to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

EA: all our games will have micro-transactions

Your comments on our articles.

"And consumers are enjoying and embracing that way of business."

This should go down well. All future EA releases will support micro-transactions, chief financial officer Blake Jorgensen has told audiences at the Morgan Stanley Technology, Media, and Telecom Conference, via Develop.... read more

Postby Woody_802 » 27 Feb 2013, 12:09

When has anyone 'enjoyed' paying for anything? This upsets me greatly, 'Pay to win' can suck my left testicle.
Woody_802 13

Postby unabatedshagie » 27 Feb 2013, 12:12

I have never bought anything with micropayments and I never will, I also tend to think twice about buying DLC unless it's going to improve the game/experience, I refuse to pay for levels or characters.

If they're going to eventually gimp games in order to "entice" you to buy things in game then I'll just avoid EA games.
unabatedshagie 17

Re: EA: all our games will have micro-transactions

Postby delpoi » 27 Feb 2013, 12:24

I know am probably going to get all the trolls coming out of the woodwork but to be honest I don't care I will admit I have used some of my spare MS points to buy stuff that others see as cheating or not being a gamer which I couldn't give a monkeys about if you want to see me like that then fine but am not that bothered about spending what is basically a few extra quid to get the resources to help me get the weapon I want to craft like in the new dead space game I don't have the hours to put in to earn them off my own back I wish I did so this doesn't bother me what would bother me though is if they put in that you HAVE to buy a certain thing otherwise you can't go any further that would be so WRONG!
delpoi 37

Postby FishyGinger » 27 Feb 2013, 12:31

delpoi wrote:I know am probably going to get all the trolls coming out of the woodwork but to be honest I don't care I will admit I have used some of my spare MS points to buy stuff that others see as cheating or not being a gamer which I couldn't give a monkeys about if you want to see me like that then fine but am not that bothered about spending what is basically a few extra quid to get the resources to help me get the weapon I want to craft like in the new dead space game I don't have the hours to put in to earn them off my own back I wish I did so this doesn't bother me what would bother me though is if they put in that you HAVE to buy a certain thing otherwise you can't go any further that would be so WRONG!

Stand your ground squire. If it's optional as would seem to be the case in dead space 3, or the likes of ME3, then I see no problem with it so long as the balance is right.
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
FishyGinger 66

Postby OXM ETboy » 27 Feb 2013, 12:35

I'm also in the "no harm, no foul" camp. There's nothing inherently wrong with the idea itself.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby delpoi » 27 Feb 2013, 12:45

FishyGinger wrote:
delpoi wrote:I know am probably going to get all the trolls coming out of the woodwork but to be honest I don't care I will admit I have used some of my spare MS points to buy stuff that others see as cheating or not being a gamer which I couldn't give a monkeys about if you want to see me like that then fine but am not that bothered about spending what is basically a few extra quid to get the resources to help me get the weapon I want to craft like in the new dead space game I don't have the hours to put in to earn them off my own back I wish I did so this doesn't bother me what would bother me though is if they put in that you HAVE to buy a certain thing otherwise you can't go any further that would be so WRONG!

Stand your ground squire. If it's optional as would seem to be the case in dead space 3, or the likes of ME3, then I see no problem with it so long as the balance is right.

Thanks, I mean if they use that money that's made extra by the microtransactions to make better games am all for it or as it is stated some AAA games are a gamble and that little bit extra might help to keep those games coming instead of them not taking the plunge and trying to keep pushing on...but most definitely they have to keep a good balance :)
delpoi 37

Postby Bezza89 » 27 Feb 2013, 12:55

Mm, it's probably to combat preowned sales all these new sources of income, though as has been said, most EA games have them anyway, ME3, DS3, BF3, if it has 3 in it it will have these options. I bought a premium kit in ME3 once, a whole 20ms points. Bastards. Funnily enough, Valve don't do games with '3's in them because they don't want to be hated by the ferociously loyal community because you have to put microtransactions in games with 3 in them.

If it's not forced, then I see no harm in allowing people who don't have the time/willpower in playing catch up if they want to, especially in a MP game where unlocks take fupping ages to acquire, and joining the party late could be suicide (try joining BF3 from square one today, 18 months since release). However, I fear that this is the road to free-to-play. Test the waters, then BAM! Dead hookers.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby PonderingWalrus » 27 Feb 2013, 13:11

Selling extra content as micro-transactions is fine by me, it's only when they start to pull content from the main game to sell on the side that I'll get annoyed.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
PonderingWalrus 42

Postby CunningSmile » 27 Feb 2013, 13:15

Bezza89 wrote:Mm, it's probably to combat preowned sales all these new sources of income, though as has been said, most EA games have them anyway, ME3, DS3, BF3, if it has 3 in it it will have these options. I bought a premium kit in ME3 once, a whole 20ms points. Bastards. Funnily enough, Valve don't do games with '3's in them because they don't want to be hated by the ferociously loyal community because you have to put microtransactions in games with 3 in them.

If it's not forced, then I see no harm in allowing people who don't have the time/willpower in playing catch up if they want to, especially in a MP game where unlocks take fupping ages to acquire, and joining the party late could be suicide (try joining BF3 from square one today, 18 months since release). However, I fear that this is the road to free-to-play. Test the waters, then BAM! Dead hookers.

I'm almost afraid to ask but how do you get from micro transactions to EA execs burying sex trade workers in the desert?
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby FishyGinger » 27 Feb 2013, 13:18

Bezza89 wrote:Mm, it's probably to combat preowned sales all these new sources of income, though as has been said, most EA games have them anyway, ME3, DS3, BF3, if it has 3 in it it will have these options. I bought a premium kit in ME3 once, a whole 20ms points. Bastards. Funnily enough, Valve don't do games with '3's in them because they don't want to be hated by the ferociously loyal community because you have to put microtransactions in games with 3 in them.

Fifa 2014 to have macrotransactions. To buy a player in the game you have to spend the real value of the player?
FishyGinger 66

Postby Bezza89 » 27 Feb 2013, 13:38

CunningSmile wrote:
I'm almost afraid to ask but how do you get from micro transactions to EA execs burying sex trade workers in the desert?

It's perfectly logical, to fund the 'free' to play games because you can't play them without mega cash for more than a minute, you turn to drug dealing, then sample the product you noob, become addicted, what good are drugs without hookers? That bitch is OD'ing on me man, and lance didn't answer the phone.

Perfectly logical.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby FishyGinger » 27 Feb 2013, 14:11

Bezza89 wrote:
CunningSmile wrote:

It's perfectly logical, to fund the 'free' to play games because you can't play them without mega cash for more than a minute, you turn to drug dealing, then sample the product you noob, become addicted, what good are drugs without hookers? That bitch is OD'ing on me man, and lance didn't answer the phone.

Perfectly logical.

And you, Cunning, claim I'm as mad as a box of frogs...?
FishyGinger 66

Postby CunningSmile » 27 Feb 2013, 14:16

In Bezza's case I think the mad was the standard issue mad you get when you become a scientist...but that doesn't stop him from occassionally being quite frightening.
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby OXM ETboy » 27 Feb 2013, 14:19

We're all mad here.

/Alice
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Thos. » 27 Feb 2013, 14:23

If paying money means you can get items it normally takes hours to achieve, then you want to ask yourself why are you playing a game where hours of play is a chore?

You may as well pay £2.50 to see the end credits and a Well Played message.

Guess what - grind is not a fundamental aspect of gaming. It's there to extend a lackluster game, or bore/hinder you enough into buying items early.

In the olden days, one or two years ago, the fun part was in actually playing the game, rather than the brief dopamine shot you get from unlocking that shiny weapon after hours of boring grind.
Thos. 43

Next