to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Saints Row 4 release date and gameplay trailer - superheroes

Your comments on our articles.

Carnage reigns supreme in the first proper footage

Saints Row 4 will release on 20th August 2013, Volition and Deep Silver have announced. The first in-game footage of the "climactic" (as in, final?) Saints Row is below. Hold onto your hats...... read more

Saints Row 4 release date and gameplay trailer - superheroes

Postby Gazisdaman » 15 Mar 2013, 14:34

It looks very similar to saints row 3, might as well be DLC. :?
Gazisdaman 35

Re: Saints Row 4 release date and gameplay trailer - superhe

Postby Bezza89 » 15 Mar 2013, 14:41

Gazisdaman wrote:It looks very similar to saints row 3, might as well be DLC. :?

It was dlc.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby Shamanix » 15 Mar 2013, 14:44

EH?? are you some sort of superhero this time? did i see him flying then? didnt even realise that there was a saints row, tought they would at least wait till the nxt gen to bring it out. just a question though is anyone gonna buy seems as the almighty gta is out so soon after?
Shamanix 27

Postby Grummy » 15 Mar 2013, 14:49

As a rule, I'd rather Saint's Row over GTA any day, but I have to say, this looked pretty shit and too stupid, even for my tolerance levels.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Postby Bezza89 » 15 Mar 2013, 14:52

If I remember correctly, it was initially dlc called enter the dominatrix and was supposed to be out last november, but they then turned it into a standalone expansion, and then made it into SR4 for release in early 2013, but THQ went gerts up and everyone went in limbo for a bit, it's a relatively short game limbo so they got bought by deep silver and are now releasing in august having forgotten that gtav is coming out not four weeks after.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby jaymes420 » 15 Mar 2013, 15:55

this looks pretty fun, but dont get it twisted..Saints row will NEVER beat GTA lol, they're on different levels altogether, the devs just dont pour their heart and sole, 4-5 years, and the insane money, it takes to compete with the rockstar, anyway i dont think they should even be compared, i buy both games cause im into open world games, saints row is fun, and silly and crazy, but it just doesn't tick the same boxes, or half as many boxes as GTA, ill be playing GTA V for a long time, where as saints row just doesn't have that same longevity, ill still buy this, but dont think a game that was originally DLC for the last game ever has a chance against a monster like GTA V, wont happen, and im not saying this cause im just a "fanboy",..which i admittedly am, but rockstar puts more work into their games than a LOT of developers, there's a good reason they own the sandbox realm, they created it, and their always the first to push and build on it. every new GTA game sets new standards for the whole genre of open world games, you aint taking that pie from Rockstar THQ lol
jaymes420 6

Postby Waffles2541 » 15 Mar 2013, 16:39

This looks almost too stupid for its own good. Saint's Row the Third was great because it was willing to put some madness in but still felt slightly grounded. This just looks like a random mash up of every completely bonkers super hero/sci-fi film that has been shoved down our throats in the past few years.

While I get the appeal of killing someone with a 10 foot dildo sword whilst dressed as a giant hotdog riding on top of a supercar and simultaneously being flung around by some kind of robot with a jetpack and a latex fetish, I feel i did enough of that (sort of) in SR3. Just adding more bizarre stuff to do really doesn't count as anything innovating, although innovation clearly has never really been the point of the saint's row series in general.

I feel i will give this one a miss, as I like to keep my sanity for at least another year.
I had fun once, it was awful.
Waffles2541 39

Postby PonderingWalrus » 15 Mar 2013, 17:00

I'm sure 0:33 has some Crackdown 2 wind gliding.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
PonderingWalrus 42

Postby zacho 666 » 15 Mar 2013, 17:14

Nice to know that Saints will still be Saints :mrgreen:
CANADA BABY!
zacho 666 25

Postby Plamsa wing » 15 Mar 2013, 17:23

The trailer doesn't really do anything for me, it just looks like it's being too "crazy" for the sake of it. Just feels like a cash-in on their part before next-gen.

Reminds of Bulletstorms, "i'll kill your ****" scene or the rest of it's ever so witty dialogue.
"Hey! Don't lob factual statements at me as if they're insults!"
Plamsa wing 54

Postby Rnald » 15 Mar 2013, 17:52

Wow they're taking this series down a horrible path.

Saints Row 1 + 2 were some of the great games of all time in terms of enjoyment for me personally, The Third ruined it by taking the insanity too far and this is going another step further.

Oh well GTA it is then.
Rnald 39

Postby GallifreyDog » 15 Mar 2013, 18:03

This sort of reminds me of what Saints Row The Third should have had, except I doubt there'll be a good plot to go along with it. Doubt I'll bother with this though, really not enough of a radical change for me to be interested. Could play it in the month leading up to GTA V but I wouldn't really pay £40 for SRIV.
GallifreyDog 26

Postby Blackout G83 » 15 Mar 2013, 20:02

Rnald wrote:Wow they're taking this series down a horrible path.

Saints Row 1 + 2 were some of the great games of all time in terms of enjoyment for me personally, The Third ruined it by taking the insanity too far and this is going another step further.

Oh well GTA it is then.

agreed,number 2 especially was a great game but the 3rd had sum silly stuff in but flying,super powers,a giant can attacking a town?whats that all about,lol
Blackout G83 39

Postby Drainwater » 16 Mar 2013, 00:24

Eh I liked the third one. GTA is my more serious open world romp while Saints Row is my more ridiculous open world romp. They've never had super strong stories in my opinion anyway, it was always about the over-the-top gameplay. Also, never judge a game by a teaser trailer. They always throw all attention grabbing scenes out of context. There might be a perfectly good reason for that giant can mascot to be attacking the town (although probably not).
Drainwater 34

Postby Metalrodent » 16 Mar 2013, 00:27

I liked the 3rd as well, but it was too short and just not deep enough - mini games and collectables should not be the core of a game
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 67

Next