to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

EEDAR: publishers are deserting online multiplayer on Xbox 3

Your comments on our articles.

25% fewer US releases support online today than in 2006, reveals report

"Every game nowadays has multiplayer crowbarred into it," goes a popular and, as it turns out, inaccurate refrain. According to the latest Penny Arcade Report, the number of Xbox 360 and PS3 releases in the US that support either online multiplayer, local multiplayer or both has dropped sharply since 2006, or roundabouts the birth of the current hardware generation.... read more

Postby Bezza89 » 25 Mar 2013, 17:34

Fewer titles or less of a percentage of titles? Without the numbers the data is useless, it might be 67% of 100 games, now only 42% of 200 games (84 titles if you're mathematically challenged).

The only thing you can get from this is that our games are seemingly more diverse.
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
Bezza89 68

Postby squirrelofDoom » 25 Mar 2013, 17:37

Bit misleading headline there. I thought it was just the xbox, but its consoles in general. It's true that there's no need for multiplayer in every game. Maybe developers are coming round to this way of thinking, which is a good thing.
squirrelofDoom 26

Re: EEDAR: publishers are deserting online multiplayer on Xb

Postby Metalrodent » 25 Mar 2013, 17:45

New rules should be games can have multiplayer, as long as they dont take budget and time away from the main campaign and dont have achievements that become impossible once the servers become ghost towns (looking at you most smaller budget shooters)
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Postby OXM ETboy » 25 Mar 2013, 17:47

Fair point about the headline - I left out PS3 to make it more site-appropriate, but this sends the wrong message. As regards the point about percentages vs total counts, it's true that the EEDAR figures only give a partial picture and I'm searching around for corroborating data.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Muppetman51 » 25 Mar 2013, 22:52

Does this really matter though? For games that either want to offer multiplayer to be competitive or feel they have to be that competitive to justify release regardless of whether they should have multiplayer or not, there's already a critical mass that is driving its inclusion.

If it turns out that the headline as is is correct, then surely it means that there can finally be a bit of breathing room for everyone, and won't that be a good thing? Instead of the industry throwing itself into multiplayer and pushing everyone into that critical mass without thinking, it'll be okay to say "look, we're not doing multiplayer for whatever reason(s). That doesn't mean to say we're never going to do it as a studio ever again but it won't be until we're sure it's necessary/ we can do it well and it won't be on this release."

If nothing else maybe then maybe there'll be a bit more diversity, which should be a good thing.
Excuse me sir, but the pigs have refused to find any more truffles until you leave!
Muppetman51 40

Postby Rugdawg09 » 26 Mar 2013, 16:43

Multiplayer should only be added to a game if there is a good reason for it. As I played though The Walking Dead all I could think about is why does this not have a co-op mode? It would of made a pretty standard game a little bit more fun, but on the other side of the coin after trying Bioshock 2's MP, I was thinking why is this here? The game was great and this is just a bit bland.
Rugdawg09 16