Our Gears of War: Judgment review - what do you want to know

Your comments on our articles.

The Locust are on the march - ready your question-cannons

Review code for People Can Fly's Fenix-less prequel Gears of War: Judgment has arrived, and it has fallen to yours truly to lay a review and score upon its grotesquely wrinkled pate. Like a squad of COG roughnecks on a reconnaissance mission, my hands, eyes and brain are now exploring the game's brutish immensity. But where should they head first? And what critical tactics should they employ? That, my friend, is up to you.... read more

Our Gears of War: Judgment review - what do you want to know

Postby Blokey219 » 14 Mar 2013, 18:48

If I see the words "same as...." or "more of the same" I'm gonna get really mad, cos every time you review a COD game you fail to mention that it's the same core gameplay with a few decent set-pieces thrown in and a couple of changes to MP. However, back to the subject of GOW: Judgement. I want to know if, as in GOW3, you can level up offline within bot matches. Please tell me this is true!!!!!
Blokey219 8

Re: Our Gears of War: Judgment review - what do you want to

Postby Metalrodent » 14 Mar 2013, 18:56

as someone who didn't like the first game much and has been put off the rest since then.... Will this game make me want to pay attention to the series again?
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 72

Postby FishyGinger » 14 Mar 2013, 19:04

Is it true when you're attacked by a shark you should punch it on the nose? I would assume punching would be quite slow underwater and a multi-tonne killing machine would not really be put off by a left hook.

I'd maybe try reasoning with it, there must be some agreeable deal that can be made. Say, providing it John West tuna chunks once a week in return for little to no limb damage.
Spider-Baby. Its got the body of a spider and the mind of a baby.
FishyGinger 71

Postby OXM ETboy » 14 Mar 2013, 19:13

Is it true when you're attacked by a shark you should punch it on the nose? I would assume punching would be quite slow underwater and a multi-tonne killing machine would not really be put off by a left hook.

I suspect this may be a topic worthy of independent consideration.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby fracturedrich » 14 Mar 2013, 19:25

Is it as hard as they say,i read somewhere that they had to tone it down.Is it glichy,i just completed the brilliant tomb raider,as good as it was it started to struggle towards the end.Has it got good replay value for the main game and does the class system work online.
fracturedrich 48

Postby fracturedrich » 14 Mar 2013, 19:30

FishyGinger wrote:Is it true when you're attacked by a shark you should punch it on the nose? I would assume punching would be quite slow underwater and a multi-tonne killing machine would not really be put off by a left hook.

I'd maybe try reasoning with it, there must be some agreeable deal that can be made. Say, providing it John West tuna chunks once a week in return for little to no limb damage.

I would not advise a left hook,it might just anger it,faced with certain death a reach around might be the only way out,if sexual advances towards this nasty fish does not work try singing some dizzy rascal at it. :idea:
fracturedrich 48

Postby Bezza89 » 14 Mar 2013, 19:53

FishyGinger wrote:Is it true when you're attacked by a shark you should punch it on the nose? I would assume punching would be quite slow underwater and a multi-tonne killing machine would not really be put off by a left hook.

I heard if you wrestle a shark you lose your job.http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-21753342

On topic, is it actually a game where you are rewarded for mixing things up in single player or is it like bulletstorm where you just have to specically complete the levels in certain ways or you don't get rewarded, you did it different, but it wasn't 'their' way of different. Made that game into a bore where you were punished because you didn't do things a certain way whilst handstanding and berating a giraffe on a sealion, on a sealion.

I really dislike bulletstorm. Can you tell?
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
Bezza89 69

Postby CadX » 14 Mar 2013, 19:56

Has it regained the same darkness, intensity and suspense as GoW1 had? In my opinion I loved the Kryll side of the campaign and they mentioned it in their reveal video that they were going back to that trait of campaign style, so I was just wondering if they kept to their word!

Also does it feel like a totally different game, or just another spin off similar to Halo: ODST (don't get me wrong I still really enjoyed the gameplay) where it seemed they just wanted to get another game in for the sake of a huge pay day. Adding to this it seems to me Epic Games are trying to get another game in before the release of the inevitable next generation console! Thanks if you answer these and I'll be looking forward to the review!
CadX 27

Postby RedBelmont » 14 Mar 2013, 20:05

I'm a big fan of the series, the first gameplay footage of the original basically convinced me to buy a 360, and I loved the original multiplayer. However the past two games have let me down on that front as the second felt wonky online and had all sorts of issues, and the third was in my opinion unbalanced and all the maps were geared towards hoard mode.

So my question is mainly regarding the competitive MP; specifically have some of the weapons been toned down and how are the new weapons balance wise, are the maps a bit less focused around easily to defend vantage points that hold the power weapons, and will it still be server based (hoping for a yes on that last one)?

Also only because I've heard all sorts of conflicting rumors if you could clear up any of these tid-bits I'd appreciate it:

Has the perfect active-reload damage boost been nerfed?
Do you now spawn with frags or are they still pick-ups?
Has the infamous wall bouncing been sorted out?
The Danger Zone
RedBelmont 31

Postby RedBelmont » 14 Mar 2013, 20:09

Bezza89 wrote:I really dislike bulletstorm. Can you tell?

Silence sir... Bulletstorm was a thing of beauty, albeit a crazy one. Like a really attractive girl in a restraining jacket :lol:
The Danger Zone
RedBelmont 31

Postby Wadium_Arcadium » 14 Mar 2013, 20:40

RedBelmont wrote:I'm a big fan of the series, the first gameplay footage of the original basically convinced me to buy a 360, and I loved the original multiplayer. However the past two games have let me down on that front as the second felt wonky online and had all sorts of issues, and the third was in my opinion unbalanced and all the maps were geared towards hoard mode.

So my question is mainly regarding the competitive MP; specifically have some of the weapons been toned down and how are the new weapons balance wise, are the maps a bit less focused around easily to defend vantage points that hold the power weapons, and will it still be server based (hoping for a yes on that last one)?

Also only because I've heard all sorts of conflicting rumors if you could clear up any of these tid-bits I'd appreciate it:

Has the perfect active-reload damage boost been nerfed?
Do you now spawn with frags or are they still pick-ups?
Has the infamous wall bouncing been sorted out?

I can answer a few of those for you. The perfect active reload buff has been removed and you now spawn with one main starting weapon (Gnasher, Lancer, Sawed off, Retro Lancer, Hammerburst or the Markza (new semi automatic sniper)) and a standard frag. As for wallbouncing, it's what seperates a decent player from a great player. Epic have backed it since it's introduction so it won't be removed.
"The lord of silver fountains, the king of carven stone. The king beneath the mountain shall come into his own. And the bell shall ring in gladness at the mountain king's return, but all shall fail in sadness, and the lake will shine and burn."
Wadium_Arcadium 38

Postby FishyGinger » 14 Mar 2013, 20:47

OXM ETboy wrote:

I suspect this may be a topic worthy of independent consideration.

You were looking for questions based on Gears of War weren't you? I think I may have missed the mark.

Does it have anything shark related? I've not played 3 yet which I've heard is colourful, but does it do anything different to the previous games, like colour or decent acting?
FishyGinger 71

Postby Plamsa wing » 14 Mar 2013, 20:56

How does it differ (for better or for worse), from previous Gears of War games? Are there any substantial changes that makes Judgement stand out and improves the series as a whole going into next-gen?
I spilled flour in my uncle's kitchen, now I've got a croissant.
Plamsa wing 57

Postby Metalrodent » 14 Mar 2013, 22:18

FishyGinger wrote:decent acting?

Steady on old chap, this is Gears we're talking about
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 72

Postby FishyGinger » 14 Mar 2013, 23:33

You can't stop a man from dreaming.
FishyGinger 71

Next