to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Impulse buys: Xbox 360's greatest videogame stories

Your comments on our articles.

Eight yarns you need to experience

Traditional narrative structures and gameplay don't always get along swimmingly, for much the same reason that household pets don't always get along with food blenders. Writing in a straight line from A to B is difficult when there's a player involved, poking inquisitively off the beaten path - either your storyline loses thrust and coherence to accommodate experimentation, or you lock the player to the rails and thus, all but exterminate what makes this medium distinctive.... read more

Impulse buys: Xbox 360's greatest videogame stories

Postby Darth Mousemat » 01 Mar 2013, 14:39

Red Dead Redemption is my suggestion. It's the one game that makes me feel like I'm in a proper spaghetti western through it's story and other things...The songs at certain points in the game also help.
Darth Mousemat 24

Re: Impulse buys: Xbox 360's greatest videogame stories

Postby SidTheSloth » 01 Mar 2013, 14:42

No DA:Origins again?! :shock: You sir, are now very much bordering on sloth-rage baiting territory!! >shakes fist<

The story by fantasy standards is admittedly a bit generic, but it's a helluva ride to get there!
Sid is waving. Waving goodbye. It means he's leaving now. He's going. His final message to you, dear reader, is to always wash your hands after making a big pooh, and to remember that Hyrule Warriors is a thing…!
SidTheSloth 53

Postby OXM ETboy » 01 Mar 2013, 14:45

I apologise profusely :( I have yet to complete either game.

/contemplates adding DA2 and Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood, just to piss everybody off
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby ItchyRash » 01 Mar 2013, 14:48

Red Dead is a great call. I recently got round to playing Bastion and wasn't all the impressed. Minervas Den was great but that's not to say the main game wasn't equally fantastic. I think the story in Bioshock 1 was best though. Lost Odyssey had a great story as well. Obviously verging on the ridiculous but a JRPG should be. Enslaved was a fantastic game. Such a shame it was overlooked by so many. Can't think of any others that weren't mentioned on your list. I'm sure someone will suggest something and I'll wonder how I forgot that
ItchyRash 42

Postby SidTheSloth » 01 Mar 2013, 14:50

OXM ETboy wrote:I apologise profusely :( I have yet to complete either game.

/contemplates adding DA2 and Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood, just to piss everybody off

You haven't completed Origins?! :shock: And you call yourself an RPG-fan? Tsk, i am off to whip up the internet into a cloud of hate and vitriol... Oh, seems someone beat me to that a long time ago!

I'm not angry really, just disappointed. :o
Sid is waving. Waving goodbye. It means he's leaving now. He's going. His final message to you, dear reader, is to always wash your hands after making a big pooh, and to remember that Hyrule Warriors is a thing…!
SidTheSloth 53

Postby Bezza89 » 01 Mar 2013, 14:51

Damn straight, get DA:O complete, you can't call yourself an aficianado (no spellcheck, apologies) of yarns without this under your belt.

From me, try playing Oblivions Dark Brotherhood questline - that was brilliant.
Trianglular Sandwiches advocate against remakes of games, except Halo MC collection and GTAV... and metro... and minecraft.
Bezza89 67

Postby OXM ETboy » 01 Mar 2013, 14:55

Well, the trouble with Origins is that I read the ending on a wiki somewhere. Also, I have this habit of constructing wishy-washy mage-rogue builds that are good for precisely nothing and thus, generally ensure that I hit a brick wall two thirds of the way through.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby SidTheSloth » 01 Mar 2013, 14:56

Ed's To-Do list for March:

Dragon Age: Origins - Complete
Dragons Dogma - Complete
Dark Souls - Complete
Dragon Age 2 - Complete
Article examining every wrong move made with DA2 compared to the original and how this should be remedied for 3 - Write
Article examining why Dragon Age 3 will receive negative criticism regardless of how good it actually is as it's published by EA - write

Anyone else any suggestions? :)

PS: I was going to add 'Skyrim - complete by end of 2013' but i believe to-do lists should be realistic and i have no idea how anyone can ever consider Skyrim 'complete'...

PPS: Did that Jonty guy we occasionally hear from ever complete Mass Effect too? I remember he made a similar admission a long time ago and was never sufficiently vilified!!
SidTheSloth 53

Postby Bezza89 » 01 Mar 2013, 15:04

SidTheSloth wrote:Ed's To-Do list for March:

Dragons Dogma - Complete
Dark Souls - Complete
Dragon Age 2 - Complete
Article examining every wrong move made with DA2 compared to the original and how this should be remedied for 3 - Write
Article examining why Dragon Age 3 will receive negative criticism regardless of how good it actually is as it's published by EA - write

Hmm, Dragons dogma Dark arisen is out in april, so I'd take that off, and dark souls should be left so Dragon Age can realistically be completed and those comparison things I'd love to read could be done. Or you could write it Sid. If I did it I'd have to reference bacon and would get needlessly off topic and over angry at people who say 2 is rubbish.
Trianglular Sandwiches advocate against remakes of games, except Halo MC collection and GTAV... and metro... and minecraft.
Bezza89 67

Postby Grummy » 01 Mar 2013, 15:12

I'd put Dragon's Dogma-Complete top of that list so he's ready for the expansion and can play it with us.

All joking aside for a moment, the one thing that has really been missing since you've been here and reinvigorated the online side of OXM, Ed, has been settling in for some proper gaming sessions with us (not a criticism, just an observation). You've seen our Dragon's Dogma mega thread, so you know how wrapped up in it we were for a while, I think being ready for that expansion and being a regular part of that with us could, at the very least, make for an interesting 'community feature'. I remember 10-15 years ago when I was playing Tabletop Warhammer/40K I'd buy White Dwarf every month and at the end of each issue they'd lay out a battle they'd had and nicely mix the details of the battle with lovely descriptive language that brought the otherwise mind numbing task of rolling dice and shoving units of men around to life. I think a similar feature describing both your journey through the DLC and interweaving the shared adventures of the rest of us at the same time would make for an exciting read.

Now, back on topic, The Walking Dead really needs to be on that list. The best storytelling in games this generation, perhaps ever.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 65
OXM Moderator

Postby ItchyRash » 01 Mar 2013, 15:36

Grummy wrote:Now, back on topic, The Walking Dead really needs to be on that list. The best storytelling in games this generation, perhaps ever.

And there it is. The one I forgot. Also Alan Wake, Metro 2033 and I really enjoyed the story and the telling of it in ODST
ItchyRash 42

Postby OXM ETboy » 01 Mar 2013, 15:39

Grummy wrote:I remember 10-15 years ago when I was playing Tabletop Warhammer/40K I'd buy White Dwarf every month and at the end of each issue they'd lay out a battle they'd had and nicely mix the details of the battle with lovely descriptive language that brought the otherwise mind numbing task of rolling dice and shoving units of men around to life.

I remember those - they were awesome. I bought Battlefleet Gothic on the strength of a battle report. I'd love to do more community stuff, and I'm Thinking Thoughts about how we're going to handle Dark Arisen. Resources are pretty scarce right now though - we've yet to replace Mike and Matt for all sorts of fascinating internal company reasons.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby OXM ETboy » 01 Mar 2013, 15:40

SidTheSloth wrote:Ed's To-Do list for March:

Dragons Dogma - Complete
Dark Souls - Complete
Dragon Age 2 - Complete

PS: I was going to add 'Skyrim - complete by end of 2013' but i believe to-do lists should be realistic and i have no idea how anyone can ever consider Skyrim 'complete'...

PPS: Did that Jonty guy we occasionally hear from ever complete Mass Effect too? I remember he made a similar admission a long time ago and was never sufficiently vilified!!

/cardiac arrest
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby FishyGinger » 01 Mar 2013, 15:40

What about gears of war, that had stuff and things and chainsaws going zip whip and zaaooong and boom and stuff.

Actually Red Dead is a good shout. I would have said metro and alan wake too but I'll be buggered if I can remember any of it.

As for the Slothy list, out of those I've only done dragon age origins so I can't complain. Even then I can't remember the ending very well.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 68

Postby FishyGinger » 01 Mar 2013, 15:41

OXM ETboy wrote:
I remember those - they were awesome. I bought Battlefleet Gothic on the strength of a battle report. I'd love to do more community stuff, and I'm Thinking Thoughts about how we're going to handle Dragon's Dogma. Resources are pretty scarce right now though - we've yet to replace Mike and Matt for all sorts of fascinating internal company reasons.

Reasons being from large godzilla like attacks or because Future aren't willing to invest?

Maybe I should call them "The Company" but that sounds evil.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 68

Next