to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Dead Space 3 DLC Awakened hits Xbox Live Marketplace

Your comments on our articles.

Multiple hour pack costs 800 MP, adds new story

That shiver down your spine? Either you've left the door open, or you've just caught wind that Dead Space 3's DREADFUL, HORRIFYING Awakened DLC is now available to download from Xbox Live Marketplace. If it's the latter, why are you bothering to read this? Close the door already.... read more

Dead Space 3 DLC Awakened hits Xbox Live Marketplace

Postby hujiki » 12 Mar 2013, 11:36

wow, that was quick from EA, Ive been waiting for Far Cry 3 DLC for more than 2 months and sill they have not released any thing, this just shows that this was part of the real game development and was cut out to be sold standalone content. Well thats EA for you all.
hujiki 28
 
Posts: 144
Joined: 17 Jan 2012, 11:55
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Dead Space 3 DLC Awakened hits Xbox Live Marketplace

Postby FishyGinger » 12 Mar 2013, 12:42

Well that's a positive outlook on life. I suppose to start the dlc you have to enter your credit card number, pin number and date of birth right?
2 + 4 = Fish
User avatar
FishyGinger 70
 
Posts: 4486
Joined: 08 Aug 2012, 13:42
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Dead Space 3 DLC Awakened hits Xbox Live Marketplace

Postby CunningSmile » 12 Mar 2013, 12:55

hujiki wrote:wow, that was quick from EA, Ive been waiting for Far Cry 3 DLC for more than 2 months and sill they have not released any thing, this just shows that this was part of the real game development and was cut out to be sold standalone content. Well thats EA for you all.


Or alternatively EA are more organised/less ambitious than Ubi and can produce DLC quicker? Maybe Ubisoft have no plans for Farcry DLC?

Will everyone get it through their thick heads that studios DO NOT CUT STUFF FROM THE GAME TO MAKE DLC! Contrary to the internet paranoia it makes absolutely zero business sense. The amount of effort and programming needed to do that would make it just as easy to start the new content from scratch, which is what they do as soon as they have people sitting around NOT WORKING ON THE MAIN GAME!
I dream of a world in which a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning his motives
User avatar
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator
 
Posts: 11166
Joined: 03 Aug 2009, 15:17
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Dead Space 3 DLC Awakened hits Xbox Live Marketplace

Postby Metalrodent » 12 Mar 2013, 13:00

CunningSmile wrote:studios DO NOT CUT STUFF FROM THE GAME TO MAKE DLC!

Not entirely true, on disk dlc is an example of content being made and then held back for the purpose of selling as dlc
Image
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
User avatar
Metalrodent 71
 
Posts: 5160
Joined: 20 Nov 2012, 15:22

Re: Dead Space 3 DLC Awakened hits Xbox Live Marketplace

Postby hujiki » 12 Mar 2013, 13:07

CunningSmile wrote:
hujiki wrote:wow, that was quick from EA, Ive been waiting for Far Cry 3 DLC for more than 2 months and sill they have not released any thing, this just shows that this was part of the real game development and was cut out to be sold standalone content. Well thats EA for you all.


Will everyone get it through their thick heads that studios DO NOT CUT STUFF FROM THE GAME TO MAKE DLC! Contrary to the internet paranoia it makes absolutely zero business sense. The amount of effort and programming needed to do that would make it just as easy to start the new content from scratch, which is what they do as soon as they have people sitting around NOT WORKING ON THE MAIN GAME!


B***S***. Of Course they do and damn it you know this.
hujiki 28
 
Posts: 144
Joined: 17 Jan 2012, 11:55
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Dead Space 3 DLC Awakened hits Xbox Live Marketplace

Postby FishyGinger » 12 Mar 2013, 13:18

You do get it for some things yeah, as ratty says capcoms on disc shenanigans but for a lot of dlc it isn't and people are far too paranoid/quick to say 'f**k you ea' simply because they feel they are owed free things or whatever.

If people don't like dlc or the way games are going or so called money grabbing publishers and what have you the answer is simple. Do something else. Take up golf, go fishing (don't go fishing, fish are people too and deserve a life of freedom) paint the taj mahal purple but don't whine about everything you supposedly enjoy you self entitled donkey flappers.
2 + 4 = Fish
User avatar
FishyGinger 70
 
Posts: 4486
Joined: 08 Aug 2012, 13:42
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Dead Space 3 DLC Awakened hits Xbox Live Marketplace

Postby CunningSmile » 12 Mar 2013, 13:48

Metalrodent wrote:
CunningSmile wrote:studios DO NOT CUT STUFF FROM THE GAME TO MAKE DLC!

Not entirely true, on disk dlc is an example of content being made and then held back for the purpose of selling as dlc


Ok I'll give you Capcom's on disc stuff, but the actual downloadable DLC isn't cut because as I say the programming needed to remove it then reintegrate it is just too complex to make it worth while. You'd be better off starting from scratch.
I dream of a world in which a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning his motives
User avatar
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator
 
Posts: 11166
Joined: 03 Aug 2009, 15:17
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Dead Space 3 DLC Awakened hits Xbox Live Marketplace

Postby OXM ETboy » 12 Mar 2013, 13:50

Also, "cut content" implies you were promised something and didn't get it. I don't recall EA promising us a Dead Space 3 epilogue.
User avatar
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff
 
Posts: 3522
Joined: 09 Mar 2011, 18:07

Re: Dead Space 3 DLC Awakened hits Xbox Live Marketplace

Postby FishyGinger » 12 Mar 2013, 14:13

That's what annoys me about people who say they want the 'full' game for 40 quid anytime dlc is released. You did get the full game, dlc is extra content.

I think the decaf tea is calming me down, finally.
2 + 4 = Fish
User avatar
FishyGinger 70
 
Posts: 4486
Joined: 08 Aug 2012, 13:42
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Dead Space 3 DLC Awakened hits Xbox Live Marketplace

Postby msbhvn » 12 Mar 2013, 15:15

CunningSmile wrote:Will everyone get it through their thick heads that studios DO NOT CUT STUFF FROM THE GAME TO MAKE DLC! Contrary to the internet paranoia it makes absolutely zero business sense. The amount of effort and programming needed to do that would make it just as easy to start the new content from scratch, which is what they do as soon as they have people sitting around NOT WORKING ON THE MAIN GAME!


Actually it would be quite easy to remove certain parts of the game to sell as DLC. The game engine is usually an executable file a few megabytes in size, as it contains only the core display/audio logic and some kind of script parser. The game assets, 3D models, textures, scripts, sound/speech files etc., are usually bundled together in modules. The game engine will generally just look what modules are in the assets and that's what's available in the game. To remove, say Javik from ME3, all they'd have to do is remove his module before the game goes gold. Game engines are designed this way so they don't have to rebuild everything for DLC they haven't made yet, and also to make different games with the same engine. Mods also take advantage of this structure.

Games that have done this, in my opinion as I can't know for sure, are Assassin's Creed 2 (they gave the excuse that the two sections weren't finished, but they still decided to charge extra for them), ME3 (Javik was originally going to be the Online Pass), Batman Arkham City (you didn't have to pay for Catwoman if you bought the game new, but if you weren't online you lost 10% of the game) and Asura's Wrath actually made you buy the ending separately!

I do agree that if you aren't promised something specifically, you can't claim you should have had it all along when it becomes available later. I also agree that they don't have teams sitting around doing nothing when they can be making additional content once the main game is finished. But to state categorically that content isn't removed from games to sell as DLC is naïve, especially when you base your statement on a lack of technical knowledge of the way games are built.
The new first law of the internet: For every action, there is an irrational and disproportionate social media overreaction.
User avatar
msbhvn 69
 
Posts: 4360
Joined: 04 Oct 2010, 19:10
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Dead Space 3 DLC Awakened hits Xbox Live Marketplace

Postby CunningSmile » 12 Mar 2013, 15:22

msbhvn wrote:Actually it would be quite easy to remove certain parts of the game to sell as DLC. The game engine is usually an executable file a few megabytes in size, as it contains only the core display/audio logic and some kind of script parser. The game assets, 3D models, textures, scripts, sound/speech files etc., are usually bundled together in modules. The game engine will generally just look what modules are in the assets and that's what's available in the game. To remove, say Javik from ME3, all they'd have to do is remove his module before the game goes gold. Game engines are designed this way so they don't have to rebuild everything for DLC they haven't made yet, and also to make different games with the same engine. Mods also take advantage of this structure.

Games that have done this, in my opinion as I can't know for sure, are Assassin's Creed 2 (they gave the excuse that the two sections weren't finished, but they still decided to charge extra for them), ME3 (Javik was originally going to be the Online Pass), Batman Arkham City (you didn't have to pay for Catwoman if you bought the game new, but if you weren't online you lost 10% of the game) and Asura's Wrath actually made you buy the ending separately!

I do agree that if you aren't promised something specifically, you can't claim you should have had it all along when it becomes available later. I also agree that they don't have teams sitting around doing nothing when they can be making additional content once the main game is finished. But to state categorically that content isn't removed from games to sell as DLC is naïve, especially when you base your statement on a lack of technical knowledge of the way games are built.


Flip side of that arguement is that the Javik and Catwoman stuff, which as you say were Online Pass stuff, were written from the start to be seperate. They weren't part of the game that was ripped out in order to sell on. I'm the first to admit I'm not a tech guy, but I have spoken to developers before about this type of stuff and it's never as straightforward as just flicking a switch. It's apparently taken Irrational months to rework Bioshock Infinite to not have MP, something completely unrelated to the single player experience yet apparently removing big chunks of story and characters is just a case of missing off a module? I doubt it somehow
I dream of a world in which a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning his motives
User avatar
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator
 
Posts: 11166
Joined: 03 Aug 2009, 15:17
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Dead Space 3 DLC Awakened hits Xbox Live Marketplace

Postby msbhvn » 12 Mar 2013, 15:34

Yeah, I was simplifying the process to make my point. Modules will have to depend on other modules, say in ME3 if you take Javik to the Citadel, the Citadel module will have to take that into account. Removing the MP from BioShock would have been at least partially an engine-side thing, where they'd have to take out the networking logic and MP maps from the asset modules. Depending on how well they'd organised things, it could be simple or complex.

BioWare would have organised ME3 to EA's specs which would have included Online Pass and day one DLC, so they would have earmarked those things so the game would be able to run without them. We obviously can't know whether Javik was meant to be in the game earlier in development or was created specifically to be DLC, because we're not privy to the internal communication between the publisher and developer.
The new first law of the internet: For every action, there is an irrational and disproportionate social media overreaction.
User avatar
msbhvn 69
 
Posts: 4360
Joined: 04 Oct 2010, 19:10
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Dead Space 3 DLC Awakened hits Xbox Live Marketplace

Postby FishyGinger » 12 Mar 2013, 16:47

General question to no one in particular but I like msbhvn as he used an umlaut which made me giddy, but what about content that just isn't very good?

Games like AC2 and Mafia 2 do feel like the content was taken out during production but from what I've heard (not played the dlc for them) that they were generally rubbish. Like films where if parts aren't deemed good enough they're cut, why is it not considered the same if parts of games are left out because they aren't considered good enough?

Is more always better in the mind of a gamer?
2 + 4 = Fish
User avatar
FishyGinger 70
 
Posts: 4486
Joined: 08 Aug 2012, 13:42
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Dead Space 3 DLC Awakened hits Xbox Live Marketplace

Postby msbhvn » 12 Mar 2013, 16:55

I'd say just like in films, there will be people who want as much content as possible, and some that think the content was cut because it was bad. Then there's the issue of pacing, some content gets cut because it ends up being too long between good bits (or explosions if you're playing an FPS :wink: ).

I didn't like the Mafia 2 DLC, because it suddenly thrust this Jimmy guy at you with very little explanation of who he is or why we should give a s*** about his "vendetta". The AC2 sequences were good, but still looked rushed after months of extra development time, there's one character in Battle of Forli who has no dialogue, his lips move but there's no sound. :roll:

Autocorrect put the umlaut in there. It never did that when I was using IE9, only when I switched to IE10. :?
The new first law of the internet: For every action, there is an irrational and disproportionate social media overreaction.
User avatar
msbhvn 69
 
Posts: 4360
Joined: 04 Oct 2010, 19:10
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Dead Space 3 DLC Awakened hits Xbox Live Marketplace

Postby CunningSmile » 12 Mar 2013, 16:59

FishyGinger wrote:General question to no one in particular but I like msbhvn as he used an umlaut which made me giddy, but what about content that just isn't very good?

Games like AC2 and Mafia 2 do feel like the content was taken out during production but from what I've heard (not played the dlc for them) that they were generally rubbish. Like films where if parts aren't deemed good enough they're cut, why is it not considered the same if parts of games are left out because they aren't considered good enough?

Is more always better in the mind of a gamer?


For me the story and plot are always top. Therefore just like a film I'd rather they cut stuff that didn't advance the plot in the same way they do with films. If they then want to try and sell me that stuff later I'll decide when it's released if I'm going to buy it. After all I watched Lord of the Rings at the cinema, then bought the special edition DVDs because I wanted the extra scenes. I didn't buy Crank 2 with twenty minutes of extra footage because I think it was probably cut for a reason and I don't really need more of that film in my life.
I dream of a world in which a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning his motives
User avatar
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator
 
Posts: 11166
Joined: 03 Aug 2009, 15:17
Location: United Kingdom

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

The forum teamDelete all forum cookiesAll times are UTC [ DST ]