to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Six ways the art and business of gaming will change next gen

Your comments on our articles.

The future's bright, and that's not just your gamma settings

Often, reading about next generation consoles online feels less like witnessing some glorious new dawn as being interrogated by the CIA in Call of Duty: Black Ops. "THE NUMBERS, MASON," bellows some distant thug - and on cue, incomprehensible daisy-chains of data frolic past your vision, lit by hysterical pulses of crimson lightning.... read more

Six ways the art and business of gaming will change next gen

Postby Bezza89 » 11 Mar 2013, 22:14

Surely dropping the fees would mean developers are less inclined to really ensure their games are bug free, we'd end up with betas being released and the day one buyers suffering quality wise? Cynical yes - but quite possible and probable.

First one free and the rest paid sounds fine... and I'm pretty sure that's how it works now. Or some other way of deterring shoddy work.
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
Bezza89 68

Re: Six ways the art and business of gaming will change next

Postby Drainwater » 11 Mar 2013, 23:01

Honestly I don't think Watch Dogs will be "competition" for GTA any more than apples are competition for broccoli. Sure they're both open world urban environments, just as apples and broccoli are both good for you. I think gameplay will be different enough that it will really be hard to compare the two.

As for not claiming any genre to be dead, I'd have to disagree. When was the last time you saw a space combat simulator game. Sure some games have elements of it, like that segment in Halo Reach for example, but I don't think there has been a dedicated game for it since the Colony Wars series. Maybe with smaller developers being attracted back to consoles we might see another game like that.
Drainwater 35