to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

DICE: we've "forced the industry to step up" with our Battle

Your comments on our articles.

People want more than just maps, says End Game producer

I think we can all agree that DICE has had a pretty good run with Battlefield 3's DLC packs - they're among the most content-heavy (albeit pricey) multiplayer add-ons Xbox Live has to offer. The forthcoming End Game, for instance, introduces four new maps, a couple of modes, new vehicles (including m0t0rbik3s) and a new Dropship feature for Conquest.... read more

DICE: we've "forced the industry to step up" with our Battle

Postby Gazisdaman » 05 Mar 2013, 12:15

I think somebody's got a case of the bungies. :roll:
Gazisdaman 35
 
Posts: 151
Joined: 01 Nov 2011, 00:18
Location: United Kingdom

DICE: we've "forced the industry to step up" with our Battle

Postby Metalrodent » 05 Mar 2013, 12:20

Worthwhile DLC is always nice and its good to see companies putting effort into them, but as mentioned here the main problem is that most of the decent ones cost 1200 points - not a decision to be taken lightly
Image
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
User avatar
Metalrodent 70
 
Posts: 4963
Joined: 20 Nov 2012, 15:22

DICE: we've "forced the industry to step up" with our Battle

Postby Bezza89 » 05 Mar 2013, 12:26

Yes and no, the maps are good value when not bought separately - maximum of 1000 each, generally 800 if you count karkand. But this is only comparitively good value to other games stupidly priced maps, though admittedly you get more than maps.

However, it seems everyone else is doing season passes, not letting you know what is in them, and it just seems like a silly way to get you to keep the game longer, whilst alienating the people who aren't into buying every map ever.

Then there's how good vietnam was, a real fresh take on the gameplay, and how BF3s maps were all just BF3. The aftermath gametype could have changed everything, scarce ammo - no guns that worked properly etc. Missed opportunity.

So yes DICE, you've forced the industry to step up, but I get the feeling we're (the customers) just below this step making a bridge for you to walk all over us on.
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
User avatar
Bezza89 67
 
Posts: 7603
Joined: 17 May 2010, 13:30
Location: United Kingdom

Re: DICE: we've "forced the industry to step up" with our Ba

Postby JOHZN » 05 Mar 2013, 15:41

How are developers going to justify DLC when next gen gets here?? The disks are going to be able to hold massive amounts of data so they can't pull that one anymore. Every launch game for the 360 barely scratched the surface of what could be done and left plenty of room on the disk for more to be done... I expect every launch game for the 720 to be the same, probably brilliant but I doubt the disk will be full. Its probably going to be a few years before we max out a console like that, but im willing to stake my left foot that we get day one DLC with 90% of the launch titles. Why I here you ask because buying DLC has become programmed into our fickel human minds as an ok thing to do. Here buy this game its only got 75% of the intended content on it but were going to charge you for the rest at a later date. i can see why they need to do it with some game eg beef 3 because its a massively huge game. But any game on next gen that releases with day one DLC will be boycotted by me and I'll encourage my friends to do the same. Final thought: its not ok to rip gamers off.
JOHZN 19
 
Posts: 21
Joined: 05 Mar 2013, 15:22

Re: DICE: we've "forced the industry to step up" with our Ba

Postby CunningSmile » 05 Mar 2013, 16:01

JOHZN wrote:How are developers going to justify DLC when next gen gets here?? The disks are going to be able to hold massive amounts of data so they can't pull that one anymore. Every launch game for the 360 barely scratched the surface of what could be done and left plenty of room on the disk for more to be done... I expect every launch game for the 720 to be the same, probably brilliant but I doubt the disk will be full. Its probably going to be a few years before we max out a console like that, but im willing to stake my left foot that we get day one DLC with 90% of the launch titles. Why I here you ask because buying DLC has become programmed into our fickel human minds as an ok thing to do. Here buy this game its only got 75% of the intended content on it but were going to charge you for the rest at a later date. i can see why they need to do it with some game eg beef 3 because its a massively huge game. But any game on next gen that releases with day one DLC will be boycotted by me and I'll encourage my friends to do the same. Final thought: its not ok to rip gamers off.


Is there a single dev that claims that they have DLC because it wouldn't fit on the disc? I can't think of one. It takes months for a finished game to to be put on disc and shipped out to us, and day one DLC is what they are up to in those months, the only way that could be put on disc is to delay the release but even then you'd still have that couple of months gap in which they'd create more DLC.. Later DLC often doesn't even get started until after the release date, or did you think Dragonborn released a year after Skyrim should have been on the disc?
Confirmation Bias is a bad thing, I've read a book that agreed with me about that
User avatar
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator
 
Posts: 10580
Joined: 03 Aug 2009, 15:17
Location: United Kingdom

Re: DICE: we've "forced the industry to step up" with our Ba

Postby Metalrodent » 05 Mar 2013, 16:26

Bezza89 wrote:Then there's how good vietnam was, a real fresh take on the gameplay

Is it true that they made it harder to win if you played as the Vietnamese? Remember reading about someone saying it was unfair both gameplay wise and historical bias
Image
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
User avatar
Metalrodent 70
 
Posts: 4963
Joined: 20 Nov 2012, 15:22

Re: DICE: we've "forced the industry to step up" with our Ba

Postby Bezza89 » 05 Mar 2013, 17:19

Not sure. To start maybe, you unlocked guns as you go... american tech is better and I can't remember if they did like BF3 and had weapons associated with each country, so america would have guns and vc would have sticks and suicidal babies. NB I didn't research this war, but I can assure you, you weren't there man.

All I know is it was awesome. And there was fire, and it looked like the best graphics, ever.
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
User avatar
Bezza89 67
 
Posts: 7603
Joined: 17 May 2010, 13:30
Location: United Kingdom

Re: DICE: we've "forced the industry to step up" with our Ba

Postby FishyGinger » 05 Mar 2013, 17:50

CunningSmile wrote:
JOHZN wrote:How are developers going to justify DLC when next gen gets here?? The disks are going to be able to hold massive amounts of data so they can't pull that one anymore. Every launch game for the 360 barely scratched the surface of what could be done and left plenty of room on the disk for more to be done... I expect every launch game for the 720 to be the same, probably brilliant but I doubt the disk will be full. Its probably going to be a few years before we max out a console like that, but im willing to stake my left foot that we get day one DLC with 90% of the launch titles. Why I here you ask because buying DLC has become programmed into our fickel human minds as an ok thing to do. Here buy this game its only got 75% of the intended content on it but were going to charge you for the rest at a later date. i can see why they need to do it with some game eg beef 3 because its a massively huge game. But any game on next gen that releases with day one DLC will be boycotted by me and I'll encourage my friends to do the same. Final thought: its not ok to rip gamers off.


Is there a single dev that claims that they have DLC because it wouldn't fit on the disc? I can't think of one. It takes months for a finished game to to be put on disc and shipped out to us, and day one DLC is what they are up to in those months, the only way that could be put on disc is to delay the release but even then you'd still have that couple of months gap in which they'd create more DLC.. Later DLC often doesn't even get started until after the release date, or did you think Dragonborn released a year after Skyrim should have been on the disc?


Exactly...that was a pretty daft statement to come out with.

Metalrodent wrote:Is it true that they made it harder to win if you played as the Vietnamese? Remember reading about someone saying it was unfair both gameplay wise and historical bias


I can't recall that at all, seemed fairly balanced but then it was awhile ago. I can confirm the vietnamese did use suicidal babies.
2 + 4 = Fish
User avatar
FishyGinger 69
 
Posts: 4272
Joined: 08 Aug 2012, 13:42

Re: DICE: we've "forced the industry to step up" with our Ba

Postby DoucheVader » 06 Mar 2013, 23:18

Metalrodent wrote:
Bezza89 wrote:Then there's how good vietnam was, a real fresh take on the gameplay

Is it true that they made it harder to win if you played as the Vietnamese? Remember reading about someone saying it was unfair both gameplay wise and historical bias


No that isn't true.
DoucheVader 19
 
Posts: 29
Joined: 22 May 2009, 04:56
Location: United States

Re: DICE: we've "forced the industry to step up" with our Ba

Postby DoucheVader » 06 Mar 2013, 23:20

JOHZN wrote:How are developers going to justify DLC when next gen gets here?? The disks are going to be able to hold massive amounts of data so they can't pull that one anymore. Every launch game for the 360 barely scratched the surface of what could be done and left plenty of room on the disk for more to be done... I expect every launch game for the 720 to be the same, probably brilliant but I doubt the disk will be full. Its probably going to be a few years before we max out a console like that, but im willing to stake my left foot that we get day one DLC with 90% of the launch titles. Why I here you ask because buying DLC has become programmed into our fickel human minds as an ok thing to do. Here buy this game its only got 75% of the intended content on it but were going to charge you for the rest at a later date. i can see why they need to do it with some game eg beef 3 because its a massively huge game. But any game on next gen that releases with day one DLC will be boycotted by me and I'll encourage my friends to do the same. Final thought: its not ok to rip gamers off.


Yeah I have to agree with the guy above. DLC wasn't invented because games got too big for the disc, it was created to extend the shelf life of the product.

Most of us realize that game publishers and developers are out to make money. I don't mind handing my money to someone who gives me something valuable. It's a trade off.
DoucheVader 19
 
Posts: 29
Joined: 22 May 2009, 04:56
Location: United States

Re: DICE: we've "forced the industry to step up" with our Ba

Postby FishyGinger » 07 Mar 2013, 10:23

DoucheVader wrote:
Most of us realize that game publishers and developers are out to make money. I don't mind handing my money to someone who gives me something valuable. It's a trade off.


For a Douche that seems to be the most sensible thing I've heard in awhile. Shouldn't you be posting "I hate everyone, f@#k EA" ?
2 + 4 = Fish
User avatar
FishyGinger 69
 
Posts: 4272
Joined: 08 Aug 2012, 13:42

Re: DICE: we've "forced the industry to step up" with our Ba

Postby LEAD Z3BRA » 09 Mar 2013, 14:34

You say 1200MSP is a hefty price tag, but imo that's dirt cheap. CoD DLC sells for 1200MSP and is around 4 maps, the new one has ONE gun, but BF3 DLCs have 4 maps all of which are 2-6 times bigger than CoD maps, if not more! They have on average 6 new guns, sometimes new vehicles and all have at least one new game mode, if Trey Arch or Infinity Ward made a DLC that content heavy it would be worth the price of BF3s premium pass or more. Speaking of, that causes the DLCs to be 1000MSP each, with the addition of a premium only knife, dog tags and weapon camos, none of which is a feared 'Anyone can get this without having premium' DLC....as of yet at least....

Rant over.
LEAD Z3BRA 2
 
Posts: 1
Joined: 09 Mar 2013, 14:27
Location: United Kingdom


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 7 guests

The forum teamDelete all forum cookiesAll times are UTC [ DST ]