to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Hot Topic: will you buy the next Xbox at launch?

Your comments on our articles.

It's on the horizon, but is it worth getting for Christmas?

Hark, the zip and clang of opinions clashing against one another! It can only be another instalment of the Hot Topic - a monthly feature in which two of OXM's finest battle for your approval.... read more

Postby Grummy » 15 Mar 2013, 15:47

Considering I have a new baby dropping in about 3 months, having the money for a new console at launch just isn't happening.

However, assuming I DID have the money (and assuming I wasn't ridiculously flushed with cash) I'm still not sure I would. £300 for the new console with a game or 2 would be my limit I think, but even so it would greatly depend on what the launch titles were, particularly, which ones were next gen only, as a lot of these titles are cross generation, so I can more than happily play them on my current box. If there aren't any new games that are next gen only that make me feel like I NEED to play them asap, then I won't be getting one immediately.
One. Warrior. Nation.

"The PS4 reminds me of a Kit-Kat, and I like Kit-Kats" as spoken by the Hetty.
Grummy 67
OXM Moderator

Postby Gazisdaman » 15 Mar 2013, 15:53

Thanks for the advice I'll outfit my yacht immediately, in fact I'll outfit my entire fleet. :D
Gazisdaman 35

Re: Hot Topic: will you buy the next Xbox at launch?

Postby FishyGinger » 15 Mar 2013, 16:03

I'm glad people do get it at launch but I really cannot see the point. Jonty's argument is very thin, consoles pretty much always have launch issues and the games out at launch usually aren't that great. I don't think it matters if it is essentially a pc it still will have problems and probably will come down in price soon after launch.

I have the money but I'll be waiting. I also have about 3 years of solid games this generation (and last gen) to get done first so buying a new console at launch would require me to become Michael Keaton and clone myself.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 70

Postby Bezza89 » 15 Mar 2013, 16:08

Depends doesn't it? Are you buying the new thing that no-one knows anything about and doesn't exist? Well, if it's good looking games wise and power wise, yes. If not - no. Seeing as we know nothing, that's right, nothing! I don't see the point in asking whether we're buying.

Even if it was best thing ever quality, I might hold off if the price is steep, if reviews on how it is built don't hold up. Otherwise I'd gladly upgrade so long as there's something worth upgrading for.
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
Bezza89 69

Postby CadX » 15 Mar 2013, 16:23

I'm with Bezza here, it to me depends on what the new gadgets and gizmo's that the next generation has to offer, and most important what next gen game exclusives there are as well as if there is cross-generation platform games then the new Xbox would have to downgrade it's capabilities for the old, and the only thing improved would be the graphics. That being said we don't know (or I haven't noticed) that games like GTA 5 and Destiny actually will be able to play with the current Xbox and the next-gen Xbox, meaning that the games would be enhanced and overall better on the new Xbox.

To put it short, I would buy the new Xbox, only if they high quality games exclusive to the next generation.
CadX 27

Postby vadersmyfather » 15 Mar 2013, 16:41

I'm just too excited about the next generation not to get one of the consoles at launch, possibly both. I'm not especially concerned about price drops (if I went for that argument I'd never buy anything,) or hardware issues (my original 2005 Xbox and its 2011 Slim replacement have both suffered hard drive failures.)

My heart lies with the Xbox brand, no doubt about that, but I will probably decide based on which seems to have a greater leaning toward mature gamers.
Last edited by vadersmyfather on 15 Mar 2013, 16:50, edited 4 times in total.
I think the people in the flat above me are having sex...
Either that or they're sleeping restlessly and agreeing with each other a lot.
vadersmyfather 49

Postby CunningSmile » 15 Mar 2013, 16:42

I voted Yes, but probably won't buy it launch day but still within the launch window. Assuming it comes out October/November time (safe bet considering the release dates of cross platform titles) I'll probably think about picking it up in January. I'll hopefully be flush from Christmas money, we'll have a pretty good idea if there is a RROD style cock up in the works and there will be lots of Christmas releases to judge whether it's worth the time and expense.
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby Insaneyokel » 15 Mar 2013, 17:09

I am going to preorder so I get one, that's if I can save the pennies. Going to trade in my wii and ps3 to get some cash. Hopefully they will have a good launch line up of games
Twitter: @RMRedmanAuthor
Gamertag: RONA79
Insaneyokel 48

Postby Metalrodent » 15 Mar 2013, 17:18

gievn how much money i currently have (not much) thats a no from me
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Postby tony99 » 15 Mar 2013, 17:19

I won't be getting the new console at launch,i still feel(as do most of my friends)that the current console is perfectly adequate for the time being.
However,i will be getting one about 1yr/18 mths after launch.This should allow plenty of decent games to be available to buy.Plus having 4 kids and recently being made redundant it'll give me plenty of time to save the pennies :)
tony99 18

Postby Kachi » 15 Mar 2013, 17:25

I'll probably buy it, if not at launch, then within a couple of months of it. I bought my first 360 four months after launch. It lasted five years and would probably still work if my dog hadn't killed it. I've had another three Xboxes since, two of which have had hardware failures, the third being the one I'm using now, so I've not (yet!) had a bad experience with launch hardware (there's still every chance, of course...).
Kachi 21

Postby Plamsa wing » 15 Mar 2013, 17:35

It really depends on what it offers that current gen consoles don't give me. So far all I've seen is more connectivity from Sony, that doesn't exactly get me excited.

Just give me a friends list and party chat, that'll sort me. I could do without Facebook sharing, I haven't used it since that Darksiders 2 weapon promotion, that was August past.

Better grahpics? Nice, but I've already mentioned what I'd like from next-gen on the Crytek article t'other day.

As Bezza said, there isn't much we know about these new machines, so making a decision based on what little we know isn't such a good idea right now.

There's also the matter of price to consider too.
I spilled flour in my uncle's kitchen, now I've got a croissant.
Plamsa wing 57

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 15 Mar 2013, 17:43

Craigs reasons sum up my own dubiousness over purchasing a new console on release day. Will I want to fork out Hundreds of pounds for a console only to play the next gen equivalent of Perfect Dark Zero...No thanks. I want something astounding as a launch title to really give us a reason to buy it. A brand new Final Fantasy or Deus Ex game.

I am expecting there to be a lot of problems with the new consoles especially if those watermarked disc, always online, built in kinect rumours are true.
Id buy an always online console no problem but I dont want to buy a console that can only be played online only for the Xbox live server to crash for whatever reason with days to wait before its fixed again.
I dont want a kinect...ever! Especially if a problem with the built in kinect forces the whole console to stop functioning.
Watermarked discs sound to be more hassle than they're worth in my opinion, what if in the production of the disc something goes wrong and an entire batch of games are rendered unplayable? The recall costs alone would be a Bitch

All extreme examples based on rumours because thats all we fecking have...Just bloody shows us the damned thing or at least what it will be called already!

As Ive said previously
If comes the day the new console is revealed and there is a bunch of numptys in suits talking about kinect for 2 hours Im off to Sony
Johnbhoy69 55

Postby Metalrodent » 15 Mar 2013, 17:46

Johnbhoy69 wrote:If comes the day the new console is revealed and there is a bunch of numptys in suits talking about kinect for 2 hours Im off to Sony

Noo It'l be a bunch of young actors/musicians who clearly have no idea what they're talking about but enjoy being paid to do so (if its good enough for Apple...)
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 15 Mar 2013, 17:54

Metalrodent wrote:
Johnbhoy69 wrote:If comes the day the new console is revealed and there is a bunch of numptys in suits talking about kinect for 2 hours Im off to Sony

Noo It'l be a bunch of young actors/musicians who clearly have no idea what they're talking about but enjoy being paid to do so (if its good enough for Apple...)

If they Hire Olivia Wilde then Im ok with it.

long have i dreamed of seeing her playing with her xbox...a xbox...my bad :oops:
Johnbhoy69 55

Next