to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Gearbox boss responds to Colonial Marines critics: "I will l

Your comments on our articles.

Pitchford denies fraud allegations, is "looking into" criticism about demo

In a series of impassioned Tweets, Gearbox Software CEO Randy Pitchford has finally commented on the reception and sales of Aliens: Colonial Marines, and spoken out against allegations that the studio defrauded publisher Sega and misled buyers as to the game's quality.... read more

Gearbox boss responds to Colonial Marines critics: "I will l

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 19 Feb 2013, 19:31

The demo shown was apparently in game footage and looks nothing close to the final product...surely that is grounds for false advertsing/fraud?
Johnbhoy69 54

Re: Gearbox boss responds to Colonial Marines critics: "I wi

Postby Grummy » 19 Feb 2013, 19:59

Johnbhoy69 wrote:The demo shown was apparently in game footage and looks nothing close to the final product...surely that is grounds for false advertsing/fraud?

Nope. All demos come with a 'may not represent final product' spiel at the beginning, legally it protects people from any such accusation.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 65
OXM Moderator

Postby Lazarus22nd » 19 Feb 2013, 20:12

Grummy wrote:
Johnbhoy69 wrote:The demo shown was apparently in game footage and looks nothing close to the final product...surely that is grounds for false advertsing/fraud?

Nope. All demos come with a 'may not represent final product' spiel at the beginning, legally it protects people from any such accusation.

You have to wonder how something clearly looking nice managed to go backwards though, we thought maybe they ran out of money so pushed all the finished bits back to alpha to finish off with the same level over all.

"I love the setting, story and pacing of campaign," I agree with this, but the game had no atmosphere, tension or fear making the rest pretty much obsolete in this universe, play this then go back to AvP and I'd hope people would have a new appreciation for that, especially the marines campaign (AvP was nowhere near as bad as people made out). :)
Lazarus22nd 55

Postby Windowlicker79 » 19 Feb 2013, 20:15

Grummy wrote:

Hmmm. The footage was heavily touted as being an example of what the final game will look like. It was described as a video of somebody actually playing the game. It would be obvious that people would notice the huge drop in quality, so it would have been stupid for them to release the footage saying it was in-game. This is why people want to know what went wrong? Why did the game exist as shown in the video but was then hugely scaled back for no good reason?
http://youtu.be/6lGXDM3LGnk
ಠ_ಠ
Windowlicker79 55

Postby Grummy » 19 Feb 2013, 20:24

Windowlicker79 wrote:
Grummy wrote:

Hmmm. The footage was heavily touted as being an example of what the final game will look like. It was described as a video of somebody actually playing the game. It would be obvious that people would notice the huge drop in quality, so it would have been stupid for them to release the footage saying it was in-game. This is why people want to know what went wrong? Why did the game exist as shown in the video but was then hugely scaled back for no good reason?
http://youtu.be/6lGXDM3LGnk

Where did I say otherwise?

It makes no difference, the demo came with the necessary spiel that covers them. People have a right to be pissed off, but they can't actually do anything about it apart from speak with their wallets.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 65
OXM Moderator

Postby NinthGeorgesw » 19 Feb 2013, 20:26

Am I the only person who actually enjoyed this game? Excluding some slight glitches with textures not loading properly and some slightly low quality cutscenes, I thought the graphics weren't terrible. And at least it actually felt like an Aliens game, with Pulse Rifles and Motion Trackers, unlike AvP.
NinthGeorgesw 42

Postby Grummy » 19 Feb 2013, 20:31

Donald W ‏@DarthTauri
@DuvalMagic so showcasing nothing but the minority of people praising the game IS dishonest. Not trying to be mean.

Randy Pitchford ‏@DuvalMagic
@DarthTauri play the game, then I will value your feelings about it.

Wow, just wow. That is really petty of Pitchford. Someone questions him ignoring critical or difficult comments and showcasing the praise and Pitchford responds with a very very childish 'play the game then I'll care what you say'.

The guys message wasn't about the game, it was about Pitchfords activity, his playing the game or not is irrelevant. Very very petty from Pitchford.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 65
OXM Moderator

Postby Grummy » 19 Feb 2013, 20:35

NinthGeorgesw wrote:Am I the only person who actually enjoyed this game? Excluding some slight glitches with textures not loading properly and some slightly low quality cutscenes, I thought the graphics weren't terrible. And at least it actually felt like an Aliens game, with Pulse Rifles and Motion Trackers, unlike AvP.

No, there are those who have enjoyed the game, but the issue isn't as much with the quality of the game as it is one of ethics and honesty. People quite legitimately feel that GBX have misled them and have not provided the game they promised to make. It may say Aliens on the box, and it may have some content that is true to the property, but it's not the experience it was promised to be. Coupled with rumours of dodgy dealings during development, it means that people are angry and confused and want answers and transparency.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 65
OXM Moderator

Postby Baryonyx » 19 Feb 2013, 21:33

I've got it, and to be fair, it's not great, but it's not absolutely dire either. The biggest issue is that it's nowhere near as good as I hoped it would be. But you have the whole world of gaming media to blame for that, as it's been hyped to hell and back (as was inevitable).

I don't think Gearbox have been dishonest, really. They'd have been crucified by Sega if they said "this is actually a bit of a let down" before it was released. I have always thought of Gearbox as a company that genuinely seeks to serve the gamer. Hence bringing on Duke Nukem Forever at the rabid behest of their fans when they'd probably have rather it never came out looking as shonky as it did. Hence trying to hard with Borderlands, and with this game. But Sega's interest, as well as Gearbox's, is mainly about the bottom line. A recoup of costs, if you will.

The game has it's flaws, but I'm quite enjoying it. Leave your expectations at the door and you'll find some fun. This is hardly the first time we've been delivered a long awaited, big budget turkey and it won't be the last either.
Excalipoor
Baryonyx 40

Postby OXM ETboy » 19 Feb 2013, 21:49

Does anybody here feel like we over-hyped ACM ahead of the review?
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Baryonyx » 19 Feb 2013, 21:54

OXM ETboy wrote:Does anybody here feel like we over-hyped ACM ahead of the review?

Not so much an over-hyping from OXM. If anything, OXM's coverage was one of the things that tripped my Distant Early Warning system. Concerns voiced about shoddy animations and such. Not an open panning of what you'd collectively seen, but enough to suggest to me that something was wrong beyond the corporate glitz and praise I was seeing elsewhere.

From some other sections of the gaming media, there was praise, praise and more praise until the review embargo lifted. That said, you can only trust the gaming media so far. I've enjoyed loads of games that were critically panned and hated some that received nearly universal praise. I certainly don't think that ACM is as bad as it is being made out to be at the moment, either. 6/10 is a fair score, I reckon.
Excalipoor
Baryonyx 40

Postby battfink83 » 19 Feb 2013, 23:03

Grummy wrote:

nope back, the demo people were talking about mainly didnt say that at all, in fact, it said 100% in game footage. also 'may not represent final product' means the demo aint as good as the game will be on release, not the other way round.....

"I'm afraid it looks like I will lose a huge amount of money. We pay for our education..."

its nice to know im paying for someones education and not a game that should be worth the retail price, and i wonder how much money you will lose randy? $50 million maybe?
battfink83 51

Postby Alaric14 » 19 Feb 2013, 23:11

OXM ETboy wrote:Does anybody here feel like we over-hyped ACM ahead of the review?

There was an understandable amount of coverage on the game, given the hype surrounding its faithfulness to the source material, Gearbox's involvement (which was perceived as a developing role at the time), and the initial promise shown by gameplay segments.

Personally I wouldn't begrudge journalists the right to be excited about a product. The review itself read well and justified its negative points about the game, which is the most important thing really. It's just a shame this series of cock-ups surrounding the game's developmental stages has snowballed into such monumental proportions, and the amount of rumours flying around aren't going to win any hearts and minds across the internet forums on the subject of Gearbox's 'honesty'.
Last edited by Alaric14 on 19 Feb 2013, 23:25, edited 1 time in total.
Animator, writer, and NPC molester.
Alaric14 35

Postby Alaric14 » 19 Feb 2013, 23:21

battfink83 wrote:
Grummy wrote:Nope. All demos come with a 'may not represent final product' spiel at the beginning, legally it protects people from any such accusation.

nope back, the demo people were talking about mainly didnt say that at all, in fact, it said 100% in game footage. also 'may not represent final product' means the demo aint as good as the game will be on release, not the other way round.....

"I'm afraid it looks like I will lose a huge amount of money. We pay for our education..."

its nice to know im paying for someones education and not a game that should be worth the retail price, and i wonder how much money you will lose randy? $50 million maybe?

Grummy's point is that, from a purely legal perspective, the demos released over Xbox Live or wherever else are not compelled to be reflective of the final product. Additionally, your and other gamers' interpretations of this wording, 'may not represent final product', does not matter.
Animator, writer, and NPC molester.
Alaric14 35

Postby RetroDad » 20 Feb 2013, 00:06

Nope. Far from it. The coverage from OXM popped my balloon of hope for ACM a long time prior to release.
I'll state what I want to state in whatever state I happen to be in!
RetroDad 35

Next