to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Our Bioshock Infinite review - what do you want to know?

Your comments on our articles.

Log's exploring Columbia - give him directions

The next big game on our review chopping block is 2K Games and Bioshock Infinite, a whimsical, often brutal fantasy set on a floating, war-torn city in 1912. Bioshock Infinite! Where barbershop quartets croon their way through highly anachronistic pop melodies. Where half-mechanical men clobber fire-spewing anarchists. Where space-time itself is punctured by glimmering distortions, distortions that can be manipulated by leading lady Elizabeth to port over materials from alternate realities.... read more

Our Bioshock Infinite review - what do you want to know?

Postby Dowgle » 20 Mar 2013, 13:39

Is it a true story...?

In all seriousness though, do the moral choices have a significant bearing on the story/ gameplay?
Dowgle 31

Re: Our Bioshock Infinite review - what do you want to know?

Postby Ewan » 20 Mar 2013, 13:45

I want to know how immersive it is - do you feel like you are the character at all times or do you feel a little like you're watching someone else's story?
Ewan 1

Postby Gazisdaman » 20 Mar 2013, 14:05

I have never played bioshock (except for the 1st games demo) is this the game to get into the series?
Gazisdaman 35

Postby ItchyRash » 20 Mar 2013, 14:12

I'm happy with just knowing if it's worth buying. Other than that I kind of want to know as little as possible. I don't even want to know if there's a big twist. I don't want to expect anything or be waiting on anything. I think Bioshock was so amazing as I wasn't even aware there was a big twist I should be looking out for.

I would quite like another interactive review though
ItchyRash 42

Postby Metalrodent » 20 Mar 2013, 14:16

For me its a dead cert I'm gonna buy it anyway, so my question is does is it worth paying full price for? As in will it provide a decent long playthrough with scope for replayability and a longevous play life?
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 67

Postby Muppetman51 » 20 Mar 2013, 14:36

I'd like to know if anything will produce a similar reaction to the one I had to the Big Daddies. First time I fought one of them, I kept up a running commentary of high-pitched expletives as I burned through everything I had to kill it. It was one of the most satisfying enemies in games for a long time, tricky, different attack patterns and a proper sense of accomplishment. Anything similar?
You just shot the invisible swordsman!
Muppetman51 30

Postby ItchyRash » 20 Mar 2013, 15:17

Muppetman51 wrote:I'd like to know if anything will produce a similar reaction to the one I had to the Big Daddies. First time I fought one of them, I kept up a running commentary of high-pitched expletives as I burned through everything I had to kill it. It was one of the most satisfying enemies in games for a long time, tricky, different attack patterns and a proper sense of accomplishment. Anything similar?

I remember doing the exact same thing. It's also probably the only enemy I can remember facing where I learnt from each encounter and implemented new tactics. Maybe I do it all the time subconsciously but this was the first and probably only time I can remember doing it intentionally
ItchyRash 42

Postby FishyGinger » 20 Mar 2013, 15:44

Is it the opposite of bad?

Actually there was a preview on IGN that said some of the textures on the xbox version were blurry, is this the case? Some of them in the original bioshock were so as long as it isn't worse I don't care, just if we get textures popping up 10 seconds after you've looked at them it does take away some of the immersion.

Additional: Technical performance, slow down etc included with the above actual question.
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
FishyGinger 66

Postby OXM Log » 20 Mar 2013, 18:12

I'm not ignoring these - I'm just not sure when I'm supposed to be replying to them - as a lot of my replies will be quite reviewy, and the review embargo ain't here, yet.

As for the graphics, I'll reply with knowledge I gleaned from previews: there's a lovely, misty glow to the world at times, that's perfect for creating the religious, heavenly atmosphere. It's used for effect, at dramatic times, and definitely isn't there during combat.

But the world is lightly stylised, for sure - with an artistic smudge to to the design that feels completely deliberate, unlike the disconcerting blur of, say RAGE. Or even Dishonored's close-up artefacting on doors and fabrics. You'll notice a couple of better textures loading in as you approach, but the game is never rarely anything other than stunning to look at.

AN EMBARGO APPROACHES

In the first three hours that I played for the preview, naturally.

THE EMBARGO RETREATS, SCOWLING

(Of course, it's going to look better on a ten billion dollar hyper-computer. )
OXM Log
OXM Staff

Postby Ivaylo » 20 Mar 2013, 20:18

I want to know, how's the Xbox 360 version compared to the other platforms.
Ivaylo 9

Postby Professor Shoer » 20 Mar 2013, 21:29

I think the original Bioshock is one those titles that served to establish video games as an art-form in their own right, does Infinite push the artistic limits of the medium further or is it more of what we saw back in 2008?
Professor Shoer 2

Postby PonderingWalrus » 21 Mar 2013, 00:59

Which would be a better investment?

Bioshock Infinite or 20 of these Tesco cheesecakes?

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/ ... =266296967
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
PonderingWalrus 42

Postby Metalrodent » 21 Mar 2013, 01:22

MasterChiefJ117 wrote:
Professor Shoer wrote:I think the original Bioshock is one those titles that served to establish video games as an art-form in their own right, does Infinite push the artistic limits of the medium further or is it more of what we saw back in 2008?

NO it's just a video game ! :lol:

yeah and the Mona Lisa is just a painting, same way that The Beatles were just a band
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 67

Postby FishyGinger » 21 Mar 2013, 10:02

Have you really gone full mental or something, what's your problem masterchief?

And cheers Log, just wanted to know whether it was the usual "this version isn't as good as pc" type problems or whether it was actual problems
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
FishyGinger 66

Postby mariachi2000 » 21 Mar 2013, 10:09

Can we get rid of this clown...?
mariachi2000 37

Next