Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen - the Bitterblack Isle Diaries #

Your comments on our articles.

Ed takes a shot at Capcom's expanded edition

Dragon's Dogma has many fine qualities - bottomless class options, slick, varied combat and a world that's drenched in whimsy - but it could have done with a few more dungeons. Good news, wayfarers! The Bitterblack Isle area which accompanies this year's expanded Dark Arisen edition is basically one giant dungeon. Reached by speaking to a waif named Orla on the docks at Cassardis, it's a regular labyrinth, where mouldering statues glare at piles of disintegrating armour, lit by shafts of moonlight, and spectral voices talk of doom and destruction.... read more

Postby msbhvn » 21 Mar 2013, 20:26

you're accompanied by Pawns, which means you're effectively playing kindergarten teacher to a trio of clumsy, highly talkative kleptomaniacs.

Other than never shutting up and having the tendency to run off if they've done your current quest before, pawns can pretty much take care of themselves. It was quite rare that they actually died, but it would happen at the most inconvenient time possible, usually in a boss battle and nearly always the healing mage first leading to your party being wiped out.

If they haven't fixed it in the reissue, pawns may switch their inclination to Guardian without warning. This is especially bad if you're a Mage/Sorcerer with a Fighter/Warrior pawn, it means the pawn will stay close to you and draw enemies toward you. A merchant named Johnathan (the devs misspelled his name, not me) sells potions to change their inclination to something more useful, like Scather for Fighter/Warrior pawns. This was one of the things that annoyed us most, and it took a while to figure out how to fix it. Also, check your main pawn's inclination is right before sleeping at an Inn, so as not to upload an inferior version to the rift.
The new first law of the internet: For every action, there is an irrational and disproportionate social media overreaction.
msbhvn 69

Postby Bezza89 » 21 Mar 2013, 20:33

I've just spent a few minutes going through that dogma thread, it shot up so quick. 1000 posts in a week or something. I was watching Matt going through Dark Arisen on his new evil video gamer job thing [brandishes cross] and it said there's a new high def texture pack included. I can't wait to get back in the game, I think not playing it since june will be in my favour.
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
Bezza89 69

Re: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen - the Bitterblack Isle Diari

Postby msbhvn » 21 Mar 2013, 20:37

Bezza89 wrote:I was watching Matt going through Dark Arisen on his new evil video gamer job thing [brandishes cross] and it said there's a new high def texture pack included. I can't wait to get back in the game, I think not playing it since june will be in my favour.

Have they fixed the delayed texture loading, then? Because bigger textures would just make that even more noticeable. In fact, the engine as a whole was pretty bad, and will look worse after weeks of me playing silky smooth PC games. :(
The new first law of the internet: For every action, there is an irrational and disproportionate social media overreaction.
msbhvn 69

Postby SidTheSloth » 21 Mar 2013, 20:42

OXM ETboy wrote:You never leave a man behind, even when he's a bloody idiot.

Heh, so says someone who obviously never played Borderlands 2 with Plasma! :wink:

Anyone else thinking level 50 is staggeringly low considering how easy it is to surpass that in one playthrough? I was torn between starting again and continuing as i didn't want to lose the stuff i spent ages getting, but seems stupid to start it with a character over 60 levels higher than recommended... :| Guessing that's why Ed's been forced to take these second rate pawns out for a spin as ours would thwomp the dungeon by the sounds of it...

Is the entry point the only crossover with the main game Ed? Are there any changes to the main game too? Even a bit of a freshen up enemy location wise would be welcome! :)
(2 + 4 = Fish) / Sloth = Better
SidTheSloth 54

Postby msbhvn » 21 Mar 2013, 20:48

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilXl8I0rLHQ

That's Matt's new Dark Arisen video, it answers some of your questions, Sid.
msbhvn 69

Postby OXM ETboy » 21 Mar 2013, 21:08

I've been lumbered with these Pawns because the preview build isn't online-worthy. As regards difficulty, I'll ask Capcom if the Dark Arisen stuff scales to player level. Not sure about the Guardian behaviour stuff, but will experiment...

/takes notes
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby SidTheSloth » 21 Mar 2013, 21:47

Cheers Ed, difficulty thing has me a little perplexed... If needs must i'll start again, not exactly life ending, but it'll mean trekking around that goddam map on foot once again!

I've got no idea how long the expansion is meant to be, and i'm beginning to hate this new trend that suggests hours=quality because that is often not the case (Far Cry 3 for example is spoilt by going on for too long!?), but by the same token that the base game could've done with a few extra dungeons, if too long does the expansion not run the risk of being too dungeon-y? :|

I'm curious but at the same time trying not to read too much about it. A lot of the screens i've seen show many different parts of the dungeon, but being trapped underground can be pretty dismal after a time, any else get Orzammar fatigue in origins for example?

The bit msb mentions about guardian pawns too is very accurate and incredibly frustrating. Trying to find a random pawn you wanted who wasn't a guardian became a real pain in the arse as everyone was suffering from it and most didn't realise. Something i read suggested telling your pawns to come and help caused it to happen but upon learning that i never did it again yet still my warrior kept reverting after an hour or two.
(2 + 4 = Fish) / Sloth = Better
SidTheSloth 54

Postby Plamsa wing » 21 Mar 2013, 22:18

I actually wonder how the save transfer will work. I'd like to not have to start from scratch, yet I don't want the new Dark Arisen content being a cake walk.

As of now I'm level 130, even at level 80 I was pretty much killing everything in one or two hits, apart from the Everfall.

SidTheSloth wrote:Heh, so says someone who obviously never played Borderlands 2 with Plasma! :wink:

How dare you sir!

SidTheSloth wrote:A lot of the screens i've seen show many different parts of the dungeon, but being trapped underground can be pretty dismal after a time, any else get Orzammar fatigue in origins for example?

I'd rather have another Orzammar than another Fade.
I spilled flour in my uncle's kitchen, now I've got a croissant.
Plamsa wing 57

Postby Bezza89 » 21 Mar 2013, 23:48

I think Orzamars problem was similarity rather than being underground - the underground in Awakening is pretty good imo. I loved the fade, really eerie place.
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
Bezza89 69

Postby fracturedrich » 22 Mar 2013, 12:42

I bought this day 1 and loved it but after 2 playthroughs i cashed in,is the new expansion pack long enough to warrant another buy of the same game.
fracturedrich 48

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 22 Mar 2013, 14:05

Was meaning to get this game but never got round to it. Been looking forward to grabbing this new edition for a while now.
Johnbhoy69 55

Postby kronk10 » 22 Mar 2013, 14:27

Had to pre-order this as i broke my old disk and i am really looking forward to getting back into the dragons dogma world i actually enjoyed playing dragons dogma more than skyrim. And this new content seems to be far better than most dlc i have seen for a long time !
kronk10 44

Postby JDLot » 25 Mar 2013, 18:03

Your main pawns inclination changes over time to match that of secondary pawns, regardless of how you play. In conjunction, most of the pawns you find randomly in the rift will have inclinations similar to your main pawn.

(main pawn scather+utlitarian, secondary pawn scather+guardian, secondary pawn medicant+utilitarian) pawns inclination wont change unless you force it with command buttons.

(main pawn scather+utilitarian, secondary pawn scather+guardian, secondary pawn medicant+guardian) main pawn will most likely change to scather+guardian with in an hour.
JDLot 2

Postby fracturedrich » 17 Apr 2013, 21:56

can someone please tell me if there are going to be any new achievements with this as i can not find a scrap of information anywhere,so i would be grateful to anyone who could share a bit of light on this,i would take rumour,fact or even a straight up lie.
fracturedrich 48

Postby Metalrodent » 17 Apr 2013, 22:02

fracturedrich wrote:or even a straight up lie.

ok, I can tell you with correct knowledge that there will be new achivements :P
People get confused when a sentence doesn't end the way they potato.

Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 72

Next