to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Mass Effect 4 producer reveals new BioWare IP, promises "new

Your comments on our articles.

"We are developing a whole new universe," says Hudson

I'd assume the goodly Casey Hudson isn't just talking about a spaceship when he says "new way for you to explore", though a new kind of spaceship is probably in the offing. More likely, he's talking about some sort of... functionality. Is it the smartphone kind, or the motion control kind, or the cloud-based kind? Only time will tell. Get a move on, time.... read more

Mass Effect 4 producer reveals new BioWare IP, promises "new

Postby Waffles2541 » 25 Mar 2013, 11:27

Stop teasing us Casey. Are you "rebooting" or creating a "sequel" or "prequel" or are you making an entirely new fictional universe for us to explore. If they are redoing it from the ground up i reckon its either going to be set in the distant past or more likely the far off future of the Mass Effect universe. The amount of things they could change if they set in a few centuries after the Mass Effect trilogy, I am going to explode from the anticipation!!!
I had fun once, it was awful.
Waffles2541 40

Re: Mass Effect 4 producer reveals new BioWare IP, promises

Postby Bezza89 » 25 Mar 2013, 11:45

Waffles2541 wrote:Stop teasing us Casey. Are you "rebooting" or creating a "sequel" or "prequel" or are you making an entirely new fictional universe for us to explore. If they are redoing it from the ground up i reckon its either going to be set in the distant past or more likely the far off future of the Mass Effect universe. The amount of things they could change if they set in a few centuries after the Mass Effect trilogy, I am going to explode from the anticipation!!!

Theyre not rebooting it, it's set in the same universe, it isn't a sequel either, they have said they want to distance themselves from making it ME4. However this doesn't mean it can't be set after ME3, but it is very doubtful.

I'd say it was a prequel or something that happens concurrently with the trilogy, if a prequel I don't think it would be with the trilogy characters - maybe one or two, I am hoping for it being set as humanity are just being brought into the alien contact, you could have a prologue around the first contact war and then experience humanity discovering everything for the first time, colonisation etc.

If not that then no humans at all, go way earlier and be an alien in a dragon age style story.

(Also, this new IP should be good - it will have no moaning about lack of features from previous games at least).
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
Bezza89 68

Postby Metalrodent » 25 Mar 2013, 11:51

Bezza89 wrote:(Also, this new IP should be good - it will have no moaning about lack of features from previous games at least).

Not true, no matter how good this new IP is it will forever be compared to the Mass Effect series
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Postby FishyGinger » 25 Mar 2013, 11:58

Metalrodent wrote:
Bezza89 wrote:(Also, this new IP should be good - it will have no moaning about lack of features from previous games at least).

Not true, no matter how good this new IP is will forever be compared to the Mass Effect series

True. And yet mass effect wasn't compared to kotor. I think it's the minority who will keep doggedly bringing it up, especially the 'don't know why so many people went so mental' ending to ME3.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 69

Postby Bezza89 » 25 Mar 2013, 12:01

Metalrodent wrote:

Not true, no matter how good this new IP is will forever be compared to the Mass Effect series

Not true, it might be about lord Fondlington of llandudno, detective inspector who keeps an unusual amount of cats beneathe his hammock as he investigates the most troubling mystery of all; where did Miss Hamperhamshampam disappear to?

Gameplay involves a psychotic duck gun, and monkey butlers. And sharks.

Point is, unless it's another sci-fi game it shouldn't be, and unless it's another swords and sorcery one it wont be compared with dragon age or jade empire, but even if it is compared to these, it is impossible to moan about the lack of planet exploring or something else in the new game as it would never be a feature that has been 'taken away'.
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
Bezza89 68

Postby FishyGinger » 25 Mar 2013, 12:14

Bezza89 wrote:
Not true, it might be about lord Fondlington of llandudno, detective inspector who keeps an unusual amount of cats beneathe his hammock as he investigates the most troubling mystery of all; where did Miss Hamperhamshampam disappear to?

Gameplay involves a psychotic duck gun, and monkey butlers. And sharks.

Point is, unless it's another sci-fi game it shouldn't be, and unless it's another swords and sorcery one it wont be compared with dragon age or jade empire, but even if it is compared to these, it is impossible to moan about the lack of planet exploring or something else in the new game as it would never be a feature that has been 'taken away'.

I don't think I've ever been more proud of you. Not a single hooker was mentioned.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 69

Postby SilentDark » 25 Mar 2013, 15:36

Prequels suck, prequels inherently lack drama because you know what comes next. Look at the star wars prequels and Star Trek Enterprise.

I vote for an open universe style game, something like GTA or Elder Scrolls but on a much larger scale, sign up with law enforcement and patrol trade routes, investigate homicides on an alien world, or be a bounty hunter, track down marks for money. On the flip side you could join a criminal syndicate, be an enforcer or hitman shaking down businesses or taking out people who get in the syndicate's way.

You could also do a littlest hobo run, travelling across the galaxy, no real purpose in mind, making peoples lives better and then moving on. Or how about taking over the universe, build a list of contacts and resources as in ME3 but instead of going to war you can use these resources to place key people in positions of power and take over the universe either by sheer brute force or by getting yourself voted as supreme ruler ala Star Wars.
You know, Hitler wasn't all bad, after all, he did kill Hitler.
SilentDark 65

Postby FishyGinger » 25 Mar 2013, 15:44

SilentDark wrote:Prequels suck, prequels inherently lack drama because you know what comes next. Look at the star wars prequels and Star Trek Enterprise.

Halo reach, any world war 2 game or any war game/film based around a war, bioshock infinite is a prequel of sorts isn't it?

It's about the journey, not the ending.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 69

Postby Plamsa wing » 25 Mar 2013, 18:37

Whatever they do for future Mass Effect games, I hope they bring back some actual exploration. I thought they got the controls just right with the Hammerhead, it's a shame it wasn't in ME 3, it could have made for some good missions.

Regardless, I still want an open-world RPG set before Mass Effect 1, with Origin style origins for each race. Done right it good be pretty amazing.

Oh and some proper non-fetch side missions. :wink:
I've bitten off more than I can choux.
Plamsa wing 56

Postby Miss Sam » 26 Mar 2013, 22:45

To be honest, anything Casey Hudson, Mac Walters, or Mike Gamble say from this point on can be taken with a grain of salt after all of the BLATANT lies they told regarding Mass Effect 3. Can't trust Bioware anymore, sad as that is to admit.
Miss Sam 2

Postby Insaneyokel » 27 Mar 2013, 08:45

I think maybe they could look at the protheans as their empire encompassed many worlds and it would give maybe a new slant on things, or they could focus on one of the earlier races. I just want there to be open exploration, a more RPG element that waned slightly in ME3 in my opinion, I agree with the sentiments that a skyrim experience might be the way to go, though no security people saying they were explorers like me before they took a laser to the knee!
Twitter: @RMRedmanAuthor
Gamertag: RONA79
Insaneyokel 47