to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Bungie considered "straight-up fantasy" and modern day setti

Your comments on our articles.

But sci-fantasy "gave us this freedom"

Bungie's always-online next gen shooter Destiny has been bubbling away in pre-production for yonks, with ideas beginning to circulate well before the studio split from Microsoft - there are references to the new shooter's background fiction in Halo 3: ODST, released way back in 2009. The choice of a science fiction setting seems an obvious one, given the studio's pedigree, but according to writer and design director Joseph Staten, it took Bungie years to nail down.... read more

Bungie considered "straight-up fantasy" and modern day setti

Postby MrUchimataMan » 18 Mar 2013, 14:53

2.38 - AWWWW YEAH!

That character looks like a beast (IronMan), day one purchase for me :D
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience
MrUchimataMan 10

Re: Bungie considered "straight-up fantasy" and modern day s

Postby Thos. » 18 Mar 2013, 17:58

MrUchimataMan wrote:2.38 - AWWWW YEAH!

That character looks like a beast (IronMan), day one purchase for me :D

No microtransactions in Destiny*

*Note: This is only according to fan Claude Errera. However, he is possibly the most respected member of the Bungie community, and the first guy I'd trust with info outside of Bungie themselves. http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Claude_Errera
Thos. 43

Postby OXM ETboy » 18 Mar 2013, 18:05

You got a link to that, Thos? I'm not sure I believe it.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Bezza89 » 18 Mar 2013, 18:08

I prefer my fantasy horizontal if I'm honest.

And yeah, no microtransactions? For an online only game which they say they are 'supporting' for the next decade this is very dubious. There's definitely going to be dlc bits locked off, whether they stick to expansions or what not, I'd be surprised if they didn't try to sell vehicles and stuff.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby Thos. » 18 Mar 2013, 18:27

OXM ETboy wrote:You got a link to that, Thos? I'm not sure I believe it.

Here's a link: http://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=1452

This statement was made in February, and obviously anything could change at any time, but in terms of credibility, Claude is the most respectable source you will get. (How many other people can claim they had a nightclub on Reach named after them?!)
Thos. 43

Postby OXM ETboy » 18 Mar 2013, 18:41

Interesting. I wonder what Acti's take on micro-transacs is right now, given all the flak EA's taken.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Plamsa wing » 18 Mar 2013, 18:52

I'd much rather have a Sci-fi anyway.

Fantasy? We've enough already really, even them most of them are nearlly the same.

Modern day setting? I live in Modern day times, it's not very exciting I can tell you that much.

It may or may not have microstransactions, but if they plan to support the game for year to come, it'll have to have DLC in some form or other.

Whether it's free or not well have to see, but I willing to bet it's paid for obvious reasons.

Thos. wrote:This statement was made in February, and obviously anything could change at any time, but in terms of credibility, Claude is the most respectable source you will get. (How many other people can claim they had a nightclub on Reach named after them?!)

You see that's a problem in itself, it would be kind of ungrateful on his part, were he to start spreading rumours or lies as some would call them, after something like that.

It's sounds like guess work at best on his part though.
"Hey! Don't lob factual statements at me as if they're insults!"
Plamsa wing 54