Microsoft: "in many ways the next gen is already here"

Your comments on our articles.

Xbox 360 "has legs that will carry it well into the future"

Quick, check under your TV. Has Microsoft somehow managed to announce, release and sell the next generation Xbox without actually bringing it to anybody's conscious attention? Oh wait, seems the key part of "in many ways the next gen is already here" is the "in many ways" part. You see, according to principal Xbox program manager Pete Isensee, we don't even need another Xbox - the existing one will be a success for years to come, and hey did you hear about this Kinect thing? Because it's practically a next generation console in itself.... read more

Microsoft: "in many ways the next gen is already here"

Postby Bezza89 » 25 Mar 2013, 11:28

He says a controller only uses 50 bytes or whatever? I'd rather have more buttons taking up 30,000 less processing power then :wink:

Seriously kinect is pretty tezzjaggs. There are just no benefits to it. At all. Some might comment that the voice options are great, however I will point you in the direction of some 360 ubisoft games, Rainbow Six, Endwar and I'm sure some more have great voice commands through the headset, that thing that doesn't cost £100 and is utterly useless in all aspects due to no one doing anything with it.

I know kinect 2.0 will be bunged in with Xbox Gert and I know that may persuade them [developers] that there is a userbase there (apparently over 20 million isn't good enough) and we may see something good but we said that after the release pointing to all early games generally being rubbish and we'll get new ones soon... eugh, I despair with it.

Also, next gen xbox is here, did you know sniper ghost warrior 2 is out on xbox 3 right now? Just go to asda. :wink:
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
Bezza89 69

Re: Microsoft:

Postby vadersmyfather » 25 Mar 2013, 11:39

Bezza89 wrote:Seriously kinect is pretty tezzjaggs. There are just no benefits to it. At all. Some might comment that the voice options are great

I've got Kinect. Played it for a bit, had a good laugh, but then got fed up of re-arranging the furniture. Hopefully whatever comes next will address this...somehow.
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
vadersmyfather 50

Postby terry cheyne » 25 Mar 2013, 11:59

[quote="Bezza89"]Seriously kinect is pretty tezzjaggs. There are just no benefits to it. At all. Some might comment that the voice options are great

you forgot Skyrim shouting FUS RO DAH at the T.V scaring the Neighbours never gets dull
plus you can close the tray by ordering it like a slave no more pressing a button like a animal :lol:
just a pitty crimson dragon isn't out yet and my husky likes to wack it off the table with his paw
terry cheyne 47

Postby Mendes » 25 Mar 2013, 12:48

Bezza89 wrote:Seriously kinect is pretty tezzjaggs.

LOL! That's a name I ain't seen round these parts in a while.
Mendes 35

Postby OXM Jonty » 25 Mar 2013, 13:11

BREAKING: Microsoft reveals that the next generation "has been inside us all along".
Editor

Email: jon.hicks@futurenet.com
Xbox Live: OXM Jonty
OXM Jonty
OXM Staff

Postby Thos. » 25 Mar 2013, 13:52

Call me old fashioned, but I only buy a system when there's something on it that I want to play. I'm still waiting to buy a Kinect.

How can Microsoft be so myopic as to keep insisting that a dead peripheral is going to be at the core of their next system? I'm dumbfounded and disappointed, but also pleased that I can write off the next Xbox from what could have potentially been a difficult choice of systems.
Thos. 46

Postby OXM Jonty » 25 Mar 2013, 14:03

Thos. wrote:How can Microsoft be so myopic as to keep insisting that a dead peripheral is going to be at the core of their next system? I'm dumbfounded and disappointed, but also pleased that I can write off the next Xbox from what could have potentially been a difficult choice of systems.

It's important to note that Microsoft isn't saying anything about the next Xbox yet. Because it doesn't exist. Interviews like this one are just going to be a lot of flannel about the (considerable) success of the Xbox 360 until they can go "ta-da! There's a new Xbox and it's going to BLOW YOUR MIND."

I feel sorry for the Microsoft guys at GDC, to be honest. Everybody's going to be talking about PS4 and they'll have nothing but tight smiles and awkward laughter.
Editor

OXM Jonty
OXM Staff

Postby Bonescrubs » 25 Mar 2013, 14:06

I have a pile of games I still want to play - past, present and future. My boys love Minecraft and their Lego games. Bring on the new console, but my 360 is going nowhere. Still lots of life left in this generation.
Bonescrubs 12

Postby Grummy » 25 Mar 2013, 15:21

I've already sold my kinect. It's a great piece of kit and a great idea with some fantastic potential, but right now it doesn't do enough. Or more to the point it isn't utilized efficiently. The kinect itself is not a problem, it's how limited its use in mainstream games has been that is. Take FIFA 13, the game can hear you swear and the game can react to that. It's a cool feature, but gets irritating as it also picks up normal speech and the commentary from the game and mistakes it for swearing or tactical changes. A nice idea and implementation that doesn't quite work. Skyrim, they're also nice ideas, but limited to quick manipulation of the menus and using dragon shouts, which is cool at first but makes you feel a complete berk very quickly.

All the use of kinect in mainstream games is small, pointless, tacked on stuff that doesn't mean anything. A lot of that is simply because no developer is willing to add in content and control abilities that are kinect only (kinect specific games notwithstanding) there are no spells or dragon shouts in Skyrim that can only be used with kinect for example and that is understandable, what developer would want to screw over is fans by limiting certain content based on what peripheral they have?

The kinect can be a great addition to the gaming landscape and I hope next gen games will cater for it more and that MS continue to improve the breadth of the kinects abilities so more mainstream games have the option to utilize it in a greater fashion.
One. Warrior. Nation.

"The PS4 reminds me of a Kit-Kat, and I like Kit-Kats" as spoken by the Hetty.
Grummy 67
OXM Moderator

Postby comabob » 25 Mar 2013, 18:37

I lost interest in Kinect when it was annonced as Kinect.

When it was Project Natal and had Milo & Kate showcased - i was impressed.

OFF TOPIC

I have a PS3 Move Wand thingy and it works perfectly as a light gun (Time Crisis, House of Dead etc) - correct me if wrong but the 360 has never had any light gun peripherals has it?
"The boy said he's from hell. Maybe that's where we're going..."
comabob 52

Postby OXM Jonty » 25 Mar 2013, 21:11

comabob wrote:I have a PS3 Move Wand thingy and it works perfectly as a light gun (Time Crisis, House of Dead etc) - correct me if wrong but the 360 has never had any light gun peripherals has it?

Cabela's is the only one I know of: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cabelas-Game-Hu ... B0077KQ40Q.

Activision refuses to send them out for review so I've no idea if it works - we never have the time to go out and buy it.
Editor

OXM Jonty
OXM Staff

Xbox Live

Postby evanlyboy » 25 Mar 2013, 21:29

I hope they don't have to close down the 360 version of Xbox live when the new Xbox comes out, that would suck
evanlyboy 7

Postby jimbosolo » 26 Mar 2013, 15:42

MasterChiefJ117 wrote:

Also as an old school gamer I too remember the great games of Rare's past ...........Golden Eye, Perfect Dark 1 and 2, even the Xbox 360 launch games of Perfect Dark zero and Kameo. So I can understand someone's frustration at them making Kinect sports 3 or Avatars for the dashboard especially at a time when quality Xbox exclusives seem to be getting fewer and fewer. :cry:

Perfect dark 2 doesnt exist, only Perfect Dark Zero and Perfect Dark exist
jimbosolo 15

Re: Xbox Live

Postby CunningSmile » 26 Mar 2013, 16:00

evanlyboy wrote:I hope they don't have to close down the 360 version of Xbox live when the new Xbox comes out, that would suck

Judging by the huge overlap between the original Xbox and the 360 I don't think you'll have to worry, at least not for a few years.
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 74
OXM Moderator