to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

EA and Microsoft sign next gen exclusivity deal - may involv

Your comments on our articles.

Microsoft to unveil "key" EA partnership at next gen Xbox conference

Microsoft has signed a major next generation Xbox exclusivity deal with EA, according to CVG sources who don't work at either company. That would explain why the publisher had nothing to say at Sony's PS4 reveal, then.... read more

Postby Metalrodent » 27 Feb 2013, 11:45

Dear Microsoft: please ask EA kindly to give Battlefield 4 a proper campaign, not some linear kinda shite CoD ripoff
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 67

Re: EA and Microsoft sign next gen exclusivity deal - may in

Postby OXM ETboy » 27 Feb 2013, 11:47

I second the call for a good campaign.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Gazisdaman » 27 Feb 2013, 11:48

The amount of money that this deal would involve would be a hefty sum even for microsoft, EA would not lightly give up the profits that Battlefield genrates on the playstaion and PC
Gazisdaman 35

Postby Chameleon » 27 Feb 2013, 11:55

Dear EA and Microsoft: Please work out some kind of deal regarding server lifecycle and online passes that doesn't screw the consumer.

OT: Was not expecting this at all. Depending on the level of 'exclusivity' this ought to be good for MS and the Gertrude. I just wish I didn't hate EA's business practices quite as much, so I could get on the bandwagon. Principles are a real pain in the **** sometimes. Oh well.
Chameleon 44

EA and Microsoft sign next gen exclusivity deal, may involve

Postby MILLZY117 » 27 Feb 2013, 11:56

I'm sure it is just DLC exclusivity as a retaliation to Bungie (Destiny) and PS4. I will be massively surprised if it meant Battlefield 4 just on Xbox considering Battlefield 3 sold 6.22 million on PS3 and 6.65 million on Xbox 360. PC sales also equated to 2.33 million. EA would be stupid to lose over half of their potential sales so I'd expect nothing more than a DLC partnership. It could also be a completely different IP (possibly an original IP to combat the likes of Killzone) that they snatched as Bungie's replacement. I love Halo a great deal but if they don't radically evolve Halo 5 I can't see Halo competing with the big boys anymore. Modern shooters are the popular thing these days unfortunately. I wasn't big on Battlefield 3 (Multiplayer was good but I'm much more suited to Halo multiplayer) but hopefully next gen can improve it. The campaign was dire and was only slightly better than the god awful Medal of Honour: Warfighter. They need to stop trying to copy COD with the action sequences etc. and get back to what makes Battlefield good. I personally would've been happy with just Multiplayer shipping with Battlefield 3 as I also didn't think much of the co-op missions.
MILLZY117 9

Postby CunningSmile » 27 Feb 2013, 12:14

I think that at least for the first year this could be a full exclusivity deal. As Ed says EA where noticible by their abscence from Sony's reveal, and whilst Sony have struggled to make a profit the last few years MS have been going from strength to strength and have money to throw around. It's not been worth spending for an exclusive the last few years as a big chunk of the market will have both big consoles, but for the launch of Gertrude those exclusives are what will decide which console pulls ahead and I don't think MS will be counting the pennies when trying to win that battle.
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby Bezza89 » 27 Feb 2013, 12:58

I'm not too sure, I can maybe see timed exclusivity, perhaps up until january, not a year, and as Activision are best mates with MS when it comes to CoD, is there reason to think they'll stop doing that too, or will Xbox be the place for generic modern fps'? :wink:

Seriously, when did that MS exclusivity deal run out for cod? They'll lose loads of money if they don't have that imo.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby Gazisdaman » 27 Feb 2013, 13:03

Based on millzy's figures Microsoft would have to offer at least £400 million for just battlefield exclusivity, including everything else it must be around half a billion, I don't really know much about previous deals microsoft has made but that seems a bit steep even for them.
Gazisdaman 35

Postby CunningSmile » 27 Feb 2013, 13:12

Gazisdaman wrote:Based on millzy's figures Microsoft would have to offer at least £400 million for just battlefield exclusivity, including everything else it must be around half a billion, I don't really know much about previous deals microsoft has made but that seems a bit steep even for them.

They paid $8.5billion for Skype which as a company has only ever made a loss just so they could start to include it in future products. Half a billion is like tipping the waiter to these guys, especially if they think getting the huge selling Madden franchise in the States will let them bury the PS4 at launch.
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby FishyGinger » 27 Feb 2013, 13:23

Gazisdaman wrote:Based on millzy's figures Microsoft would have to offer at least £400 million for just battlefield exclusivity, including everything else it must be around half a billion, I don't really know much about previous deals microsoft has made but that seems a bit steep even for them.

Didn't the spend $8 billion on skype? I don't think multibillion dollar deals phase them. If they think it could marginalise sony by a substantial margin I wouldn't bet against them doing it.

Edit: what he t'up there said...
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
FishyGinger 66

Postby Gazisdaman » 27 Feb 2013, 13:28

CunningSmile wrote:

They paid $8.5billion for Skype which as a company has only ever made a loss just so they could start to include it in future products. Half a billion is like tipping the waiter to these guys, especially if they think getting the huge selling Madden franchise in the States will let them bury the PS4 at launch.

I actually forgot who I was talking about for a brief moment, mind you I didn't factor in any sales for any of EA's other games so including those it will probably be in the billions.
Gazisdaman 35

Postby CunningSmile » 27 Feb 2013, 13:44

It is easy to forget just how deep MS's pockets are. Those guys have money like Bond bad guys have money...although to the best of my knowledge only Nestle have a head office built into a volcano so MS have some catching up to do there.
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby Bezza89 » 27 Feb 2013, 13:46

Gazisdaman wrote:

I actually forgot who I was talking about for a brief moment, mind you I didn't factor in any sales for any of EA's other games so including those it will probably be in the billions.

Mind you you're also making up numbers based on projected profits from sales of games, if you have how much profit EA made for PS3 for the games, rather than assuming 7 million sales, £40 a game etc, actually you didn't get these numbers did you? Besides the point, even if PC and PS3 took up 10 million projected sales for BF4, how much profit would be lost? It would be around £10 per game I'd assume, $100,000,000 maybe? Now I'm making up numbers! MS give them $200,000,000 BF4 sells with every console at say, 5 million, are we going off the lifetime sales of the console like you did with the game? 5 million then, EA get $50M from sales, MS get 5 million gold subscriptions at £40 a pop. I reckon they'd $1Billion dollar it if they wanted it. Can't see it as I don't think BF is popular enough, just using it as a rubbish, made up example.

Timed exclusivity? No brainer, based on my made up figures.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby Gazisdaman » 27 Feb 2013, 14:29

Bezza89 wrote:
Gazisdaman wrote:

Mind you you're also making up numbers based on projected profits from sales of games, if you have how much profit EA made for PS3 for the games, rather than assuming 7 million sales, £40 a game etc, actually you didn't get these numbers did you? Besides the point, even if PC and PS3 took up 10 million projected sales for BF4, how much profit would be lost? It would be around £10 per game I'd assume, $100,000,000 maybe? Now I'm making up numbers! MS give them $200,000,000 BF4 sells with every console at say, 5 million, are we going off the lifetime sales of the console like you did with the game? 5 million then, EA get $50M from sales, MS get 5 million gold subscriptions at £40 a pop. I reckon they'd $1Billion dollar it if they wanted it. Can't see it as I don't think BF is popular enough, just using it as a rubbish, made up example.

Timed exclusivity? No brainer, based on my made up figures.

I made a rough estimate based on the figures in a previous post, assuming that all sales on the PC and PS were made at £40 (admittedly a high estimate), I also assumed that on all other games by EA they could make at least another half a billion thereby putting the figure in the billions and unless EA has a huge debt stuffed away in a stationary cupboard somewhere I think those figures are pretty reasonable and not really just made up at all, I didn't specify how much all the other EA games would turn in if that is what you are referring to. Microsoft essentially needs to match EA's profits on all other consoles to make it worth their while.
Gazisdaman 35

Postby Plamsa wing » 27 Feb 2013, 14:34

Perhaps it may be Mass Effect related? After all, it was once an Xbox exclusive.

Hopefully it's something good, DLC would be a bit of a downer.
"Hey! Don't lob factual statements at me as if they're insults!"
Plamsa wing 54

Next