrillers, action and superheroes in the film sphere. Next on my list is Breaking Bad, which Netflix happens to have.

What do you lot all think?
Decent_Jam

Game: GT - "Decent Jam"
Tweet: @James_Parry
Email: jamesmparry87@gmail.com
Site - This Is Entertainment: http://jamesmparry.wordpress.com/

Playing : MCC, Sunset O, Destiny, TF, Forza 5, KI - head to OXM Nights to meet up.
Decent_Jam 63

Re: Netflix, Lovefilm, Sky Go etc. - Which do you like?

Postby KernowDevil23 » 17 Feb 2013, 21:31

I subscribe to Netflix & LoveFilm plus I have an account with Blinkbox.

Of the three, overall value for money HAS to be Netflix. I've got the UK version on my Xbox, Laptop, TV etc....and I use the US version on my PS3. I've never felt shortchanged from my £5.99 a month!

LoveFilm is okay but the movies are very old compared to Netflix and the HD content is very sporadic. Blinkbox is a new one for me and it's not subscription based but so far, it's pretty good with a nice selection of relatively recent films (Taken 2 for instance).

My advice would be to sign up for the free trials and cancel the one you favour least.
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby comabob » 17 Feb 2013, 23:27

I use lovefilm and netflix for different reasons.

Lovefilm is brilliant for blurays and games but as far as purely streaming stuff online they are both pretty similar.

Lovefilm tends to have a larger variety of older more obscure titles compared to netflix which has alot of later stuff. There are TONS of stuff that both have though.

Lovefilm's horror and foreign section is way better than netflix for eg,
"The boy said he's from hell. Maybe that's where we're going..."
comabob 52

Postby CunningSmile » 18 Feb 2013, 10:37

I've got Lovefilm because I'm already a post member and use it constantly for streaming since it came to Xbox. As Bob says it's film section is great for older classics although new stuff can take awhile, and it's TV section isn't too bad (especially if you like ABC shows as they have a deal)

I've had the free subscription for Netflix and just found it a nightmare to navigate. There seemed to be a lot of stuff on there but actually finding anything on a casual browse just seemed too hard, and I got irritated with the fact they start to stream the first episode of a series whilst you're trying to find the episode you wanted.

I've used Blinkbox a couple of times, as it has a really wide selection of up to date films and the pay per view doesn't tie you down. It's more like renting from Blockbuster compared to Lovefilm/Netflix being TV.

I'm also currently signed up with Now because they were giving away 2100 points for a three month trial. The range isn't great at the moment as it's still getting going, and I'm not sure I could justify £15 a month full price, but the one thing it does have in it's favour is that you get access to all the Sky movie channels without being a Sky member so I'd imagine for a major film buff that could be a draw.
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 74
OXM Moderator

Postby FishyGinger » 18 Feb 2013, 11:50

I did the now tv trial. Had no idea you could access sky movies, wasn't it all just through the Now Tv app on the xbox? Anyways it was heavily lacking unless you wanted to watch every documentary on james bond films ever made. Had a few good choices though. And runs better than I expected.

Personally none of these catch my interest though, usually get decent dvd prices in sales and whatnot.
Spider-Baby. Its got the body of a spider and the mind of a baby.
FishyGinger 71

Postby CunningSmile » 18 Feb 2013, 12:00

FishyGinger wrote:I did the now tv trial. Had no idea you could access sky movies, wasn't it all just through the Now Tv app on the xbox? Anyways it was heavily lacking unless you wanted to watch every documentary on james bond films ever made. Had a few good choices though. And runs better than I expected.

Personally none of these catch my interest though, usually get decent dvd prices in sales and whatnot.

It was added about a week into my trial. There was an extra tab added at the end and when you went to it there was loads of "Now Showing" windows with how much was left of the film and a note on what was on next. I think they may possibly charge a bit extra if it was a big Saturday night premier type thing but the rest seemed available.
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 74
OXM Moderator

Postby FishyGinger » 18 Feb 2013, 12:51

Oh right yeah I did see that. I've not renewed though. It was an alright app but a little sparce on content. I just don't have the time to make these things worthwhile for me. I was surprised at how well they ran but maybe that's me thinking of streaming movies in the days of dial up beep-boop-beep-scrunch modems.
Spider-Baby. Its got the body of a spider and the mind of a baby.
FishyGinger 71

Postby Metalrodent » 21 Feb 2013, 19:22

I like DVDs and Blu-Rays xD
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 72

Postby ChillieBonBon » 21 Feb 2013, 22:50

Sky Go is brilliant in my (and probably most others) opinion. Your able to have it on up to 4 devices including stuff like iPad's and, of course, the Xbox.

Netflix and Lovefilm are good but the film/TV programme choices aren't as great.
If a cluttered desk is the sign of of a cluttered mind, what is an empty desk a sign of?
ChillieBonBon 24

Postby KernowDevil23 » 22 Feb 2013, 09:34

ChillieBonBon wrote:Netflix and Lovefilm are good but the film/TV programme choices aren't as great.

To be fair, both of these are a fraction of the cost of sky and unless you're currently a subscriber, Sky has a 1 year minimum contract period.

Sky Go can only be a viable option for existing subscribers rather than a standalone service like Netflix and LoveFilm IMO.
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby ChillieBonBon » 22 Feb 2013, 11:08

KernowDevil23 wrote:
ChillieBonBon wrote:Netflix and Lovefilm are good but the film/TV programme choices aren't as great.

To be fair, both of these are a fraction of the cost of sky and unless you're currently a subscriber, Sky has a 1 year minimum contract period.

Sky Go can only be a viable option for existing subscribers rather than a standalone service like Netflix and LoveFilm IMO.

That is true, but if you do have sky then it's more of a no brainier.
If a cluttered desk is the sign of of a cluttered mind, what is an empty desk a sign of?
ChillieBonBon 24

Postby baggieal » 22 Feb 2013, 16:41

Netflix is the one for me, superb value as has been mentioned earlier in the thread, the range of TV shows is superb for me, watched a stupid amount of stuff on there, movie wise its decent as well, for £6 a month i dont think you can go wrong, they add new stuff every now and then as well which is always a nice bonus when you come across something youve wanted to watch.

The other two i like are Sky Go which we get free because of our subscription to Sky, so being able to watch Sky Sports on the go is great for a sports buff like me :mrgreen:

But i also really like 4OD the choice it has is crazy, near enough every show that has ever been on 4 or E4, you will find it there, excellent stuff, and FREE.
Twitter- @baggieal
Gamertag- baggieal
baggieal 19

Postby Decent_Jam » 22 Feb 2013, 21:19

Have been continuing on with Netflix, really impressed by the way it remembers exactly how far into an episode before you have to run off and do something else, particularly across multiple devices. Internet seems to handle the streaming pretty well too.

I like DVDs and BRs too, don't get me wrong, but it's nice to be able to watch a few episodes of a series without commiting to a boxed set.
Decent_Jam

Game: GT - "Decent Jam"
Tweet: @James_Parry
Email: jamesmparry87@gmail.com
Site - This Is Entertainment: http://jamesmparry.wordpress.com/

Playing : MCC, Sunset O, Destiny, TF, Forza 5, KI - head to OXM Nights to meet up.
Decent_Jam 63

Postby Grummy » 24 Feb 2013, 02:26

CunningSmile wrote:I've got Lovefilm because I'm already a post member and use it constantly for streaming since it came to Xbox. As Bob says it's film section is great for older classics although new stuff can take awhile, and it's TV section isn't too bad (especially if you like ABC shows as they have a deal)

I've had the free subscription for Netflix and just found it a nightmare to navigate. There seemed to be a lot of stuff on there but actually finding anything on a casual browse just seemed too hard, and I got irritated with the fact they start to stream the first episode of a series whilst you're trying to find the episode you wanted.

I've used Blinkbox a couple of times, as it has a really wide selection of up to date films and the pay per view doesn't tie you down. It's more like renting from Blockbuster compared to Lovefilm/Netflix being TV.

I'm also currently signed up with Now because they were giving away 2100 points for a three month trial. The range isn't great at the moment as it's still getting going, and I'm not sure I could justify £15 a month full price, but the one thing it does have in it's favour is that you get access to all the Sky movie channels without being a Sky member so I'd imagine for a major film buff that could be a draw.

Now TV has changed a fair bit recently. I signed up to it today, it doesn't have TV shows, which is bum, but its range of movies is excellent. I signed up for the points though. This time they're giving 800 points for the one month trial and a further 800 points if you continue with it. The price also seems to have dropped to about £8.99 p/m.
One. Warrior. Nation.

"The PS4 reminds me of a Kit-Kat, and I like Kit-Kats" as spoken by the Hetty.
Grummy 67
OXM Moderator

Postby KernowDevil23 » 24 Feb 2013, 20:51

Grummy wrote:The price also seems to have dropped to about £8.99 p/m.

If you are new to NOW TV you get your first 30 days for free. After your trial ends you will automatically get our introductory offer of £8.99 a month for your next 3 months, if you join before 31st March 2013. We'll let you know when the offer's up and if you want to keep on enjoying instant movies it's just £15 for each month.

Maybe worth trying for the points and for 3 months but I'll never pay £15 a month for it.
KernowDevil23 56

Next