to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Pile of shame: which games haven't you finished yet?

Your comments on our articles.

Achievement unlocked: let it gather dust

The life of a games journalist is often a hard one. For every negligible perk, such as being paid to sit on your arse all day, writing about videogames and/or playing them, there's a crushing downside. Publishers refusing to allow wild animals on the premises, for instance. Having to get up to adjust the window blinds when the sun moves round. Developers making a mockery of your elegantly worded questions with their stupid fact-based answers.... read more

Pile of shame: which games haven't you finished yet?

Postby Plamsa wing » 13 Mar 2013, 20:14

In the event that I post all of them, I am hereby not responsible for clogging up the site with lists. :wink:

For sole purposes though, I think some of us should just stick to listing Xbox 360 games... :oops:
I spilled flour in my uncle's kitchen, now I've got a croissant.
Plamsa wing 57

Re: Pile of shame: which games haven't you finished yet?

Postby SidTheSloth » 13 Mar 2013, 20:28

The omission of Origins must be deliberate... It must be... Especially after that conversation t'other week? :? Unless this is some mind trick too cunning for the likes of me!? :| Or does it now mean completion is achieved? Along with fellow absentee Dogma? >waits hopefully<

Feel your pain with Deus Ex too, i'd rather colour in every 'O' in the dictionary than have to play through that again. My list is long and undistinguished so i'll refrain from piling them all here as Plasma suggests, but Crackdown, Dishonoured, Fallout 3 and Bayonetta are probably the games i haven't completed i most wish i had...
(2 + 4 = Fish) / Sloth = Better
SidTheSloth 54

Postby Metalrodent » 13 Mar 2013, 20:38

the 360 games (I'm one of those people Plasma) I haven't completed are:
GoW
NFS Hot Pursuit
Tomb Raider Underworld
Dragon Age Orgins
Tom Clancy's Endwar
C&C RA3
Chronicles of Riddick (AODA + EFBB) - in fairness this is because of a broken checkpoint.
LA Noire
Driver Sanfrancisco

There are also a few games which don't have a story/main quest as such but need further playthoughs:
DoA 4
KOF XIII

And a fair few arcade and indie games + titles with lots of optional objectives
Last edited by Metalrodent on 13 Mar 2013, 22:40, edited 1 time in total.
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Postby FishyGinger » 13 Mar 2013, 20:42

Oh no, oh god no :shock:

Ahhhh games we've started but not finished, I'm alright there. For xbox 360 only, my list is....ahem...;

IL 2 Sturmovik.

And done. I have so many games I have but haven't started but when I start it's rare I don't finish it. Just nobody mention lists of games we haven't started then.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 70

Postby Bezza89 » 13 Mar 2013, 20:46

Yeah if it's games we haven't finished, rather than not even attempted then the lists wont be very long. Might explain the Dragon Age omission too.

Witcher 2 for me too, very dull imo, dishonored for the same reason, Hitman Absolution - it wasn't hitman how I like it, you know sandboxy. These are games I gave up on rather than started and didn't have time though.

What constitutes not finished though or qualifies for the list, I've not completely done oblivion, but has anyone? I haven't got all the achievements on Skyrim, but I've done the main quests, I haven't finished Max Payne, but I've only had it 10 days.

Other than those all my untouched, hardly played stuff is on steam, but everyones steam list is stupidly full of 'hardly played if at all' games. Maybe I am just good at managing time to complete stuff, and don't plough along through stuff I don't enjoy I just sell them.
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
Bezza89 68

Postby NinthGeorgesw » 13 Mar 2013, 20:50

My main ones are:

Spec Ops: The Line which I borrowed from a friend a few weeks back and stopped playing after the white phosphorus section.

Bioshock: as after the main twist I lost interest.

There are loads of others, but most of those are either terrible or ones I've just bought.
NinthGeorgesw 42

Postby RedBelmont » 13 Mar 2013, 20:51

I'm not one for hunting down chivos but for the most part I do complete most of the games I buy, the only recent exception to this is Hitman Absolution. I got to the epilogue mission before having to trade it in. It really annoys me that I didn't just get it done as well after all the time I put into each mission, but that final mission objective of sniping guards and making them fall into open graves just drove me bonkers. Must have tried it fifty times and could never nail it, and so the game got punted as I wanted to buy X-Com... now I'll never know what happened to Agent 47 :(

Also I recently picked up Rage for a bargain at £5 but after playing for an couple hours I'm reluctant to go back to it for some reason. Hopefully I'll manage it at some point soon.
The Danger Zone
RedBelmont 31

Postby PCG The_B » 13 Mar 2013, 20:52

OK here goes, and for now I'll just stick to 360 for the sake of OXM - believe me when I say I also have a PC pile that could leave me here all day. :P

The Darkness - I borrowed this one from a friend years ago, and only really got as far as the Romantic achievement before handing it back, intending to buy it again. The recent GOD sale and buying and completing number 2 when it was cheap on PC finally gave me an excuse to return to the original... only then got sidetracked and now it sits about a third of the way through after I also bought Resi 6 and Civ Rev in the same sale.

Dark Souls - Suffering a similar fate to Ed, I've only gotten as far as the forested area (I can't actually remember what it's called) but my ineptness, plus the white whale of knowing the challenge and having to relearn everything - has prevented me going back to continue. I am weak and rubbish.

Assassins Creed 3 - I got this at the same time as Halo 4, and was reasonably enjoying it, alternating between the two games as I went. Then I finished Halo 4's main campaign and I think a general fatigue of the game's awkward pacing set in not long after meeting George Washington properly for the first time. I've just drifted off and haven't yet felt compelled to return. (Ironically enough I should add though I finished Halo 4's main campaign, a similar thing has happened for it's Spartan Ops campaign, and that now also sits on the shame pile with only four episodes complete.)

Forza Horizon - This is a bit more... baffling really. I very much enjoyed Forza Horizon, despite never really clicking with the more simulation-based Forzas, and was having a pretty decent time ploughing all the way through to the gold wristband events. Then I've just sort of...forgotten about it. I'll definitely go back to it eventually, but I'm quite annoyed at myself for having a relatively short attention span when it comes to racers.

Need for Speed - Hot Pursuit - Very similar fate to Forza Horizon above really - I enjoyed Criterion's first NFS a lot, even though it wasn't perfect. However, at the time I don't think I had a lot of friends on the Autolog system, so I felt I was missing out on some of the challenges and decided to wait until more people on my friends list at the time got it. I'm not sure they ever did, although since then I've got a fair few more friends on said friends list now, so it may be worth revisiting soon - however I'm yet to get Most Wanted, so I'll probably end up going straight to that and it'll get forgotten again because I am a terrible, terrible person.

Red Dead Redemption - Undead Nightmare - Again, I loved this DLC and have completed the main game. But the zombie bears keep giving me the willies. (Though I believe I did get to the final mission...) :(

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed - I remember getting to the Encor about two years ago. Now it sits at the hardest to reach parts of my gaming collection completely forgotten, and I don't really feel any inclination to ever go back to it at all.

There's probably a few Arcade titles too that could go in my personal list, but those are the ones I can remember by looking at the boxes on my shelves.
Ben Borthwick
The Blog | The Twit(ter)
PCG The_B 66

Postby dtiapril » 13 Mar 2013, 21:11

Haha it's like you read my mind with this article, I made a blog just yestedray - . I'm trying to revisit and finish up old games, but my major problem is the games I haven't even started yet. I've got over 50 of em :\

http://dtiapril.wordpress.com/2013/03/12/games-backlog/
dtiapril 1

Postby Metalrodent » 13 Mar 2013, 21:15

RedBelmont wrote:but that final mission objective of sniping guards and making them fall into open graves just drove me bonkers. Must have tried it fifty times and could never nail it, and so the game got punted as I wanted to buy X-Com... now I'll never know what happened to Agent 47 :(

Er that wasn't the objective, that was an optional objective for score - you could still finish the mission without doing that you know :|
Also they didn't have to fall into grave to get the achievement - just a headshot will do.

PCG The_B wrote:Need for Speed - Hot Pursuit

I'l play it with you if you like as I still have it, I think there's an achievemnt for the 1v1 mode so that might be nice to get
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Postby msbhvn » 13 Mar 2013, 21:28

Between PC, 360, Wii and 3DS my pile of shame is so big it's about to become self aware. I dread the day I walk into the spare bedroom and hear the strains of Daisy Bell. :lol:

My biggest regrets are Red Dead Redemption, The Witcher 2 (started the first Witcher on PC and got distracted, so that's backlog-ception), and Enslaved.
The new first law of the internet: For every action, there is an irrational and disproportionate social media overreaction.
msbhvn 69

Postby OXM ETboy » 13 Mar 2013, 21:33

The omission of Origins must be deliberate... It must be... Especially after that conversation t'other week?

Taken care of - I sold it last year. AND I'D DO IT AGAIN, I TELL YOU.

I'm working on Dogma.

Just nobody mention lists of games we haven't started then.

Methinks I feel another blog coming on...
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Windowlicker79 » 13 Mar 2013, 21:39

I gave up on Mass Effect after playing it for about 8 hours and having what seemed like literally nothing of interest happening. My main memories of it are talking to someone who may have been blue and struggling with a truly broken combat system.
Not finished the Simpson's game yet as I borrowed it off an ex girlfriend who took it back when we split and I'm not prepared to spend my own money on it.
Gave up on Crysis 2 after an hour because I couldn't see what was going on. Got a 40" 1080p Samsung top end TV but I literally couldn't see who was shooting at me. The graphics looked amazing but I think they may have been too detailed, which meant I couldn't make out any of the enemies. Not sure if my red/green colour blindness had anything to do with it but it gave me a headache in the end.
Never completed The Club because its just shit.
ಠ_ಠ
Windowlicker79 55

Postby FishyGinger » 13 Mar 2013, 21:42

Bezza89 wrote:Yeah if it's games we haven't finished, rather than not even attempted then the lists wont be very long. Might explain the Dragon Age omission too.

Witcher 2 for me too, very dull imo, dishonored for the same reason, Hitman Absolution - it wasn't hitman how I like it, you know sandboxy. These are games I gave up on rather than started and didn't have time though.

What constitutes not finished though or qualifies for the list, I've not completely done oblivion, but has anyone? I haven't got all the achievements on Skyrim, but I've done the main quests, I haven't finished Max Payne, but I've only had it 10 days.

Other than those all my untouched, hardly played stuff is on steam, but everyones steam list is stupidly full of 'hardly played if at all' games. Maybe I am just good at managing time to complete stuff, and don't plough along through stuff I don't enjoy I just sell them.

I wouldn't count them if you don't like them or plan on ever finishing. I didn't complete tomb raider....underworld I think it was because I thought it was crap and never want to play it again. And by complete I don't mean get 100% achievements as I think they're mostly pointless.

And don't do a list of not started games, I think mines hovering around 24 by last count :(
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 70

Postby RedBelmont » 13 Mar 2013, 22:14

Metalrodent wrote:
RedBelmont wrote:but that final mission objective of sniping guards and making them fall into open graves just drove me bonkers. Must have tried it fifty times and could never nail it, and so the game got punted as I wanted to buy X-Com... now I'll never know what happened to Agent 47 :(

Er that wasn't the objective, that was an optional objective for score - you could still finish the mission without doing that you know :|
Also they didn't have to fall into grave to get the achievement - just a headshot will do.

I know it was optional but I can't help having to do it, it's some sort of gaming ocd where I just can't ignore it unfortunately.

I think the problem I had was that the game wasn't very consistent, sometimes a headshot would be enough, sometimes it wouldn't and I never managed a smooth run before giving up.
The Danger Zone
RedBelmont 31

Next