Remember Me shunned by publishers because "you can't have a

Your comments on our articles.

Dontnod: 'If you think like that, there's no way the medium's going to mature'"

Words can't describe how depressed I was when Epic's Chris Perna told me that a female Gears of War lead would be "tough to justify", given the nature of the game's market. Seems people who buy action videogames are all terrified baby-men who can't process the concept of an alternate in-game gender. Who knew? I imagine Remember Me creative director Jean-Max Morris was similarly narked to discover that nobody would publish his (quietly promising) game, on the strength of preconceptions about the audience.... read more

Remember Me shunned by publishers because "you can't have a

Postby Gazisdaman » 19 Mar 2013, 12:30

Sometimes I think we've moved on from sexism, then you read something like this.
Last edited by Gazisdaman on 19 Mar 2013, 12:55, edited 1 time in total.
Gazisdaman 35
 
Posts: 151
Joined: 01 Nov 2011, 00:18
Location: United Kingdom

Remember Me shunned by publishers because "you can't have a

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 19 Mar 2013, 12:34

This is ridiculous. It is often the case that female characters are better written, making them more appealing and interesting. Over the years (and in the present day) there have been some great, even iconic female characters, and I’m all for being given the choice.

Indeed, I often prefer to play as female characters, even in Gears multiplayer, after all, there is nothing worse than staring at the backside of Marcus when DBNO and awaiting the approaching Locust’s boot!
User avatar
AllusiveTurtle 44
 
Posts: 673
Joined: 07 May 2011, 17:57
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Remember Me shunned by publishers because "you can't hav

Postby skellen79 » 19 Mar 2013, 12:59

WOW, regressive reasoning much? So we can have women in roles of inspiration in the fields of politics, business, sport, military, medical, science, education and all other forms of entertainment but not games. They just won't sell. Not even when women are traditionally attached to a product to raise the interest of the male population.
I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and where ever truth, love and laughter abide, I will be there in spirit.
Bill Hicks 1961-1994
skellen79 30
 
Posts: 120
Joined: 01 Nov 2009, 04:55
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Remember Me shunned by publishers because "you can't hav

Postby Metalrodent » 19 Mar 2013, 13:12

he's right you know - after playing as a woman during the Mass Effect games i instantly turned into an aggressive gay and now make it my lifes goal to hunt down and forcibly convert other men
Image
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
User avatar
Metalrodent 72
 
Posts: 5521
Joined: 20 Nov 2012, 15:22

Re: Remember Me shunned by publishers because "you can't hav

Postby Savoci » 19 Mar 2013, 13:39

Wow, really? This is what the game industry needs to get over. Gender and sexual orientation doesn't change what gameplay you can have. Anyone else bored of the super strong male who always gets the lady in the end? I'd love a game that touches a more sensitive subject, like one of these guys struggling with being gay. Now that would be interesting. Sadly, though, it seems the game industry isn't mature enough yet, and this is very sad...
Savoci 18
 
Posts: 12
Joined: 17 Mar 2013, 11:51

Remember Me shunned by publishers because "you can't have a

Postby Muppetman51 » 19 Mar 2013, 13:59

Congratulations game publishers. Well done. You have finally managed to outdo yourselves for mind-boggling ass-hattery. Geralt can shag his way across any number of species divides and get a few tuts here and there. One game talks about maybe having a little romance from the other side of the coin well away from anything so explicit and suddenly no-one wants to know. I'm fast running out of faith with the games industry, its like it refuses to grow up. And by extension assumes that every gamer shares it own skewed view of reality.

Straw poll, anyone here care if you decided to buy Remember Me and it had this as part of the story? Anyone care that a woman is the lead?

On another topic completely, is it me or did Log enjoy clocking Matt one in the video? I'm guessing he didn't mean to connect quite so well, but he looked pretty happy when he did...
I summon bigger fish to crush Bubble
User avatar
Muppetman51 43
 
Posts: 659
Joined: 13 Nov 2012, 20:27
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Remember Me shunned by publishers because "you can't hav

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 19 Mar 2013, 14:10

So Lara croft was what...a fluke? I doubt that very much
Video game big wigs really dont have a damn clue what gamers want. A female lead in Gears would be a refreshing change. Ive zero interest in Judgement because Gears 3 was so mundane...and the writing was blatantly half assed and unfinished. A female perspective in the wake of E-day would of been a far better idea.
Johnbhoy69 56
 
Posts: 978
Joined: 22 Dec 2011, 20:29
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Remember Me shunned by publishers because "you can't hav

Postby Metalrodent » 19 Mar 2013, 14:14

Johnbhoy69 wrote:So Lara croft was what...a fluke? I doubt that very much

No - Lara had massive breasts
Image
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
User avatar
Metalrodent 72
 
Posts: 5521
Joined: 20 Nov 2012, 15:22

Re: Remember Me shunned by publishers because "you can't hav

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 19 Mar 2013, 14:24

Metalrodent wrote:
Johnbhoy69 wrote:So Lara croft was what...a fluke? I doubt that very much

No - Lara had massive breasts


Is that what those were!?

I thought they were to help with buoyancy when she went swimming :lol:
Johnbhoy69 56
 
Posts: 978
Joined: 22 Dec 2011, 20:29
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Remember Me shunned by publishers because "you can't hav

Postby SilentDark » 19 Mar 2013, 14:24

Noooooo....don't make me kiss a dude....I don wan to be the gays!!!!!!

Seriously though, female protagonists are nothing new Fem Shep is arguably more popular than her male counterpart. Lara Croft, Samus Aran (well until Other M destroyed all of her credibility, but that's another rant for another time)

The notion that playing as a girl that has a romantic interest in a guy will somehow squick out any reasonably intelligent male just shows how low the opinion of these companies is with regards to their own customers.

Is their market research based on youtube comments or something?

I would very much like to play an action shooter where the main character isn't a roider or some faceless mook in full body armour.
"That is what forgiveness sounds like. Screaming and then silence."
SilentDark 68
 
Posts: 2938
Joined: 10 Jan 2013, 15:40
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Remember Me shunned by publishers because "you can't hav

Postby Bezza89 » 19 Mar 2013, 14:48

Part of the problem with female protagonists these days is the gaming media, you can't just have a female protagonist, she has to be non-sexualised. What? You're wearing a corset Elizabeth of Bioshock infinite? You whore! Wearing clothing of the time. Lara Croft fighting for survival? Oh she's being raped now is it? Ha I exaggerate, my point is if your game is going to be ridiculed for being sexist on the slightest of design choices it's no surprise they avoid using females.

On the publishers thoughts though; I'm sure female gamers don't care about playing as men, so why would men be any different? I'm not, I loved playing as Jennifer Hale Shepard in ME, I even romanced that douchebag kaidan. I didn't go back to him after me2 though, fob me off on horizon will you? Screw you! I didn't find it awkward.

I'm more irked by the stereotyping of male protagonists, how many games feature muscly men with skin heads compared to how many that have a normal bloke. Why am I not represented with my slim beardy wisdom? Why can't I save the world, why do I need muscles bigger than my head, they're never lifting anything heavy...
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
User avatar
Bezza89 69
 
Posts: 8241
Joined: 17 May 2010, 13:30
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Remember Me shunned by publishers because "you can't hav

Postby Metalrodent » 19 Mar 2013, 15:11

Bezza89 wrote:Part of the problem with female protagonists these days is the gaming media, you can't just have a female protagonist, she has to be non-sexualised. What? You're wearing a corset Elizabeth of Bioshock infinite? You whore! Wearing clothing of the time. Lara Croft fighting for survival? Oh she's being raped now is it? Ha I exaggerate, my point is if your game is going to be ridiculed for being sexist on the slightest of design choices it's no surprise they avoid using females.

Elizabeth was accused of being a sexist character? seriously if thats true then thats very depressing, as you say its fashion of the time, and while she is quite pretty shes hardly a sexed up pouting model - so far from what i can make out she's should be a fantastic character who just happens to be female.

Bezza89 wrote:I'm more irked by the stereotyping of male protagonists, how many games feature muscly men with skin heads compared to how many that have a normal bloke. Why am I not represented with my slim beardy wisdom? Why can't I save the world, why do I need muscles bigger than my head, they're never lifting anything heavy...

pft we all know you have to be a grizzled bald headed veteran with muscles able to lift miniguns and such. Oh and also if you can't shout in an American accent you can't be a leader

:roll:
Image
Image
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
User avatar
Metalrodent 72
 
Posts: 5521
Joined: 20 Nov 2012, 15:22

Re: Remember Me shunned by publishers because "you can't hav

Postby Bezza89 » 19 Mar 2013, 15:31

Metalrodent wrote:Elizabeth was accused of being a sexist character? seriously if thats true then thats very depressing, as you say its fashion of the time, and while she is quite pretty shes hardly a sexed up pouting model - so far from what i can make out she's should be a fantastic character who just happens to be female.

pft we all know you have to be a grizzled bald headed veteran with muscles able to lift miniguns and such. Oh and also if you can't shout in an American accent you can't be a leader


Nah I was exaggerating like I said, it was off our Edwins comments about her cleavage.

And the only games where you pick up miniguns are ones where you are in a powered suit.
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
User avatar
Bezza89 69
 
Posts: 8241
Joined: 17 May 2010, 13:30
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Remember Me shunned by publishers because "you can't hav

Postby Gazisdaman » 19 Mar 2013, 16:14

And the only games where you pick up miniguns are ones where you are in a powered suit.


I direct your attention to black ops and its death machine.
Gazisdaman 35
 
Posts: 151
Joined: 01 Nov 2011, 00:18
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Remember Me shunned by publishers because "you can't hav

Postby Bezza89 » 19 Mar 2013, 16:20

I meant in decent games :wink:
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
User avatar
Bezza89 69
 
Posts: 8241
Joined: 17 May 2010, 13:30
Location: United Kingdom

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests

The forum teamDelete all forum cookiesAll times are UTC [ DST ]