to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Spec Ops: The Line studio unveils major next generation FPS

Your comments on our articles.

New game will use Unreal Engine 4, reveal coming this year

Spec Ops: The Line developer Yager has a bun in the oven, marked "AAA First Person Shooter". As reported by Eurogamer, it's an Unreal Engine 4 game for next generation platforms, and we can expect a full disclosure in the next few months.... read more

Spec Ops: The Line studio unveils major next generation FPS

Postby ItchyRash » 15 Mar 2013, 12:21

Spec Ops just didn't blow me away. I heard the game play was just your average third person cover shooter but that the story was fantastic but I just never felt that invested. The game play was actually quite poor, the game environments didn't do much for me and the story never reached the heights I expected. Not sure anything by them will really be on my radar. And as you say, an FPS using Unreal Engine doesn't exactly get the mouth watering. I think I'm suffering serious FPS fatigue. Perhaps even Xbox fatigue. I can't remember the last game I played that really excited me other than Hitman
ItchyRash 43

Re: Spec Ops: The Line studio unveils major next generation

Postby MrUchimataMan » 15 Mar 2013, 13:02

This week i've played and completed Spec Ops the line with only a couple of achievements remaining. I did enjoy it as the story was engaging but felt the same as the comment above. The gameplay was repetitive to the point the game became a chore to complete. I don't think i'll take the time to finish the fubar difficulty level as i do not have the patience any more, perhaps i'll change my mind in a few months...?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience
MrUchimataMan 10

Postby CunningSmile » 15 Mar 2013, 13:03

Meanwhile I loved Spec Ops and thought it was one of the most intelligent games since Bioshock. Although the idea of yet another FPS doesn't set my heart alight if it's story is closer to Spec Ops than CoD I'll check it out.
I dream of a world in which a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning his motives
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Postby MrUchimataMan » 15 Mar 2013, 13:11

CunningSmile wrote:Meanwhile I loved Spec Ops and thought it was one of the most intelligent games since Bioshock. Although the idea of yet another FPS doesn't set my heart alight if it's story is closer to Spec Ops than CoD I'll check it out.

The market is too saturated by FPS games so I completely agree! It was intelligent and the story was great but the gameplay was very much, rinse and repeat. Maybe playing it through start to finish non-stop didn't help...
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience
MrUchimataMan 10

Postby FishyGinger » 15 Mar 2013, 13:13

2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 69

Postby Metalrodent » 15 Mar 2013, 13:37

the gameplay of Spec Ops wasn't amazing, but the story and ideas more than made up for it

Hoping these guys can pull another thought provoking game off
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Postby ItchyRash » 15 Mar 2013, 16:01

I don't know. Maybe I missed something with the story. Maybe I just found the game play to be too dull and boring to care much. Personally it couldn't be further from Bioshock. The setting, the script, the story (bar the ending) were perfect. Each to their own though. By no means am I disputing your view of the game but I just couldn't love anything about it. Perhaps it was because i'd seen people on this site bigging up the story that I expected too much. I blame all of you guys
Last edited by ItchyRash on 15 Mar 2013, 16:29, edited 1 time in total.
ItchyRash 43

Postby FishyGinger » 15 Mar 2013, 16:08

ItchyRash wrote:I don't know. Maybe I missed something with the story. Maybe I just found the game play to be too dull and boring to care much. Personally it couldn't be further from Bioshock. The setting, the script, the story (bar the ending) were perfect. Each to their own though. By know means am I disputing your view of the game but I just couldn't love anything about it. Perhaps it was because i'd seen people on this site bigging up the story that I expected too much. I blame all of you guys

Nah I'm same as you. I enjoyed the story and the choices but they didn't feel so amazing I could forgive the crap gameplay and dull setting. So I'd say for me it was above average but nothing special.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 69

Postby MrUchimataMan » 15 Mar 2013, 16:12

FishyGinger wrote:
ItchyRash wrote:I don't know. Maybe I missed something with the story. Maybe I just found the game play to be too dull and boring to care much. Personally it couldn't be further from Bioshock. The setting, the script, the story (bar the ending) were perfect. Each to their own though. By know means am I disputing your view of the game but I just couldn't love anything about it. Perhaps it was because i'd seen people on this site bigging up the story that I expected too much. I blame all of you guys

Nah I'm same as you. I enjoyed the story and the choices but they didn't feel so amazing I could forgive the crap gameplay and dull setting. So I'd say for me it was above average but nothing special.

Hit the nail on the head for me too
MrUchimataMan 10