to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

45% of UK game shops closed in 2012, reveals study

Your comments on our articles.

Survey of 500 town centres shows high street retail in freefall

45 per cent of the UK's game stores closed up in 2012, according to a survey conducted by PwC and the Local Data Company (via the BBC). That's part of a culture-wide run on brick-and-mortar retail which saw an estimated 7,337 shops in total call it quits - an average of 20 stores a day, every day of the year.... read more

45% of UK game shops closed in 2012, reveals study

Postby Metalrodent » 28 Feb 2013, 16:38

this is sad news
Image
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
User avatar
Metalrodent 67
 
Posts: 4199
Joined: 20 Nov 2012, 15:22

Re: 45% of UK game shops closed in 2012, reveals study

Postby smp1987 » 28 Feb 2013, 17:18

It may be sad news but i don't have the money to pay full wack for a new game!! New Tomb Raider for example £42.99 in Game store i got it online for £31.85 with some DLC and free shipping from Shopto.net and get it a day early. I save money on petrol not going to town no car park fee and i don't have to take any time off work win win in my book
User avatar
smp1987 21
 
Posts: 51
Joined: 17 Jul 2010, 12:45
Location: United Kingdom

Re: 45% of UK game shops closed in 2012, reveals study

Postby FishyGinger » 28 Feb 2013, 17:30

smp1987 wrote:It may be sad news but i don't have the money to pay full wack for a new game!! New Tomb Raider for example £42.99 in Game store i got it online for £31.85 with some DLC and free shipping from Shopto.net and get it a day early. I save money on petrol not going to town no car park fee and i don't have to take any time off work win win in my book


It certainly is win win. Only we won't have a high street in a few years.

I'm not saying that's your fault by the by. Just that we can't have our cake an...sorry, getting too close to being fillasockafull again.
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
User avatar
FishyGinger 66
 
Posts: 3730
Joined: 08 Aug 2012, 13:42

Re: 45% of UK game shops closed in 2012, reveals study

Postby smp1987 » 28 Feb 2013, 18:06

yes it is true the high street will die but unless games prices drop every one will shop online, getting the developers to drop there selling price to the shops wont happen a mate of mine runs a small game shop retro stuff ect he said to get a copy of dead space 3 EA sell them to him for £33 without VAT and you wonder why games are so expensive he makes about 20p on each game
User avatar
smp1987 21
 
Posts: 51
Joined: 17 Jul 2010, 12:45
Location: United Kingdom

Re: 45% of UK game shops closed in 2012, reveals study

Postby zacho 666 » 28 Feb 2013, 19:21

It is sad since now I have to buy all my games from play.com, Amazon etc... Its really sad :cry:
CANADA BABY!
User avatar
zacho 666 25
 
Posts: 99
Joined: 12 Apr 2012, 14:22
Location: United Kingdom

Re: 45% of UK game shops closed in 2012, reveals study

Postby fracturedrich » 28 Feb 2013, 20:31

smp1987 wrote:It may be sad news but i don't have the money to pay full wack for a new game!! New Tomb Raider for example £42.99 in Game store i got it online for £31.85 with some DLC and free shipping from Shopto.net and get it a day early. I save money on petrol not going to town no car park fee and i don't have to take any time off work win win in my book

Game just charged me £44.99 for ds3 and crysis 3,that wont be happening again as they are just taking the mick, so i will order tomb raider from shopto and balls to the high street.
fracturedrich 46
 
Posts: 926
Joined: 03 Aug 2012, 10:52
Location: United Kingdom

Re: 45% of UK game shops closed in 2012, reveals study

Postby munkynutz84 » 28 Feb 2013, 21:45

After the Halo 4 launch i won't be pre ordering from a retail store again I'm a Halo fan so i pre ordered the console the limited edition game and extra pad etc after checking the price online and asking the store if it will be the same price at midnight launch i was told "yeah probably" So then to be charged full RRP I feel like there is no point in being a loyal customer when we get the bum deal.
munkynutz84 46
 
Posts: 2
Joined: 28 Feb 2013, 21:42
Location: United Kingdom

Re: 45% of UK game shops closed in 2012, reveals study

Postby Sandbwoy » 28 Feb 2013, 23:36

45% damn that's a shocking statistic! High street retailers are clearly doomed. It's a shame, I can't imagine a world where I won't be able to casually stroll into a shop and spend ages browsing games on shelves. What is the world coming to?
Sandbwoy 24
 
Posts: 167
Joined: 15 Jan 2013, 16:39
Location: United Kingdom

Re: 45% of UK game shops closed in 2012, reveals study

Postby Drainwater » 01 Mar 2013, 00:12

That sucks. It's a shame the argument over pre-owned has to swing from one extreme to another. And both sides won't be satisfied with some kind of compromise. I read somewhere recently that a possible middle ground might be having people pay a fee to use second hand games, and I have to say, that sounds almost acceptable to me. Of course, I'm sure that idea will give plenty of people a hate boner.
Drainwater 34
 
Posts: 297
Joined: 16 Mar 2012, 13:37

Re: 45% of UK game shops closed in 2012, reveals study

Postby Spartan Edge » 01 Mar 2013, 23:41

I've said this before & i'll say this again. While it can be argued that high street prices on games are a little higher than online,I think shops should be given a fair opportunity to compete on an even footing with online businesses,by selling games to retail a bit cheaper to let them offer a competitive & comparable price to the customer than online does. At least its a fair contest then,& then purely comes down to preference of whether you want to order it online or pick it up yourself. If we don't start enabling stores to at least be competitive,the economy is going to start suffering with less people going into town,having a knock on effect for other businesses,not to mention a rise in unemployment,as shops close letting staff go. As i say,bad for the economy.

Slight price difference aside,the main draw for me,was getting my game delivered before release,but i've noticed that games are now coming either the day before at best or on release day itself,& this was on the used to be good ShopTo.net. Nowdays,i may as well pick it up from the shop myself,as i'll have the game sooner. Sooner than that even,if the game has a midnight launch. I've actually gone back to buying at retail now. At least i know i'll get the game launch day guaranteed,& in the morning,instead of the afternoon when the post comes..
Spartan Edge 13
 
Posts: 80
Joined: 11 Aug 2011, 05:46
Location: United Kingdom

Re: 45% of UK game shops closed in 2012, reveals study

Postby Spartan Edge » 01 Mar 2013, 23:48

FishyGinger wrote:
smp1987 wrote:It may be sad news but i don't have the money to pay full wack for a new game!! New Tomb Raider for example £42.99 in Game store i got it online for £31.85 with some DLC and free shipping from Shopto.net and get it a day early. I save money on petrol not going to town no car park fee and i don't have to take any time off work win win in my book


It certainly is win win. Only we won't have a high street in a few years.

I'm not saying that's your fault by the by. Just that we can't have our cake an...sorry, getting too close to being fillasockafull again.


Also,its the knock on effect to the economy & rise in unemployment due to job cuts i worry about. Shops should be given concessions on the price to buy their games in so they can offer the same prices & at least compete on an even footing with online company's. It doesn't seem fair,its like making the shops fight with one hand tied behind their backs. Give them a fair crack,& allow them to offer comparable & competitive prices i say. as i've said,deliveries,even from Shopto are getting later & later,so with that perk taken out of the equasion,i'm going back to retail anyway. At least the game is guaranteed on launch day & i can be playing it in the morning intead of the afternoon when the mail comes.Sooner still if its a midnight launch.
Spartan Edge 13
 
Posts: 80
Joined: 11 Aug 2011, 05:46
Location: United Kingdom

Re: 45% of UK game shops closed in 2012, reveals study

Postby CunningSmile » 04 Mar 2013, 11:29

Spartan Edge wrote:I've said this before & i'll say this again. While it can be argued that high street prices on games are a little higher than online,I think shops should be given a fair opportunity to compete on an even footing with online businesses,by selling games to retail a bit cheaper to let them offer a competitive & comparable price to the customer than online does. At least its a fair contest then,& then purely comes down to preference of whether you want to order it online or pick it up yourself. If we don't start enabling stores to at least be competitive,the economy is going to start suffering with less people going into town,having a knock on effect for other businesses,not to mention a rise in unemployment,as shops close letting staff go. As i say,bad for the economy.

Slight price difference aside,the main draw for me,was getting my game delivered before release,but i've noticed that games are now coming either the day before at best or on release day itself,& this was on the used to be good ShopTo.net. Nowdays,i may as well pick it up from the shop myself,as i'll have the game sooner. Sooner than that even,if the game has a midnight launch. I've actually gone back to buying at retail now. At least i know i'll get the game launch day guaranteed,& in the morning,instead of the afternoon when the post comes..


But why would anyone sell their products to shops at less money? Businesses are in the business of making money and if they sell at a discount they will then end up in trouble.

There are certain businesses that just don't work well in a shop front in the modern world. Games, DVDs and electrical equipment can all be bought cheaper in the virtual world than in the physical world but to say that spells the death of the high street is wrong. Southampton (where I live) looks healthier now than it has in years, despite Game and HMV going bust, because there are certain things that just don't make sense to buy online. Clothes, food and drink etc are rushing to fill the voids left by the death of giants that failed to move with the times and the high street is looking healthier than it has in years because these washed up pensioners are no longer bed blocking. In most cases the problem isn't online, it's business heads that don't know how to run a business.
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
User avatar
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator
 
Posts: 9308
Joined: 03 Aug 2009, 15:17
Location: United Kingdom

Re: 45% of UK game shops closed in 2012, reveals study

Postby FishyGinger » 04 Mar 2013, 12:26

CunningSmile wrote:
But why would anyone sell their products to shops at less money? Businesses are in the business of making money and if they sell at a discount they will then end up in trouble.

There are certain businesses that just don't work well in a shop front in the modern world. Games, DVDs and electrical equipment can all be bought cheaper in the virtual world than in the physical world but to say that spells the death of the high street is wrong. Southampton (where I live) looks healthier now than it has in years, despite Game and HMV going bust, because there are certain things that just don't make sense to buy online. Clothes, food and drink etc are rushing to fill the voids left by the death of giants that failed to move with the times and the high street is looking healthier than it has in years because these washed up pensioners are no longer bed blocking. In most cases the problem isn't online, it's business heads that don't know how to run a business.


The ones normally filling the gaps are pound shops though which isn't especially healthy but I see what you're getting at. There obviously is a place on the high street, there have been game shops about for 20 odd years but they need to have a closer relationship with their own online stores and offer something you can't get online.

Find online can be quite soulless and I'm not a fan of buying electronics online, like to see and feel what I'm getting with most things but games and dvds are different, so game/hmv need to offer something you can't get with online shopping.
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
User avatar
FishyGinger 66
 
Posts: 3730
Joined: 08 Aug 2012, 13:42


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 6 guests

The forum teamDelete all forum cookiesAll times are UTC [ DST ]