Gears of War - Epic talks copycats, Berserkers and female le

Your comments on our articles.

Art director Chris Perna on "the subtleties of the female form"

With a flashback frame narrative, Left 4 Dead-style adaptive spawning, class-based multiplayer and new tactical trappings, you could be forgiven for calling Gears of War: Judgment a brand new IP. Providing you steer clear of screenshots, anyway.... read more

Postby Metalrodent » 16 Mar 2013, 18:28

Do you think you'd ever make a Gears game with a female lead?

That's certainly interesting but I don't know. If you look at what sells, it's tough to justify something like that.

This is why nothing will change, if studios aren't willing to take a risk then of course things wont advance. just ocasionally people should look beyond money, I mean look at the success of the new Tomb Raider - proof that female led games can and do work without taking anything away from the experience

and if someone refuses to buy a game because it has a female lead then they shouldn't have the right to game at all
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 72

Re: Gears of War - Epic talks copycats, Berserkers and femal

Postby drgonred400 » 17 Mar 2013, 00:54

Really enjoyed that interview. Gears of war judgement looks amazing, and am glad it isn't a complete copy and paste of gears 3.
drgonred400 3

Postby drgonred400 » 17 Mar 2013, 00:56

Metalrodent wrote:
Do you think you'd ever make a Gears game with a female lead?

That's certainly interesting but I don't know. If you look at what sells, it's tough to justify something like that.

This is why nothing will change, if studios aren't willing to take a risk then of course things wont advance. just ocasionally people should look beyond money, I mean look at the success of the new Tomb Raider - proof that female led games can and do work without taking anything away from the experience

and if someone refuses to buy a game because it has a female lead then they shouldn't have the right to game at all

No one is saying that female leads are bad and I feel like you are overreacting. I would enjoy to have more female leads in videogames, but in a game like gears where story doesn't really matter as much its not really necessary.
drgonred400 3

Postby zacho 666 » 17 Mar 2013, 18:05

I see a female Gear with a helmet on, could this be the famous D Carmine?
CANADA BABY!
zacho 666 25

Postby Fox F6 » 12 Jan 2015, 22:30

I can't take a macho grim dark story seriously with a female lead. People complain about things not changing. THAT is something that doesn't need to change.

Putting in a female lead with the primary motivation of being diverse is stupid. Put a female lead in where it makes sense, not because of political correctness.
Fox F6 15

Postby Metalrodent » 13 Jan 2015, 00:55

Fox F6 wrote:I can't take a macho grim dark story seriously with a female lead.

True, Alien is clearly a hilarious comedy
Metalrodent 72

Postby SilentDark » 13 Jan 2015, 02:12

Although it did involve a great deal of evasion and the use of cunning. She wasn't exactly beating the xenomorph to death with her fists or anything. Funnily enough there were four females in the sequel and the only ones to survive were the ones without military training or combat experience.

Also the entire franchise is hilarious, I mean what can you say about a corporation that invests billions if not trillions of dollars into attempting to contain and control xenomorphs and failing each and every time. They should have long since gone bankrupt.
"It's a cruel joke. The mechanistic clockwork of reality hinging on a precious impossible defiance of entropy, on life. And the clockwork doesn't care. It's like - Like it's all just us, in here together. We're all we've got."
SilentDark 68

Postby Metalrodent » 13 Jan 2015, 02:19

They must be supplied by ACME
Metalrodent 72

Postby captainhetty » 13 Jan 2015, 13:45

Whilst I agree completely with not putting in female leads for the sake of it, I disagree entirely with the concept of dark 'macho' (really?) storylines not being a suitable setting for female characters.

Apparently some people still need reminding of the fact that, for the most part, we are actually physically capable of doing the same things that you are. Are there women in the armed forces? Are there female athletes? Boxers? Bodybuilders? Astronauts?

Whether the story needs a female lead or not aside, to assume it shouldn't have one because it's too 'macho' for one, is naive at best.
"Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets, it's going to be a Crumpocalypse."
GT - captainhetty
PSN - captain_hetty
captainhetty 63

Postby SilentDark » 13 Jan 2015, 14:06

Although of those five professions you mentioned, only two of them are alongside males, women in sports only compete against other women for reasons of sexual dimorphism. Would love to see more female roided up freaks though. There certainly aren't nearly enough.
"It's a cruel joke. The mechanistic clockwork of reality hinging on a precious impossible defiance of entropy, on life. And the clockwork doesn't care. It's like - Like it's all just us, in here together. We're all we've got."
SilentDark 68

Postby captainhetty » 13 Jan 2015, 14:17

Way to completely miss the point. Who competes against who because of rules is irrelevant. That doesn't mean by any stretch of the imagination they can't physically do the same things as men can. It's about time people stopped playing to stereotypes and just dealt with the fact that actually, nearly half the people buying games now are female. Why shouldn't they be catered for as well.
"Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets, it's going to be a Crumpocalypse."
GT - captainhetty
PSN - captain_hetty
captainhetty 63

Postby SilentDark » 13 Jan 2015, 15:16

No I got your point. But the 'half of people playing games are female argument' is quite weak in this case because those females aren't playing Gears, or CoD or Battlefield, they're playing the Sims or Candy Crush or that Kim Kardashian nonsense. The girls who do play games like CoD are a periphery demographic at best. They aren't going to be catered for because they aren't the primary consumer which brings in the dollars.

http://usabilitynews.org/video-games-ma ... er-social/

This study illustrates my point.
SilentDark 68

Postby CunningSmile » 13 Jan 2015, 15:48

SilentDark wrote:No I got your point. But the 'half of people playing games are female argument' is quite weak in this case because those females aren't playing Gears, or CoD or Battlefield, they're playing the Sims or Candy Crush or that Kim Kardashian nonsense. The girls who do play games like CoD are a periphery demographic at best. They aren't going to be catered for because they aren't the primary consumer which brings in the dollars.

http://usabilitynews.org/video-games-ma ... er-social/

This study illustrates my point.

Hardly a peripheral

Results reveal that males overwhelmingly played more violent video games than females. However, females reported playing both violent and non-violent almost equally

So that's men (making up half the buyers) playing violent games and women (the other half) playing a 50/50 split. That still means women make up almost a third of the people playing violent games. One in three of your market is more than enough to justify catering to them a hell of a lot more often than currently happens.

It's also not a particularly great study looking at their methodology. 341 is not a very large sample size, it's too heavily bias towards males and the fact the majority are unemployed students doesn't reflect the fact the average gamer is now a 30 something with lots of disposable income. Even by their own results most women start gaming at a later age which means that by having such a large percentage of students in the sample group they are missing out the bulk of the female gamers.

Again (just to be nit picky) according to this study the number of female console players is significantly greater than the number of male console gamers (who dominate in PC gaming here) which doesn't really reflect reality, but would surely indicate that a console series like Gears of War could only benefit from female protagonists? Apparently the number of women playing violent games on consoles is actually greater than the number of males doing the same.
A Tweet is like an episode of Game of Thrones; there are 140 characters and something awful usually happens
CunningSmile 74
OXM Moderator

Postby mackered » 13 Jan 2015, 17:59

Shame on you Cunning,

50 percent male then a 50-50 split? In my book, that's a quarter :lol:
Last one out, don't forget to switch the lights off!
mackered 60

Postby SilentDark » 13 Jan 2015, 18:41

@Cunning

I dunno. If I were making a game I'd rather cater for the 66% than the 33%. Besides games featuring female protagonists don't sell as well. Apart from Tomb raider has any game featuring a female protagonist ever spawned a franchise?
SilentDark 68

Next