to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

Your comments on our articles.

Konami and Platinum shack up for a sworded affair

A lot has been made of Raiden's 'zandatsu' ability. And rightly so. Roughly translated as 'cut (zan) and take (datsu)', it allows him to slow down time and select a cutting angle in order to expose enemy spines. Sever a soldier/bipedal cow mech down the middle and Raiden reaches in and pulls out the spinal cord with the ease of a champion Operation player. He crushes the spinal column, time resumes and the foe falls apart at the seams.... read more

Postby Metalrodent » 19 Feb 2013, 09:33

In fairness a game where you play as a sword wielding ninja warrior should be easy - else he'd just give up and use a gun ;D
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 67

Postby fracturedrich » 19 Feb 2013, 09:49

It has been a long time since i rented a game but i can feel a rental coming on.
fracturedrich 46

Re: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

Postby OXM ETboy » 19 Feb 2013, 10:17

Played the prologue and first level of this last week and felt... nothing. I can admire the combat, but I can't seem to love it. The levels I've played have been full of ponderous cutscene breaks and wooden design kinks like run-away-from-the-explosion-or-you-die. May give it another try tonight, in light of the praise it's getting elsewhere.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby danhalen74 » 19 Feb 2013, 10:49

the demo was clownshoes.
danhalen74 44

Postby CunningSmile » 19 Feb 2013, 10:57

danhalen74 wrote:the demo was clownshoes.

Impractical, oversized and not that funny?
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby danhalen74 » 19 Feb 2013, 11:40

CunningSmile wrote:
danhalen74 wrote:the demo was clownshoes.

Impractical, oversized and not that funny?

absolutely. with that horrific over-earnest bad voice acting with an atrocious script that i remember from all the jap games i played in my youth. or 'yoot' as the crazy kids like to say.
danhalen74 44

Postby sonicmark » 19 Feb 2013, 13:15

I thought it was OK, I even thought it was fun but unfortunately that's about as far as it extends for me, cutscene wise it looks beautiful, but the gameplay felt like it was still stuck in 2010.
sonicmark 28

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 19 Feb 2013, 14:20

My 1st time playing the demo I Wasnt too impressed bu t after a second play through I got the hang of it and really enjoyed the combat. The environments in the demo still felt really drab and empty though. Might be worth picking up when its around £20 as dont fancy paying full price for a game so short
Johnbhoy69 51

Postby Alaric14 » 19 Feb 2013, 14:28

So here's a question for people who played this and the latest Devil May Cry: out of the two, which do you reckon has the most immersive combat? Respond quickly please; this fence is really digging into my buttocks.
Animator, writer, and NPC molester.
Alaric14 35

Postby sonicmark » 19 Feb 2013, 14:45

Alaric14 wrote:So here's a question for people who played this and the latest Devil May Cry: out of the two, which do you reckon has the most immersive combat? Respond quickly please; this fence is really digging into my buttocks.

Viva piñata :lol: couldn't resist.
sonicmark 28

Postby Maverick_McCool » 19 Feb 2013, 15:27

Alaric14 wrote:So here's a question for people who played this and the latest Devil May Cry: out of the two, which do you reckon has the most immersive combat? Respond quickly please; this fence is really digging into my buttocks.

DMC everyday of the week and twice on Sunday. No self respecting action game should tie the parry and main attack to THE SAME FREAKING BUTTON! An appaling design choice and it completley breaks the flow of the combat.

But hey , that's just me.
I used to make arrow in the knee jokes , then Arm Fall Off Boy kicked me in the balls....... Come on Boon , quit teasing us with DLC characters we don't want , give us Arm Fall Off Boy dammit! Or at least give us Detective Chimp........
Maverick_McCool 45

Postby Metalrodent » 20 Feb 2013, 13:17

sonicmark wrote:

Viva piñata :lol: couldn't resist.

THE most hardcore combat I've ever played in a game, totally unrelentless and exhausting
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 67