to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Battlefield could "dethrone" Call of Duty during next gen sw

Your comments on our articles.

"The biggest risk is consumer fatigue."

As we reported last November, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 isn't quite the record-breaking success its predecessors were. You'd have to be a raving idiot to conclude that the franchise is on the rocks - it's still far and away the industry's best-selling shooter, and that modest sales slippage could be attributed to slowing sales across the board - but analysts agree that Activision must work harder to retain pre-eminence in the face of stiff competition from the likes of EA's Battlefield.... read more

Postby sonicmark » 20 Feb 2013, 12:04

It depends on how you look at it, in my eyes, battlefield already has dethroned CoD regardless of review scores.
sonicmark 28

Postby fracturedrich » 20 Feb 2013, 12:14

Battlefield is a lot better than cod,i play both,bf3 online is better than bo2 and its older,ive had good games on bo2,but ive had epic ones on bf3.Why dont they have a break and come up with something better.
fracturedrich 45

Re: Battlefield could "dethrone" Call of Duty during next ge

Postby OXM ETboy » 20 Feb 2013, 12:15

Bring back Bad Company! Bring back Hag! Bring back senses of humour about stuff!
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby CunningSmile » 20 Feb 2013, 12:20

As I've said on another thread (again see educated guess work) I can easily see Activision having real trouble when the next generation launches. CoD survives, and racks up those huge sales, because of the hoards of teenage online players who buy one game a year. That demographic doesn't tend to be early adopters of new consoles purely because they don't have the money so Activision are going to lose a big chunk of their usual market.

New consoles are the time when new IPs florish and old franchises curl up and die, but Activision has done everything in it's power to close studios and axe new games in a bid to focus more and more on just the one game so what will they bring to the next gen table? There's Destiny, but I don't think Bungie will sign up for Activisions usual annual releases, and if Respawn launch something as game changing as Modern Warfare 1 was I can see CoD falling further and further behind as early adopters respond with "but I could play that on 360, why should I play a dodgy port on my shiny new Gertrude?"
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 20 Feb 2013, 12:27

I was bored with COD after modern warefare 2... Its a terrible franchise and needs to go away indefinitely.
Johnbhoy69 51

Postby Bezza89 » 20 Feb 2013, 12:34

BF played its hand too soon by proclaiming to be a 'CoD killer' back in 2011, I'm not sure many people would buy into the hype for 4 even next gen. But CoD will suffer with the main people who buy it not being able to afford a new console, unless they make it next gen exclusive (unlikely) in a bid that would backfire anyway. I think something new like destiny might take the new spot.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby FishyGinger » 20 Feb 2013, 12:54

CunningSmile wrote:As I've said on another thread (again see educated guess work) I can easily see Activision having real trouble when the next generation launches. CoD survives, and racks up those huge sales, because of the hoards of teenage online players who buy one game a year. That demographic doesn't tend to be early adopters of new consoles purely because they don't have the money so Activision are going to lose a big chunk of their usual market.

New consoles are the time when new IPs florish and old franchises curl up and die, but Activision has done everything in it's power to close studios and axe new games in a bid to focus more and more on just the one game so what will they bring to the next gen table? There's Destiny, but I don't think Bungie will sign up for Activisions usual annual releases, and if Respawn launch something as game changing as Modern Warfare 1 was I can see CoD falling further and further behind as early adopters respond with "but I could play that on 360, why should I play a dodgy port on my shiny new Gertrude?"

I agree with this but as I'm too simple to follow more than one opinion.....Bring back Bad Company! Bring back Hag! Bring back senses of humour about stuff!

Activision used to have interesting titles, I'm playing through one now but their ability to drive everything that isn't their 'two' franchises into the ground is quite staggering. Got one of the best racing game developers? Shove them on James Bond, don't market then destroy them. Got a good developer in FPS with elite force, hexen, double helix and jedi outcast in their history, get them to make another very good fps, don't market it at all then shove them on COD BACKUP!!!...then destroy them no doubt.

They deserve to fail and fail hard with a vengeance (afterall, next gen release is a Good day to fail hard) for being so two track minded. One can only hope their hypno-toad dies and people really understand that "pushing the bar for innovation" isn't another suspiciously similar game with no innovation whatsoever.
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
FishyGinger 66

Postby Zombie Trooper » 20 Feb 2013, 13:04

OXM ETboy wrote:Bring back Bad Company! Bring back Hag! Bring back senses of humour about stuff!

Bad Company 3, where are you. The first one was complete insanity, and ranks as one of my favorite shooters, mainly because no other game allowed you to be chased around a golf course in a golf buggy by a tank and a heli, then die after crashing into a rock :lol:. It also always poked fun at other shooters, such Gears Mad World trailer parody, and never took itself seriously. Then Dice thought that BC2 could actually take on CoD, and so the plot lines in the campaigns became more serious, til we reached the grumph of BF3's campaign. A new Bad Company can bring back the lunacy, the insanity, and Haggard's Hazard.

One can only hope their hypno-toad dies and people really understand that "pushing the bar for innovation" isn't another suspiciously similar game with no innovation whatsoever.

I think the most recent CoD games have been getting progressively worse. BlOps 2 hit detection, lag and weapon balancing are some of the worse of the series, and they have had nearly half a decade to perfect it since CoD4 came out all those moons ago, but somehow they have made it worse.
Zombie Trooper 26

Postby Gazisdaman » 20 Feb 2013, 13:10

I read part of the article in the magazine that read something like "we work very hard to keep it fresh" to which I say :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gazisdaman 35

Postby Metalrodent » 20 Feb 2013, 13:11

BF3's multiplayer is already better than CoD, although the lack of private matches and stupid amount of compatibility packs put me off a bit.

Its does need its own unique campaign though:
OXM ETboy wrote:Bring back Bad Company! Bring back Hag! Bring back senses of humour about stuff!

YES - too many shooters nowadays are grim 'realistic; linear campaigns about how America is a victim all the time and must kill the brown guys in order to keep freedom alive, some good old fashion lunacy is just what we need
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 67

Postby Plamsa wing » 20 Feb 2013, 13:30

Hopefully when they do, the multiplayer will be more like Bad Company 2 than Battlefield 3. I thought it was miles better and alot more fun.

Would love the campaign to bring back to gold as well, it's strange how BC 2 seemed to forget about it.
"Hey! Don't lob factual statements at me as if they're insults!"
Plamsa wing 54

Postby danhalen74 » 20 Feb 2013, 13:57

yeah Battlefield is so much better, running for ages to find the action then getting sniped and taking 10 years to respawn....

COD is loads more fun whilst drunk i'll say that for one....

secondly, im off for a pint.
danhalen74 44

Postby danhalen74 » 20 Feb 2013, 13:59

Bad Company was the balls i will say that.

Can we have games with a sense of humour please? if i wanted realism id join the army and get shot in some shithole desert in afghanistan...
danhalen74 44

Postby CunningSmile » 20 Feb 2013, 14:16

danhalen74 wrote: if i wanted realism id join the army and get shot in some shithole desert in afghanistan...

I think we've got the Bad Company 3 tag line right there :lol:
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby FishyGinger » 20 Feb 2013, 14:55

danhalen74 wrote:yeah Battlefield is so much better, running for ages to find the action then getting sniped and taking 10 years to respawn....

COD is loads more fun whilst drunk i'll say that for one....

secondly, im off for a pint.

12 year olds are playing violent games and getting drunk!? The daily mail will pay a handsome reward for my next story, hoohah!
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
FishyGinger 66

Next