to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Bungie's Destiny is an always-online Xbox 360 game with a 20

Your comments on our articles.

Studio visit clears up a few details

As part of our trip over to Bungie's vast studio to hear the first details about its new game Destiny, we learned that the game will definitely be available on Xbox 360 - and while Activision won't formally comment on the subject, it'll be releasing in 2014.... read more

Bungie's Destiny is an always-online Xbox 360 game with a 20

Postby Droidsbane » 17 Feb 2013, 19:35

Destiny awaits!!

really impressed with what i saw in the Vid Doc, and the bits of music heard have a bit more of a Halo vibe to them (though that was expected) than Halo 4s
Droidsbane 33

Re: Bungie's Destiny is an always-online Xbox 360 game with

Postby Metalrodent » 17 Feb 2013, 19:58

always online - well thats not very good for people like me with weak internet
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 67

Postby Bezza89 » 17 Feb 2013, 20:13

Metalrodent wrote:always online - well thats not very good for people like me with weak internet

Aye to that, or me who have reservations about playing with the maturity of a big percentage of xbox live. Or who just like to have a go on my own, no hassle.

Not for me I'm afraid, damn shame.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby SidTheSloth » 17 Feb 2013, 20:17

This kinda sounds to me - obviously at a very high level - a bit 'battlefront-y' which is also played online as i recall?

Difficult for some i agree with internet, and mingling with the asshats of xbox live is also not one of my favourite pastimes, but if done in such a way that they can't 'grief' you then it's possible it could still be groovy with a side of awesome?
Sid is waving. Waving goodbye. It means he's leaving now. He's going. His final message to you, dear reader, is to always wash your hands after making a big pooh, and to remember that Hyrule Warriors is a thing…!
SidTheSloth 53

Postby Bezza89 » 17 Feb 2013, 20:22

SidTheSloth wrote:This kinda sounds to me - obviously at a very high level - a bit 'battlefront-y' which is also played online as i recall?

Difficult for some i agree with internet, and mingling with the asshats of xbox live is also not one of my favourite pastimes, but if done in such a way that they can't 'grief' you then it's possible it could still be groovy with a side of awesome?

If it's like guild wars 2 (which is excellent) then yes, I'd be more interested. But even battlefront was great offline, I mean, I've never actually played it online :oops:

I'd just rather have a SP experience, I don't mind about always online, but I'd prefer an option to play in the world with no one else. I am too quick to dismiss it, I'll admit to that anyway.

Edit; in fact, you saying battlefront has annoyed me more, mainly because I think it would be awesome if the game was playable with just hundreds of bots standing in for humans.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby Decent_Jam » 17 Feb 2013, 20:51

Watched the Vid doc for this too and really like the ideas they are throwing around in there. Granted there's a clear Halo-ness but the fact that the world is unpredictable to the extent they don't know what it's going to do next sounds really exciting.

The always online aspect doesn't really trouble me to be honest. Lag could be an issue of course but realistically if you can just plod along in single player and just have humans around you rather than bots as NPCs then what's the difference? Except possibly a bit more tea-bagging.

Definitely sounds like a purchase for me.
Decent_Jam

Game: GT - "Decent Jam"
Tweet: @James_Parry
Email: jamesmparry87@gmail.com
Site - This Is Entertainment: http://jamesmparry.wordpress.com/

Xbox One : Titanfall, Battlefield 4, Killer Instinct, Forza 5, head to OXM Nights for a meet up.
Decent_Jam 58

Postby Bezza89 » 17 Feb 2013, 21:07

Killstealing, vehicle stealing, loot stealing - lots of theft alongwith the tea-bagging. Maybe even tea-bagging theft? I'll wait and see for this, I want to like it, but the mmo nature and activision... not subscription... it wont have microtransactions too will it? Or will we just have to buy loads of dlc expansions frequently?

Too many questions, not enough answers.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby fracturedrich » 17 Feb 2013, 21:50

Bezza89 wrote:Killstealing, vehicle stealing, loot stealing - lots of theft alongwith the tea-bagging. Maybe even tea-bagging theft? I'll wait and see for this, I want to like it, but the mmo nature and activision... not subscription... it wont have microtransactions too will it? Or will we just have to buy loads of dlc expansions frequently?

Too many questions, not enough answers.

Whatever happen'd to positive thinking bezza?
fracturedrich 45

Postby Bezza89 » 17 Feb 2013, 21:51

Stolen.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby SidTheSloth » 17 Feb 2013, 23:23

Bezza89 wrote:
SidTheSloth wrote:This kinda sounds to me - obviously at a very high level - a bit 'battlefront-y' which is also played online as i recall?

If it's like guild wars 2 (which is excellent) then yes, I'd be more interested. But even battlefront was great offline, I mean, I've never actually played it online :oops:

I'd just rather have a SP experience, I don't mind about always online, but I'd prefer an option to play in the world with no one else. I am too quick to dismiss it, I'll admit to that anyway.

Edit; in fact, you saying battlefront has annoyed me more, mainly because I think it would be awesome if the game was playable with just hundreds of bots standing in for humans.

I don't mean battlefront in the full sense of course, that was quite segmented gameplay with separate missions etc, i meant more the potential for huge battles with multiple classes etc.

I love my solo games, i'll never get tired of running round endless RPG's and in no way do i want to share that experience, but in the same way that something like ME was compromised a little by the inclusion of MP, could the same not be said of Destiny in reverse? If it's an online only game, would adding a specific single player component not harm said development?

They definitely look to be aiming for something that's not been done on console,as Jonty alludes it ticks all of the MMO boxes but the way they're talking suggests there's still some other shit going down too so all we can do is wait-see. To dismiss it this early is undoubtedly your prerogative, but they're talking a good game and seemingly aiming for the stars so at least see how it plays out first.

In my head i've got something like Reach with human controlled soldiers/engineers/whatevers suddenly getting attacked by human controlled invaders - being able to call for support from your own race/allies to save you if getting overwhelmed - imagine air support controlled by human pilots from a nearby moon base etc - run wild with your imagination, remembering it probably won't ever be that good, but at least dare to dream - i fear this over-long, shooter drenched console cycle has rendered you too cynical young hairy padawan... :wink:
Sid is waving. Waving goodbye. It means he's leaving now. He's going. His final message to you, dear reader, is to always wash your hands after making a big pooh, and to remember that Hyrule Warriors is a thing…!
SidTheSloth 53

Postby Bezza89 » 18 Feb 2013, 00:02

I guess it's because I hate MP, I like to play without needing other people to enjoy it (I don't mind enjoying mp when I can, but don't actively search for it) if you can just play for an hour or two whenever you want and not have to rely on other people (they're just there like in guild wars) then good, but from what I've read they are forcing co-op on you, and they're my only gripes. I don't want to have to play with some randomers.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby Thos. » 18 Feb 2013, 10:48

Weird that they arranged loads of press to visit, who then went away with enough info to fill half a sheet of A4 and a dozen concept art pics.

There was some gameplay in the vid, so I suppose there could have been a bit of hands on, hidden by an NDA. Still there really isn't too much here that the rest of us didn't already know.
Thos. 43

Postby CunningSmile » 18 Feb 2013, 10:55

Bezza89 wrote:Stolen.

And possibly teabagged considering he seems to have kept repeating that
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby Lancer Armstrong » 18 Feb 2013, 11:10

An Activision MMO? Sounds like another attempt at milking the average gamer for every last penny.

I love Bungie, but "online only" means I'm out. Too bad.
Lancer Armstrong 23

Postby SkinnerChinner » 18 Feb 2013, 11:30

The 'always online' requirement puts me off...unreliable internet connections y'know, mine often drops out no matter how many times I tweak the router settings (I use an Ethernet connection aswell), can't see why an 'offline' mode can't be included - thought t'was fairly common knowledge the UK broadband infrastructure is lagging behind.
Last edited by SkinnerChinner on 18 Feb 2013, 11:46, edited 2 times in total.
SkinnerChinner 35

Next