to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

CD Projekt: next gen Xbox could overtake PC as lead developm

Your comments on our articles.

"PC allows for more at the moment, but new platforms are stepping up."

The weekend! It bears down upon us like an avalanche of catharsis and relaxation. Time for one more nugget of extra-spicy hardware commentary before you sign off? Very well then - CD Projekt RED's managing director Adam Badowski reckons the next Xbox and PS4 are sufficiently powerful and flexible that they may serve as lead development platforms in future, eclipsing the mighty PC.... read more

CD Projekt: next gen Xbox could overtake PC as lead developm

Postby kevicus12 » 08 Mar 2013, 23:20

I hope he's right, I really do. I love my Xbox, but I still play games on the PC - full HD on 1920x1080 display; why wouldn't you? But I'm sick of hoping the one remaining Game store in my town stocks the PC game I want (the PC game section being one tiny wee shelf). I can't wait for the Xbox to catch up with PC graphics, even if only for a moment...
kevicus12 22

Re: CD Projekt: next gen Xbox could overtake PC as lead deve

Postby Bezza89 » 09 Mar 2013, 00:07

I don't see a need for any future consoles past the next ones we're to get - TVs are only going to be so big, the definition is only going to be noticable at a certain size, and the eye can only detect differences in certain framerates, sort that out, and everything else is particle effects, shading, lighting all done to high heaven - and I don't think there'd be a need for next gen consoles to be improved upon as a result, get the Xbox 4, it's the same but the lighting is better! You might have faster load times too you impatient whore! Look, bacon, finally!

That's why I look forward to next gen, getting the best visually wont be a challenge technically and everyone has an engine that looks the tits, so they can focus on the other bits of the game really, making the AI routines clever and fun, scripting stuff better, writing better characters. Then you have pcs for the people who want pixels in their pixels.
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
Bezza89 68

Postby Drainwater » 09 Mar 2013, 03:03

Graphics are nice but they were never on the top of my wanted list. What I want are bigger, better, more detailed worlds. Something on the order of, say, the size of Just Cause 2 where you can enter every building. Maybe we're getting to that point...?
Drainwater 35

Postby Tug » 09 Mar 2013, 22:52

Cheers for the, Ed. I hope this does come to fruition. Would be nice to stop hearing snooty PC gamers constantly reminding us how backwards our consoles are. Sadly, most of us can't afford to spend £2000 on a "rig". Yeah, I think that's the lingo.

Slightly on topic, but not, but a little bit. I reckon some people may sympathies.
It's a shame that every PC gamer seems so focused on graphics. To my knowledge, graphics don't mean anything. What difference does the clarity of an image matter if the game you're playing is enjoyable? Besides, some of the most gorgeous games I've ever played are on console.

Here's a list of modern games off the top of my head:

Mario Galaxy 1 and 2
The Fable games
Mass Effect 1-3
Halo 4
Fez
Okami
Zelda: Twilight Princess
Zelda: The Wind Waker
The original Splinter Cell trilogy (surprisingly)
Skyrim (yes it looks better on a descent PC but come on, it's still a pretty little thing on xbox)
Kingdoms Of Amalur (not the best game, but still lovely to look at)

There's a common theme in this meager list, with the exception of Splinter Cell, is that these games are part of an imaginary environment. From what I can see, consoles seem to cope adequately with fantasy environments not based on realism. And as far as I remember, games were a form of escapism, and I find it quite difficult to loose myself in game such as Call of Duty. Also, the Crisis games. GRAPHICS HURGH YEAH! STORY.. yeah. I think gamers are getting far too caught up in realism and graphics. The quirky nature of video games seems to have diminished in this generation, with the exception of a minority of games. Not that I don't enjoy shooting stereotypical Russians with my friends. But I digress, the point I'm making is maybe the gaming industry should go back to a more creative way of designing a game. Basing games in the real world hinders the creative process. Well, that's my opinion.
Tug 27

Postby Tug » 09 Mar 2013, 22:53

Tug wrote:Cheers for the, Ed. I hope...

I DID NOT PROOF READ.
Tug 27

Postby Bezza89 » 10 Mar 2013, 00:27

Quite refreshing to read mr tug. Or Mrs, whatever.

I'd agree that gaming snobbiness graphics wise is annoying, however I see next gen, as I've written above, as maybe the final graphical stage for consoles, they greatly help with immersion, graphics do. It's jarring to see blurring because the framerates are too low, or when you see everything jagged etc, it doesn't ruin the games - some of my favourite games are with 'average' graphics, but I'd like there to be a point where everything flows smoothly and is really beleivable.

Though back in the day I thought everything was the tits, maybe the problem is devs going further in quality, if we all said 'yeah this is great, that'll do' no one would yearn for the difference... maybe. :wink:
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
Bezza89 68

Postby Tug » 10 Mar 2013, 00:57

Thank ya kindly.
Hmm, you raise a fine point there, Bezza. I agree completely that graphics are indeed key for immersion and I hope that the next gen does fade the lines between the whole console/PC comparison thing. And to be honest, I would definitely love all games to not be constrained by graphical capabilities and framerate issues. From all the alleged rumors I've read, it seems you could be right. Also the prospect of MMOs on consoles can only be a good thing... right?
Last edited by Tug on 19 May 2013, 18:46, edited 1 time in total.
Tug 27

Postby fracturedrich » 10 Mar 2013, 14:47

Gameplay first then graphics,minecaft fez,the list is endless,but when you get both,then we are talking,the likes of dark souls,far cry 3 and tomb raider again the list is big, i just hope that they remember this when next gen comes out,its good to have a great looking game,but if it does not play well then you might aswell be playing your 360.I think there will be more pressure on developers to get it right,Ime really looking forward to it though,i wish they would announce it so we no where we stand with dates ,prices etc.
fracturedrich 47

Postby CunningSmile » 11 Mar 2013, 10:43

For me one of the biggest problems with the focus on graphics is that developers seem unable to concentrate on anything else. It's only at the end of a console generation when graphics are already stretched that most of them bother to hire script writers. We then get a couple of years of great games, and then as soon as the new shiny comes along they sack the script writers and get back to Genero-Shooter X, this time with added skin pores!

Try to improve graphics if you like guys, but don't do it at the expense of everything else.
I dream of a world in which a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning his motives
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Postby FishyGinger » 11 Mar 2013, 11:57

But stories don't sell games/consoles at the start of a generation, sadly only graphics do really.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 69

Postby CunningSmile » 11 Mar 2013, 12:04

Doesn't mean they can't have both. Last time I checked the graphic whore geeks guild hadn't taken a restraining order out against the writers guild and they were allowed in the same building at the same time, so why not let them mingle and talk to each other? We could all end up with better games as a result.
I dream of a world in which a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning his motives
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Postby FishyGinger » 11 Mar 2013, 12:22

It doesn't mean we can't but at the start everyone is vying for their game to be sold so I can understand they go for graphics as you can't show story as effectively on adverts so why bother having them. This is why I'm glad I have no need to get any console at or even remotely near launch as like you, I'd rather have something interesting.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 69