to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

EA cancels Dead Space 4 following Dead Space 3 disappointmen

Your comments on our articles.

Dead Space 3 almost cancelled during development, claims source

Worrying news, Necrofans. According to Videogamer sources, EA has binned Dead Space 4 in light of less-than-scintillating sales of Dead Space 3. This follows confirmation of layoffs at Visceral Montreal, the studio responsible for Army of Two: The Devil's Cartel.... read more

EA cancels Dead Space 4 following Dead Space 3 disappointmen

Postby Metalratex » 05 Mar 2013, 12:35

The lesson is: don't change what's working fine. I haven't bought DS3 yet. I'm patiently waiting the prices to drop just as they did for Dishonored and Borderlands 2.
Metalratex 25
 
Posts: 71
Joined: 16 Sep 2011, 20:40
Location: Brazil

EA cancels Dead Space 4 following Dead Space 3 disappointmen

Postby msbhvn » 05 Mar 2013, 12:40

I'm not surprised in the slightest that DS3 has fallen short of EA's expectations. They seem to have gone out of their way to alienate potential customers. Half a dozen press releases moaning how the first two games didn't sell millions because they were too scary. Adding co-op to a series that made its name for being one man's struggle to survive against overwhelming odds. A demo that was just as terrible as the one for DS2, why didn't they learn? And don't get me started on the microtransactions.

Here's a suggestion EA, why don't you concentrate on making a good game first, instead of dreaming up new ways to get money out of customers? People might be more inclined to buy your games if they're seen as more than just a revenue stream.
The new first law of the internet: For every action, there is an irrational and disproportionate social media overreaction.
User avatar
msbhvn 69
 
Posts: 4404
Joined: 04 Oct 2010, 19:10
Location: United Kingdom

EA cancels Dead Space 4 following Dead Space 3 disappointmen

Postby FishyGinger » 05 Mar 2013, 12:42

Well that's an eye opener and no mistake Mr Frodo. Not reaching 5 million sales in a month, you scoundrels visceral.

Maybe I'm treacle but how does genero-ammo help microtransactions any more than independent ammo? This is all a bit sad though really. Annoying how a games success is driven on how many sales rather than how much profit, from the publishers point of view. Make a proper horror, scale back the budget by quite some margin and see how it goes.
2 + 4 = Fish
User avatar
FishyGinger 70
 
Posts: 4680
Joined: 08 Aug 2012, 13:42
Location: United Kingdom

EA cancels Dead Space 4 following Dead Space 3 disappointmen

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 05 Mar 2013, 12:44

Another franchise that started out as horror but has wandered into action game territory. I really hate this mentality that for a game to be a potential success it has to be the equivalent of a Michael Bay movie... barely passable dialogue followed by 2 hours of explosions... no thanks. Crap like that doesn't guarantee a movies success so why are game developers following suit.
Johnbhoy69 55
 
Posts: 956
Joined: 22 Dec 2011, 20:29
Location: United Kingdom

Re: EA cancels Dead Space 4 following Dead Space 3 disappoin

Postby Metalrodent » 05 Mar 2013, 12:54

msbhvn wrote: Half a dozen press releases moaning how the first two games didn't sell millions because they were too scary.

I never got those, because, speaking as a wimp, I barely found the games scary at all, bar a couple of jumps. Tense and creepy at times and always gross (did love that stamp gore spray) yes but never outright scary
Image
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
User avatar
Metalrodent 71
 
Posts: 5324
Joined: 20 Nov 2012, 15:22

Re: EA cancels Dead Space 4 following Dead Space 3 disappoin

Postby CunningSmile » 05 Mar 2013, 13:00

For the last time EA get the message: If you try to please everyone you please no one!

In the last twelve months we've had several studios, publishers and major stores go bust because they had no idea what they stood for whilst smaller niche organisations have thrived. Stop the bloody tick box mentality designed to make everything appeal to everyone and you will find a market. As Bezza said putting cover shooting and Co-op into a survival horror was never going to attract new customers, just piss off the ones looking for a survival horror so I'm not surprised it did badly.
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
User avatar
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator
 
Posts: 11455
Joined: 03 Aug 2009, 15:17
Location: United Kingdom

Re: EA cancels Dead Space 4 following Dead Space 3 disappoin

Postby msbhvn » 05 Mar 2013, 13:02

Metalrodent wrote:
msbhvn wrote: Half a dozen press releases moaning how the first two games didn't sell millions because they were too scary.

I never got those, because, speaking as a wimp, I barely found the games scary at all, bar a couple of jumps. Tense and creepy at times and always gross (did love that stamp gore spray) yes but never outright scary


This was the main one: http://www.oxm.co.uk/42711/ea-dead-spac ... lay-alone/
The new first law of the internet: For every action, there is an irrational and disproportionate social media overreaction.
User avatar
msbhvn 69
 
Posts: 4404
Joined: 04 Oct 2010, 19:10
Location: United Kingdom

Re: EA cancels Dead Space 4 following Dead Space 3 disappoin

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 05 Mar 2013, 13:03

This is worrying news. I would rate the first 2 Dead Space games as probably my favourite games of all that I have played (and I’ve played over 200 on the current 360 console!). However, DS3 is lacking at times and there are only a couple of moments in which it feels like a true DS game (namely the regenerating necromorphs, which always raise the blood pressure just slightly!). I have completed the game 5 times, including once in co-op, and though I enjoyed it in co-op, I enjoyed it for the fun of the banter between myself and my friend as it just felt like a good action game romp rather than a proper DS game.

I was saying on these very forums before the games release that co-op would diminish the tension of the first two games and that the inclusion of universal ammo would mean not being forced to change weapons when you least wanted to, and I was absolutely right. The inclusion of human enemies, whilst making sense to the story, does completely remove all tension, though the ability to roll adds nothing as there is only one point where I found it useful. Weapon crafting is fun, though not in co-op as waiting for 10 minutes for your co-op partner to experiment with poorly designed weapons is absolutely boring, and so for co-op the ability to craft weapons should have been left out.

With at least 10 achievements and, more significantly, parts of the story only being only available if the game is played in co-op, I think many people felt like they were being shut out from the full game (myself included), and so I am not surprised that in protest some people have chosen to boycott the game upon release, either choosing to buy the game when the price is reduced or not buying it at all. It just goes to show that meddling in the popular format of a game (a format that made the game successful in the first place) with a view to broadening its appeal, can have completely backfire and in fact end up alienating those fans that made the franchise successful in the first place.

I hope that there will be a DS4, but also hope that it returns to its roots as in my opinion that is where success for the franchise lies.
Last edited by AllusiveTurtle on 05 Mar 2013, 13:07, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
AllusiveTurtle 44
 
Posts: 673
Joined: 07 May 2011, 17:57
Location: United Kingdom

Re: EA cancels Dead Space 4 following Dead Space 3 disappoin

Postby CunningSmile » 05 Mar 2013, 13:06

msbhvn wrote:
Metalrodent wrote:I never got those, because, speaking as a wimp, I barely found the games scary at all, bar a couple of jumps. Tense and creepy at times and always gross (did love that stamp gore spray) yes but never outright scary


This was the main one: http://www.oxm.co.uk/42711/ea-dead-spac ... lay-alone/


Rereading that I call BS on the "we didn't have a checklist to borrow" quote because blatantly you did. It's impossible to produce such a bland game (judging by others comments) unless you do.
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
User avatar
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator
 
Posts: 11455
Joined: 03 Aug 2009, 15:17
Location: United Kingdom

Re: EA cancels Dead Space 4 following Dead Space 3 disappoin

Postby LuRcH18489 » 05 Mar 2013, 13:21

good riddance to bad rubbish, suprised it took thm 3 games to realise how crap it is
LuRcH18489 31
 
Posts: 71
Joined: 08 Aug 2008, 15:53
Location: United Kingdom

Re: EA cancels Dead Space 4 following Dead Space 3 disappoin

Postby Bezza89 » 05 Mar 2013, 13:29

CunningSmile wrote:For the last time EA get the message: If you try to please everyone you please no one!

In the last twelve months we've had several studios, publishers and major stores go bust because they had no idea what they stood for whilst smaller niche organisations have thrived. Stop the bloody tick box mentality designed to make everything appeal to everyone and you will find a market. As Bezza said putting cover shooting and Co-op into a survival horror was never going to attract new customers, just piss off the ones looking for a survival horror so I'm not surprised it did badly.


That sounds like something I'd say. I'd also say how many people here actually bought it and didn't enjoy it? I've heard it's quite a good game.

EA are just shit at marketing full stop. They've clearly alienated potential customers and as these comments suggest they could make a great game and no one would buy it as a result.
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
User avatar
Bezza89 69
 
Posts: 8110
Joined: 17 May 2010, 13:30
Location: United Kingdom

Re: EA cancels Dead Space 4 following Dead Space 3 disappoin

Postby Metalrodent » 05 Mar 2013, 13:37

what gets me is that at no point did anyone in EA notice that the exact same thing happened with F3AR and realise that maybe its not such a good idea to alienate the original fanbase (I quite liked F3AR, its just wasnt a FEAR game - would have been great had it not had the FEAR brand name attached)
Image
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
User avatar
Metalrodent 71
 
Posts: 5324
Joined: 20 Nov 2012, 15:22

Re: EA cancels Dead Space 4 following Dead Space 3 disappoin

Postby msbhvn » 05 Mar 2013, 13:42

Bezza89 wrote:these comments suggest they could make a great game and no one would buy it as a result.


Er, no. What we're saying is that EA are unable to make a great game because they are too afraid of losing money to take any risks. Then they end up turning out generic watered down sequel after sequel in the hope that somehow millions of people will decide to buy them. It only works in Hollywood because a cinema ticket is a fraction of the price of a game, especially considering the number of ways EA charge more money on the side.
The new first law of the internet: For every action, there is an irrational and disproportionate social media overreaction.
User avatar
msbhvn 69
 
Posts: 4404
Joined: 04 Oct 2010, 19:10
Location: United Kingdom

Re: EA cancels Dead Space 4 following Dead Space 3 disappoin

Postby FishyGinger » 05 Mar 2013, 13:46

I've yet to get it but it seems like I'd like it so I will soon. I'm still playing a game from a decade ago...

An innovative game published by Activision...how often can you say that nowadays?
2 + 4 = Fish
User avatar
FishyGinger 70
 
Posts: 4680
Joined: 08 Aug 2012, 13:42
Location: United Kingdom

Re: EA cancels Dead Space 4 following Dead Space 3 disappoin

Postby Bezza89 » 05 Mar 2013, 14:32

msbhvn wrote:
Bezza89 wrote:these comments suggest they could make a great game and no one would buy it as a result.


Er, no. What we're saying is that EA are unable to make a great game because they are too afraid of losing money to take any risks. Then they end up turning out generic watered down sequel after sequel in the hope that somehow millions of people will decide to buy them. It only works in Hollywood because a cinema ticket is a fraction of the price of a game, especially considering the number of ways EA charge more money on the side.


Ah you played dead space 3 then? Most of the forum guys who played it have really enjoyed it - carpet monkey most recent and he has some good taste in games, quite similar to mine as well. Whereas you have just assumed the game will be terrible based on the marketing, no?
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
User avatar
Bezza89 69
 
Posts: 8110
Joined: 17 May 2010, 13:30
Location: United Kingdom

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: crippyd, Maximus T, Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest

The forum teamDelete all forum cookiesAll times are UTC [ DST ]