to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag - sailing away from Assassin'

Your comments on our articles.

The features look good, but beware of ponderous pacing

Once upon a time, "assassin" meant somebody who kills people for a living. Thanks to Ubisoft, it has come to enclose pretty much every vocation that involves the use of your arms and legs - small business owner, fencer, diplomat, thief, blacksmith, archaeologist, fashion model, big game hunter and, nowadays, sailor, with reality TV host and Olympic high jump medallist presumably on the menu for Assassin's Creed 5.... read more

Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag - sailing away from Assassin'

Postby mariachi2000 » 06 Mar 2013, 18:46

I don't think that backstory is necessarily what defines the character.
Altair didn't have too much of a backstory, but was just working his way back up after playing hard and fast with the rules. Not a very deep character but very fun to play. (Possibly as he was first)
Ezio was much more developed with a motive to be an assassin, vengeance. A more detailed backstory and the BEST character to play.
However Connor arguably had the greatest initial motive, the death of his mother and the threat to his entire race. You even got to learn more about him by playing as his father. Despite this intricate tale around his life, he was not an enjoyable character to control.

I would much rather have a character who is just a loose cannon without much of a past, as long as they make the character fun to play.
mariachi2000 37

Re: Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag - sailing away from Assas

Postby OXM ETboy » 06 Mar 2013, 18:50

That's another way of looking at it, certainly :) I prefer to play as characters I actually care about, though.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby RedBelmont » 06 Mar 2013, 19:22

OXM ETboy wrote:I prefer to play as characters I actually care about, though.

... which is why I'm so glad Desmond will be nowhere in sight.

Would any of the previous games have been less enjoyable had there be no Animus/Desmond storyline? It was dead weight as far as I was concerned.
The Danger Zone
RedBelmont 31

Postby Tug » 06 Mar 2013, 21:51

I hope I'm not the only one who thinks this, but I couldn't stand the present day aspect of Assassin's Creed. The whole Animus thing seemed like it was clumsily attached to the masterpiece that is the first Assassins game. Was it really necessary to have a main character who plays the part of another in a simulation? I would have thought that various stories from different lineages wouldn't need this Animus rubbish. What's wrong with just being Ezio or Connor? Why did we have to have Desmond at all?

I won't mind the Animus aspect of the new game, as long as the person viewing the memory is kept anonymous (I hope). Or maybe leave it to your imagination who the person in the machine is. Could even presume it's you.

Actually, I'm probably talking rubbish.
Tug 27

Postby Tankz1000 » 06 Mar 2013, 22:22

For everyone saying that the whole story from 1-5 has been boring as it SAYS. Its been about Desmond and the Animus the whole 5 games. Not to offend some people but are you blind or stupid because pretty much so far the story has been about the Animus and Desmond. If you don't seem to like the game don't bother playing it or buying it. But anyway i have really enjoyed the Assassin's Creed's and i am not sure if i am going to like the whole "Captain" thing. But i will be buying it anyway i hope its worth the money! :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: :lol: :?: :?: :arrow: :idea:
Tankz1000 3

Postby Metalrodent » 06 Mar 2013, 22:28

Tankz1000 wrote: Not to offend some people but are you blind or stupid because pretty much so far the story has been about the Animus and Desmond.

:| thats the point, 5 games of the same boring underdeveloped character serving only to break up the flow of the game
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 67

Postby Tug » 06 Mar 2013, 22:38

Tankz1000 wrote:If you don't seem to like the game don't bother playing it or buying it.

It's not a case of not liking the game. The games are fantastic, I think it's just the Desmond aspect that people never like. But the assassin aspect was the selling point. I'm pretty sure the feeling is mutual about Desmond with most people who have played them.
Tug 27

Postby Jackotiny » 07 Mar 2013, 09:00

I am quite surprised that they are bringing out a new game so quickly after AC 3, although im not going to say no to it :) . i always found it quite annoying to have to keep going back between the character like Ezio or Connor and Desmond, so im hoping that this game doesn't have that. As for the game itself it sounds like a great game that is building off of the ship missions from the previous game whilst also being the game that we all know and love.

The only problem i had with AC3 is that towards the end, I felt as if the missions got boring, but i did like the rest of it, even building up the homestead. hopefully the raiding of the ships on this one will not be repetitive and the missions will be interesting.
Jackotiny 13

Postby FishyGinger » 07 Mar 2013, 10:19

I thought the desmond and animus thing was fine, something about a person and something happens and stuff. It's the setting and the ambience of the 'in-game' parts, venice in particular, I liked most.
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
FishyGinger 66

Postby Gazisdaman » 07 Mar 2013, 10:23

I thought the animus bit was ok in the first game as it added a sense of mystery and intrigue, the problem came later. I was actually exited to find out what the symbols on the wall meant in AC2, the main problem was that Desmond was so uninspiring as a character and the way the storyline ended up as some conspiracy theory crap left me unimpressed. I think the Animus idea allowed them a certain freedom that ultimately they left underutilized, it could have been really interesting but it just became bogged down and diluted to the point where nobody even cared and as a result it failed.
Gazisdaman 35

Postby mariachi2000 » 07 Mar 2013, 10:23

I think for all it's other faults, which were only amplified in 3, Revelations kind of got the Desmond bits right. They weren't too distracting, and were almost completely optional. More of this, please.
mariachi2000 37

Postby CunningSmile » 07 Mar 2013, 11:16

Tankz1000 wrote:For everyone saying that the whole story from 1-5 has been boring as it SAYS. Its been about Desmond and the Animus the whole 5 games. Not to offend some people but are you blind or stupid because pretty much so far the story has been about the Animus and Desmond. If you don't seem to like the game don't bother playing it or buying it. But anyway i have really enjoyed the Assassin's Creed's and i am not sure if i am going to like the whole "Captain" thing. But i will be buying it anyway i hope its worth the money! :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: :lol: :?: :?: :arrow: :idea:

Yes it's been entirely about Desmond and the Animus and they are the most important parts, that's why he's always front and centre on the box art, the cover blurb always mentions him in the first sentence and every piece of publicity has always mentioned him before talking about new settings and game mechanics. That's why the hand held games and official novels have dropped the historical bit entirely to just focus on Desmond in a comfy chair. That's why he's made up less than 10% of the game play to date.

Or on the other hand, perhaps even Ubisoft think he was a boring badly fleshed out character that no one really cared about and served no real purpose other than to rip you away from the game you actually wanted to play, and therefore they should not bother mentioning him at all on the box and the publicity and that he was the most disposable part of the franchise when they needed to save space on the smaller portable spin offs. Yes we must be stupid for thinking that :roll:
I miss my care free youth when my biggest concern was where to hide the latest body
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby FishyGinger » 07 Mar 2013, 12:07

CunningSmile wrote:
Tankz1000 wrote:For everyone saying that the whole story from 1-5 has been boring as it SAYS. Its been about Desmond and the Animus the whole 5 games. Not to offend some people but are you blind or stupid because pretty much so far the story has been about the Animus and Desmond. If you don't seem to like the game don't bother playing it or buying it. But anyway i have really enjoyed the Assassin's Creed's and i am not sure if i am going to like the whole "Captain" thing. But i will be buying it anyway i hope its worth the money! :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: :lol: :?: :?: :arrow: :idea:

Yes it's been entirely about Desmond and the Animus and they are the most important parts, that's why he's always front and centre on the box art, the cover blurb always mentions him in the first sentence and every piece of publicity has always mentioned him before talking about new settings and game mechanics. That's why the hand held games and official novels have dropped the historical bit entirely to just focus on Desmond in a comfy chair. That's why he's made up less than 10% of the game play to date.

Or on the other hand, perhaps even Ubisoft think he was a boring badly fleshed out character that no one really cared about and served no real purpose other than to rip you away from the game you actually wanted to play, and therefore they should not bother mentioning him at all on the box and the publicity and that he was the most disposable part of the franchise when they needed to save space on the smaller portable spin offs. Yes we must be stupid for thinking that :roll:

OH NO HE DI'ENT!
FishyGinger 66

Postby CunningSmile » 07 Mar 2013, 12:20

FishyGinger wrote:OH NO HE DI'ENT!

Yeah, it seems a bit harsh to a first time poster, but he called me stupid for holding a perfectly valid opinion that even Ubisoft seemingly share.
I miss my care free youth when my biggest concern was where to hide the latest body
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby FishyGinger » 07 Mar 2013, 12:49

CunningSmile wrote:
FishyGinger wrote:OH NO HE DI'ENT!

Yeah, it seems a bit harsh to a first time poster, but he called me stupid for holding a perfectly valid opinion that even Ubisoft seemingly share.

Oh no I perfectly agree with you :P I'm just trying out my cool speak.
FishyGinger 66

Next