to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Rumour: Next gen Xbox Durango developer documents leak - "al

Your comments on our articles.

Blu-ray support, new controller, hard drive as standard?

If this is a hoax, it's one of the most elaborate hoaxes we've ever come across. Rumour mill regular VGleaks has posted what it claims are documents for the next gen Xbox development kit. They don't say much that the site hasn't already given away or that hasn't been rumoured by other sources, but they offer a reasonably complete picture of the Durango's capabilities from a consumer's point of view. Pending official confirmation, obviously.... read more

Postby Gazisdaman » 20 Mar 2013, 11:47

If this is true, it's a step in the right direction.
Gazisdaman 35

Postby Bezza89 » 20 Mar 2013, 11:50

The problem with always online is when your internet goes down, whether due to external problems or your router being a richard. Case in point, I've been playing simcity a lot and loving it, I've had a smooth process compared to our american siblings and I find the game brilliant online, it's a great feature, honestly. But my internet has gone down three times, and - thankfully I get it running back up within the kick out timer on the servers - due to the kickout timer thing I might lose all my progress as a result.

If my internet goes down even for a second, will I be able to play some eggbox? Yes Bezza, but it'll be the literal eggbox and not the amusing Gamestation marketing campaign from years ago that is your xbox really. In a time when the internet goes down, I console myself with, my console. What do I do now, read a book? I'm still ploughing through Ayn Rand I suppose :wink:

Bad choice of words. However - this is the ONLY problem with always online. Everyone has the internet, and xbox live is free to everyone. If you don't have the internet, you're in the minority-est minority known to man.
Trianglular Sandwiches advocate against remakes of games, except Halo MC collection and GTAV... and metro... and minecraft.
Bezza89 67

Re: Rumour: Next gen Xbox Durango developer documents leak -

Postby -D-C-D- » 20 Mar 2013, 11:53

If the "always connected" turns out to be "only works online" then, despite being a loyal Xbox customer for the past 10 years, I will not be buying. Pains me to say it, but it will maybe even be PS4 for me if all of these disconcerting rumours actually turn out to be true.
-D-C-D- 18

Postby msbhvn » 20 Mar 2013, 12:42

While I don't like the idea of losing access to single player games if my connection goes down, I don't think MS would be stupid enough to implement this without some offline capabilities. Even the best internet connection can fail every now and again and not taking that into account would be a disaster.

If this is true, it begs the same question that I ask of every oppressive DRM technology. Is this going to deter piracy or encourage it? If you penalise legitimate customers, they will turn to piracy to get the game they paid for. Why have none of the big publishers followed iTunes and ditched DRM for a simple account check? If you place trust in your customers instead of treating them like criminals, a lot of piracy wouldn't happen. Hardcore pirates don't buy anything if they can help it, and no DRM will force them to. That's why DRM doesn't work.
#SaveOXM
msbhvn 68

Postby squirrelofDoom » 20 Mar 2013, 13:04

"the console will be "ready instantly when users want to play, and will always maintain a network connection so that console software and games are always current. With this 'Always On, Always Connected' design, users will quickly and easily enjoy their connected entertainment experiences, with no waiting for the console to restart or install updates."

the way I read this, it's only to do with updates and maintaining a smoother experience. I doubt it will suddenly shut off during a game. not even MS are stupid enough to implement that.
squirrelofDoom 25

Postby Alaric14 » 20 Mar 2013, 13:09

"Always on, always connected"? Not if I turn off the power sockets.

In the event that this doesn't turn out to be bullshit, I'll be looking very closely at how developers respond to the new system and its versatility with online features. There has to be room for the next generation to improve upon itself throughout the console's life cycle, and so far it looks like there is. Intriguing stuff.
Animator, writer, and NPC molester.
Alaric14 35

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 20 Mar 2013, 13:36

According to another site (sorry!) that covered this same story - the Blu-ray player will be for install only, not for playback, so there'll be no watching films etc. on Blu-ray on this new console. That seems to me to be very short-sighted and with the PS4 having that capability, it will give some a reason to buy a PS4 rather than the new x-box.

As for Kinect, I don’t need it, don’t want it, and it doesn’t work for me. I am disabled and have to sit in a chair with my legs elevated at all time, if the Kinect is unable to recognise this seated position (as per the current one), and yet I am forced to have it for the console to operate – this could well be a huge problem for me personally, and may well force me over to the dark side as is if the Kinect is required to enable the console to operate, and yet it doesn’t recognise me because of my sitting position, then the console could well be a non-starter (literally!).

Now I am concerned; I may indeed not be able to have the new console and yet it would have taken a lot for me to buy a PS4 over the new X-Box, but I may have my hand forced. Once the details are confirmed/released I would be really grateful if someone at OXM could look into this Kinect issue for me, in order to allay/confirm my fears. :?:
AllusiveTurtle 44

Postby hujiki » 20 Mar 2013, 13:39

i will be so upset if this happens. I Love my 360 but if this is true then i might be switching consoles. Yes over the years i have had many console wars with my buddies and it will be a pain for me to get a PS4, Please stop me from making this call and make the New Xbox Amazing... Not like all these leaks that make believe it to suck.

Point of Interest - The question is will MS have the Server Power to fulfill all the needs, EA messed up with Sim City and the servers overloaded and kidda messed up the fan base. Do you actually want that MS? I will give the New Xbox a try and if it works for me then well cant complain but if not, then You know the rest.

Make Me A Proud Xbox Gamer.
hujiki 28

Postby Spiderless » 20 Mar 2013, 13:48

It sounds like attention-grabbing bullshit to me.

Like squirrel said, it'll probably just relate to updates, a cloud feature that simply updates games automatically when the updates are released.

Rumours like this are started to grab headlines, and generate some controversy and interest. I seriously doubt MS are stupid enough to impose an always online feature. I'm fairly sure Ubisoft tried it with Assassins Creed on PC, after a huge backlash they relented and removed the 'always online' (its a singleplayer game for Pete's sake).
Spiderless 25

Postby msbhvn » 20 Mar 2013, 13:55

Spiderless wrote:I seriously doubt MS are stupid enough to impose an always online feature. I'm fairly sure Ubisoft tried it with Assassins Creed on PC, after a huge backlash they relented and removed the 'always online' (its a singleplayer game for Pete's sake).

EA has imposed an always online DRM with SimCity on PC, a single player game, and that's on top of their Origin DRM.
#SaveOXM
msbhvn 68

Postby Windowlicker79 » 20 Mar 2013, 14:12

I think the general consensus is always online for convenience (instant patch downloads and OS updates, automatic preorder downloads etc) is clearly a very good thing, but always online for piracy prevention even for single player games is a very bad thing.
The new Xbox really needs to be able to function off line. Not only for people without internet connections (who are admittedly in the minority) but also for when there are network problems. Last year someone crashed their car into the Virgin Media connection box at the end of my road. I had no internet, TV or phone line for over a week. It would be ridiculous if I was unable to use my Xbox during this time.
ಠ_ಠ
Windowlicker79 55

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 20 Mar 2013, 14:18

Enough with the posting of rumours, its getting pretty boring.
Johnbhoy69 54

Postby Plamsa wing » 20 Mar 2013, 15:19

For no I think I'll take this with a grain of salt, until we get something that doesn't include the words rumour, leak or maybe I rather hear it straight from the horses mouth.

Regardless I don't like the sound of always online. Call me old fashioned, but if I'm having a terrible day and I want to escape from the world for an hour or two, I don't want to be worrying if the internet is working or not.

Even then the internet isn't always stable, I don't want to be playing Fallout or any other choice single-player and then suddenly be forced off thanks to the internet going down. I'd rather my console crash sir!
The bitterns are doing it for me.
Plamsa wing 56

Postby Metalrodent » 20 Mar 2013, 15:28

things I'm currently dubious of:
All Durango consoles will ship with a "new high fidelity Kinect sensor, which will be required for the system to operate"

and the always online.

however happy to hear the controller is rumoured to be similar, not like that travesty of design the PS4's is
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 70

Postby vadersmyfather » 20 Mar 2013, 15:40

Sorry, but are they saying it always needs to be turned on or on Standby? My electricity bills are high enough and my Xbox can hardly stop itself from combusting after just an hours play as it is.
Last edited by vadersmyfather on 20 Mar 2013, 15:43, edited 1 time in total.
I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid it dseno't mttaer the oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer are in the rhgit pclae.
vadersmyfather 47

Next