to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Ex-Battlefield boss: Ubisoft and Take-Two may not survive sw

Your comments on our articles.

Assassin's Creed and GTA publishers are "in a really dangerous position"

Former Battlefield franchise executive producer Ben Cousins has tossed in his two-pence (translation for American readers: "ten cents") on whether traditional games publishing can survive the switch to a market dominated by digital distribution. EA's not doing too badly, apparently, but Grand Theft Auto publisher Take Two and Ubisoft need to straighten themselves out.... read more

Ex-Battlefield boss: Ubisoft and Take-Two may not survive sw

Postby Waffles2541 » 18 Mar 2013, 12:28

When is this season of "Who's got the bigger dick" going to end. Pretty much anyone with an EA badge at the moment is just spurting out accusations that the only company with a future in the video games industry is EA, and anyone that doesn't have the EA badge tattooed firmly all over their chests is doomed to wither away and die. Sounds to me like the video game equivalent of ethnic cleansing.
I had fun once, it was awful.
Waffles2541 40

Re: Ex-Battlefield boss: Ubisoft and Take-Two may not surviv

Postby Spiderless » 18 Mar 2013, 13:22

Ubisoft have U-Play - the much better received and arguably more usable version of EAs Origin (which pissed off pretty much everyone in PC gaming). Ubi are quite well placed for digital. Not sure they've got the arcade games but AAA is not going to die out (despite various people continuously trumpeting that it will). And Take-Two, like the article says, has GTA, which will likely break sales records etc etc...

Also: "revenue drop from $1.06 billion in the same period last year to $922 million" - Aw frikkin' diddums, can you only buy 50 private jets instead of 52?
Spiderless 25

Postby Bezza89 » 18 Mar 2013, 13:29

What is he saying? Some publishers might not survive if they don't bring out their own digital platform? I can't see ubisoft failing, they have some great franchises and can sell their games digitally easily, whether through uplay or steam, even origin now.

And Take Two? Bioshock Infinite, GTAV this year, a sequel to either would bring in the bacon easily (unless either are terrible) and they still have other amazing stuff, Take two own R* games, 2k games.

I don't understand what the guy is saying. Will these games not be digitally provided? Arse, talking out of.
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
Bezza89 69

Postby msbhvn » 18 Mar 2013, 16:09

Funny, because I don't see EA surviving very long if they don't learn a little humility. They are also in dire need of some new ideas. Making games that are blatant attempts to steal the success of established titles and being overly critical of the competition while ignoring their own faults just won't cut it for much longer.

Just two or three years ago, EA were making good, original games and had good will with customers, but they've destroyed that by ruining franchises left and right, shutting off multiplayer servers and on PC, employing more and more oppressive DRM that only hurts legitimate customers.

He also seems to have overlooked the fact that not only do Ubisoft have their own digital distribution service, they also publish on Origin.
The new first law of the internet: For every action, there is an irrational and disproportionate social media overreaction.
msbhvn 69

Postby SilentDark » 18 Mar 2013, 16:52

EA....good at digital distribution? Really? Because after their recent SimCity debacle I would think that if this company had any dignity or pride they'd shut down now to spare themselves from future embarrassment.

These guys can't manage the basics of day one server loads if gaming went into full digital distribution do you think clowns that inept could cope.

I think Ubisoft and Take Two will be fine, but I sincerely hope that EA won't be for much longer.
"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say."
SilentDark 66

Postby PonderingWalrus » 18 Mar 2013, 20:33

Even though I knew this guy would just be spurting utter crap I still took the time to read it...

WHY?!?!?!?!?
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
PonderingWalrus 42

Postby battfink83 » 18 Mar 2013, 22:19

id rather buy a gta game on disk than download another bug ridden, micro transaction slammed, online unlock code raped EA title........ just saying.

seriously, are these guys living up their own jelly doughnut covered arsecracks? what the hell is worng with physical media? stop trying to 'convert' everyone to your own way of thinking.....
battfink83 53