to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag - eight ways it's a totally d

Your comments on our articles.

First look at Ubisoft's nautical fourth outing

We were going to introduce you to Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag with a "proper", joined-up preview, written in coherent sentences with many an allusion to classical literature - but then helpful old Uncle Internet leaked a release date, trailer and screenshots ahead of schedule, which caused helpful old Ubisoft to move the embargo forward by seven whole hours. The "proper" preview is on its way - in the meantime, here are the key things that separate this game from its predecessors.... read more

Postby Gazisdaman » 04 Mar 2013, 11:55

I'm glad to see that they have taken the feedback from AC3 to heart, a character more similar to Ezio and an increased level of the naval content (which most people agreed was the best bit) shows that much. Hopefully the franchise can redeem itself here, and this will be the game that I had hoped AC3 would be.
Gazisdaman 35

Postby AriesFour » 04 Mar 2013, 12:00

"Connor has learned a trick or two from Assassin's Creed 3's Jason Brody"

I'd suggest changing the facts a little here guys, Connor isn't in this new game, it's Edward Kenway, also Jason Brody was in Far Cry 3 not Assassin's Creed 3. Well done!
AriesFour 2

Re: Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag - eight ways it's a total

Postby OXM ETboy » 04 Mar 2013, 12:02

AriesFour wrote:"Connor has learned a trick or two from Assassin's Creed 3's Jason Brody"

I'd suggest changing the facts a little here guys, Connor isn't in this new game, it's Edward Kenway, also Jason Brody was in Far Cry 3 not Assassin's Creed 3. Well done!

And that's what happens when I'm asked to write 1300 words in 45 minutes on a Monday morning with no prior warning. Huzzah! Edited.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Metalrodent » 04 Mar 2013, 12:06

OXM ETboy wrote:And that's what happens when I'm asked to write 1300 words in 45 minutes on a Monday morning with no prior warning.

should start dropping hidden angry rants into your pieces
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 67

Postby AriesFour » 04 Mar 2013, 12:09

OXM ETboy wrote:
AriesFour wrote:"Connor has learned a trick or two from Assassin's Creed 3's Jason Brody"

And that's what happens when I'm asked to write 1300 words in 45 minutes on a Monday morning with no prior warning. Huzzah! Edited.

Don't you just love this age of instant media? :-D

This new entry is looking really interesting though. It might just prove to be one of the first games worth getting on the next gen consoles. As much as I loved Far Cry 3 you could tell it was creaking a bit on this generation of consoles. The Caribbean in all it's glory with the power of the PS4 and Nextbox. OH MY!
AriesFour 2

Postby CunningSmile » 04 Mar 2013, 12:13

I've been saying for years I'd love a decent pirate game and finally looks like we'll get one. Not sure how well it'll work as an Assassin's Creed, but should hopefully still be fun.

And glad they might be reducing the modern stuff a bit. Was there anyone out there who genuinely enjoyed Desmond and found his chunks anything other than a cruel wrench away from the real game? I think even Ubisoft felt this, since they never mentioned or showed Desmond on trailers or box art whilst at the same time insisting he was the real star.
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby Metalrodent » 04 Mar 2013, 12:17

CunningSmile wrote:And glad they might be reducing the modern stuff a bit. Was there anyone out there who genuinely enjoyed Desmond and found his chunks anything other than a cruel wrench away from the real game? I think even Ubisoft felt this, since they never mentioned or showed Desmond on trailers or box art whilst at the same time insisting he was the real star.

I liked Demond in the first game, when he had no idea who he was, why he was there and why he being forced to do that stuff. Lost interest when they expanded on it
Metalrodent 67

Postby OXM ETboy » 04 Mar 2013, 12:20

AriesFour wrote:Don't you just love this age of instant media? :-D

At some point I will find out who leaked everything last week - and then, good sirs and madams, I will murder him. Or the nearest Ubisoft PR rep. Whoever strays within swinging distance first. ;)

@Cunning

Agreed that it's good to see the back of Desmond - the whole Animus recollection thing remains a useful device, but the narrative they attached to it was, IMO, utterly charmless.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby vadersmyfather » 04 Mar 2013, 12:33

"Ubisoft has yet to explain exactly how this will pan out, but it sounds like there's no longer a modern character as such - just a present-day context for your actions in the past."

Thank the Lord.

CunningSmile wrote:Was there anyone out there who genuinely enjoyed Desmond and found his chunks anything other than a cruel wrench away from the real game? I think even Ubisoft felt this, since they never mentioned or showed Desmond on trailers or box art whilst at the same time insisting he was the real star

The whole Desmond thingy is dreadful. Why they could not have just made a game set in the past about Assassins is beyond me.

And, whoever thought that idea of using the name Desmond was a good idea...
I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid it dseno't mttaer the oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer are in the rhgit pclae.
vadersmyfather 46

Postby battfink83 » 04 Mar 2013, 13:16

vadersmyfather wrote:
The whole Desmond thingy is dreadful. Why they could not have just made a game set in the past about Assassins is beyond me.

And, whoever thought that idea of using the name Desmond was a good idea...

'tis the reason why ive never been a fan, never owned an assassins creed, that nonsense sucks you right out of the imersion, ive rented all of them, and sent them back after a few short hours, all the silly modern day stuff thats involved just ruins it.

if this was a pure pirate title then ill buy it, it actually sounds great
battfink83 47

Postby PaladinRonin » 04 Mar 2013, 13:16

I'll admit, this article has made the game seem very interesting and so far, it appears as if UbiSoft may have listened to player feedback about AC III, which, in my opinion, was a bit of a let down in many places, most noticably, the main character and plot.
Since it looks like the navel mechanics will be returning, I really hope they have been refined, The navel missions were really fun in AC III and I like the idea of the seas being a possible sandbox. Also, with the apparently virsitility of how you engange a navel combat, it should make navel combat even more fun than it was in AC III.
The apparent return of "Borgia Towers" is good news. I know they were technicly back in AC III, but it really didn't feel as if liberating forts from the British actually did as much. I'm not sure, maybe it was just me.
I've noticed, however, there has been nothing on multiplayer (at lest to my knowlege.) I have always thought that the navel missions from AC III would be fun to play with a friend or two, so I very much hope we will see this.
However, one concern I have is the new main chracter. I never liked Connor as I felt he was only using the Creed to furter in own ends and that he was a selfish and arrogant person who didn't mature over the years (unlike Ezio) so I hope that Kenway does not suffer from the same symtoms.
Also, no more Desmond? I can't see that being true. Without spoiling the ending for AC III, thoese who have completed it know it was another clifhanger and nothin is certain. I suspect the unnamed person will mostly likly be an addional chracter. That, and we have still to see what happns to the rest of Desmons group.
"I am justice incarnate: Brought to this world by forces beyond your comprehension. A cleansing storm to sweep across the land and purge it of your foul presence. I am Dust."
PaladinRonin 31

Postby FishyGinger » 04 Mar 2013, 13:41

We're whalers on the moon, we carry a harpoon, there are no whales so we tell tall tales and sing our whaling tune.

I've had that song in my head for hours and I can't dislodge it. I blame everyone here.
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
FishyGinger 66

Postby Metalrodent » 04 Mar 2013, 13:43

FishyGinger wrote:We're whalers on the moon, we carry a harpoon, there are no whales so we tell tall tales and sing our whaling tune.

I've had that song in my head for hours and I can't dislodge it. I blame everyone here.

sorry
Metalrodent 67

Postby battfink83 » 04 Mar 2013, 14:02

CunningSmile wrote:I've been saying for years I'd love a decent pirate game and finally looks like we'll get one.

how dare you.... lego pirates of the carribean be a real toe curler!!!!

seriously though, its great fun ;)
battfink83 47

Postby Metalrodent » 04 Mar 2013, 14:31

battfink83 wrote:
CunningSmile wrote:I've been saying for years I'd love a decent pirate game and finally looks like we'll get one.

how dare you.... lego pirates of the carribean be a real toe curler!!!!

seriously though, its great fun ;)

Still didn't beat Somali Pirate Simulator 2012
Metalrodent 67

Next