to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

The worlds of Destiny: Bungie takes us to Earth, Mars and be

Your comments on our articles.

Drilling down into a mysterious universe

In the world of Destiny, Bungie's interplanetary "shared shooter" for current and next gen consoles, the very best guns have names. Not ubiquitous, abbreviated, military-sounding categories, but names like the Phaser of all Fools, Thorn, Pocket Infinity and Super Good Advice. They're the kind of names you give objects of sentimental value - baffling linguistic aberrations that evolve almost spontaneously from circumstances, names that evoke a turn of events, that somehow stick and begin to accrue history, names not for tools but for personalities.... read more

The worlds of Destiny: Bungie takes us to Earth, Mars and be

Postby kevicus12 » 22 Feb 2013, 22:46

After reading this article and watching the video, I'm getting totally sucked into this. I wish I wasn't - I'm no great fan of how the teaser videos seem to be more about Bungie telling everyone how difficult it is for them to be more amazing than they already are - but they've defo caught my attention. The thing I keep telling myself, though, is that this game isn't going to be open world. It absolutely, definitely isn't going to be open world. It'll be straight mission-based. Without a shadow of a doubt this game will not be open world.

(If this game is open world I will drool every last drop of moisture out of my body)
kevicus12 22

Re: The worlds of Destiny: Bungie takes us to Earth, Mars an

Postby fracturedrich » 22 Feb 2013, 23:20

Enough already,release date would be a start.
fracturedrich 46

Postby Bezza89 » 22 Feb 2013, 23:41

fracturedrich wrote:Enough already,release date would be a start.

Friday, midnight. And also tuesday at 5pm.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby Sandbwoy » 23 Feb 2013, 19:14

The more I see / hear about this game, the more excited I get. It's really caught my imagination, even more so than usual. Looking forward to this.
Sandbwoy 24

Postby ChillieBonBon » 23 Feb 2013, 20:52

Would I be right in thinking that this is like a sy-fy Skyrim, but with a bigger world/s and multiplayer? If it is then my dreams have come true :)

Really liking the way this is turning out and looking forward to see how it will progress.
If a cluttered desk is the sign of of a cluttered mind, what is an empty desk a sign of?
ChillieBonBon 24

Postby Zombie Trooper » 23 Feb 2013, 21:54

I do not doubt Bungie's ability to create a universe on the size that they are talking about, and possibly bigger than that of Halo.

From the very limited information that we have (I think we will not see any more until the reveal of the next xbox), the game sounds like the story will interact with the player, not the other way round. What I mean is that at the moment we as players interact with the story, even with games that extort that they form to players choices. In the end, these choices are limited in number, resulting in scripted endings, whatever the choices you have made in the game, and can sort of make you feel redundant. You still have to interact with certain scripted moments in order for the story for move forwards, going to a certain place, with a certain item, etc, etc. What Destiny sounds like is that they maybe no main quest, as such Bungie have hinted at, I think, and that it is more of what the player makes of their time within the game that makes a story individual to the player.

Bungie maybe making a foundation for players to build upon themselves, that the experiences we have in the game is the story. The only other videogame that I can think of that does this is Minecraft. We are given some historical background, and a physics engine, and then told to explore. If Bungie does this, and pulls off the game play, it will change fundamentally how we play videogames in the future.

Hope I am clear enough :lol:

PS. The stuff that Bungie and Activision are putting up at the moment could just be mediaspeak, and that it could be very much on the lines of go there, shoot said alien, do said thing for the story to continue, but I still think that Destiny will be a good game, viewing Bungie's record since 2001. BUT GOD, if Bungie does make it focus around player exploration of a the environment that they build, it would be fantastic.
Zombie Trooper 26

Postby Joeboy170101 » 03 Mar 2013, 12:33

I swear destiny better be good or ill never forgive bungie for giving up halo (a sci fi fps) and then 'coming up' with another sci fi fps
supersede halo my arse
Joeboy170101 4

Postby DexHaven » 28 Mar 2013, 20:19

Not so much into the Bungie lore at the moment. "Charlemagne" how utterly depressing and predictable. They really seem to have something against other cultures religions and philosophy's . In the age of jet travel and interwebs Tolkien like lore is not on its all a bit last century.

Jut like with Halo the future seems to White Anglicised, Christian and full of guns. God bless America. :roll:
Chandler: Didn't you read Lord of the Rings in high school? Joey: No. I had sex in high school.
DexHaven 26

Postby Dave2123 » 18 Apr 2013, 03:27

If it is like previous comments hope for, it will be amazing and I'm looking forward to it, although I don't think it's as innovative as they're making out. MMOs have been done, RPGs have been done, and FPS have been done. It looks like it's going to be a big Halo game from the video (I actually thought a couple of those shots were from Halo. If they were, sorry).

p.s. I think a massive open world game set in middle earth would be awesome. Also, whats up with 144p; I've never seen that before!
Dave2123 29

Postby Metalrodent » 18 Apr 2013, 11:31

Dave2123 wrote:p.s. I think a massive open world game set in middle earth would be awesome.

um, there is, it's called Lord of the Rings Online
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 67