to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

First Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag gameplay trailer makes

Your comments on our articles.

Is there no end to the nautical punning? Not just yet.

Ubisoft has released the first footage of Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag in action, revealing ships buffeted by monstrous waves and tropical islands prowled by belligerent hoodies. Watch it below.... read more

First Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag gameplay trailer makes

Postby Metalrodent » 25 Mar 2013, 18:23

looks fairly interesting, and undeniably lovely - could have done without the voiceover though :lol:

Also for some reason I want the option to help the redcoats, maybe its after the whole PotC thing, AC 3 and other stuff that I feel I should be allowed to help my own country :mrgreen:
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 70

Re: First Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag gameplay trailer ma

Postby Gazisdaman » 25 Mar 2013, 18:30

Metalrodent wrote:Also for some reason I want the option to help the redcoats, maybe its after the whole PotC thing, AC 3 and other stuff that I feel I should be allowed to help my own country :mrgreen:

That would imply that the British were anything other than evil tyrannical bastards and that would undermine the entire principle of America and we can't have that now can we? :roll:
Gazisdaman 35

Postby BlackhawkTenan » 25 Mar 2013, 19:28

I can't help thinking that this should be Assassins Creed 3: Black Flag, or Assassins Creed: Black Flag. Seems more like a Brotherhood that a full blown sequel.
BlackhawkTenan 29

Postby ChillieBonBon » 25 Mar 2013, 20:14

Only recently got AC3 and ,so far, love the free running across the trees, rocks etc. I'd love to see what it would be like in this as there are more jungle type natural environments. Also, it'll be nice to see some interesting structures after the repetitive block houses that dominate number three at the moment.

I haven't said anything about the ship battles because I still haven't gotten onto that yet. By the looks of things (not to mention everyone's opinion) they seem amazing so I guess that's one thing to look forward to! :)
If a cluttered desk is the sign of of a cluttered mind, what is an empty desk a sign of?
ChillieBonBon 24

Postby FishyGinger » 25 Mar 2013, 20:46

Gazisdaman wrote:
Metalrodent wrote:Also for some reason I want the option to help the redcoats, maybe its after the whole PotC thing, AC 3 and other stuff that I feel I should be allowed to help my own country :mrgreen:

That would imply that the British were anything other than evil tyrannical bastards and that would undermine the entire principle of America and we can't have that now can we? :roll:

How do you think russians feel, or space aliens? They're always being exterminated.

This looks good but I'll only be tempted if I get to kill every single whale in existence.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 69

Postby PaladinRonin » 25 Mar 2013, 21:30

I really look forward to this and I'm glad it's going to be on the current gen of Xbox as well.

Gazisdaman wrote:

Yeah, ACIII was annoying pro-American, though they did redeem themselves with how they showed Washinton, and possibilty, the DLC.
"I am justice incarnate: Brought to this world by forces beyond your comprehension. A cleansing storm to sweep across the land and purge it of your foul presence. I am Dust."
PaladinRonin 32

Postby Muppetman51 » 25 Mar 2013, 22:35

Looks impressive, I like the idea of being able to significantly improve the ship. Made it through AC3 without any of the ship upgrades and never felt like I was hampered or at a significant disadvantage. If it becomes more integral that could be a lot of fun.

Plus, if the voice-over of doom is serious about challenging my ingenuity, some tombs, decent animus puzzles and tightly paced plot might stop my brain from wandering out on me when I play it. For sequences 4-9 of AC3 it was trying very hard to stay with it but failed. Miserably. Possibly because I was forced to do so many non assassin things.

Say what you like about AC and repetition, but isn't that exactly what an assassin would do? Isn't it what you're encouraged to do in a less obvious way with Hitman? Explore your surrounding to gain every advantage you can, meticulously prepare, strike and leave before anyone knows anything is wrong? It seems like since AC2 well choreographed death has been relegated further and further away from the main premise of the game in favour of some decidedly unnecessary distractions.

As for anti-Brit bias, I humbly submit Sean Hastings as the main offender that needs to be dealt with first. Why oh why couldn't you kill him a the end of Brotherhood?

Also the US spellings on this forum's spell checker. Centre not center! Favour not favor!
I like big BUTS and I cannot lie. Ha!
Muppetman51 36

Postby Tug » 26 Mar 2013, 01:45

Only one pun this time? D:
Tug 27

Postby DonkeyWaffles » 26 Mar 2013, 12:16

FishyGinger wrote:How do you think russians feel, or space aliens? They're always being exterminated.

This looks good but I'll only be tempted if I get to kill every single whale in existence.

I hope they include special hunting missions so I can kill Moby Dick :D
DonkeyWaffles 34

Postby CunningSmile » 26 Mar 2013, 13:04

Metalrodent wrote:looks fairly interesting, and undeniably lovely - could have done without the voiceover though :lol:

Also for some reason I want the option to help the redcoats, maybe its after the whole PotC thing, AC 3 and other stuff that I feel I should be allowed to help my own country :mrgreen:

I'm pretty certain that Edward Kenway is a brit isn't he?
Confirmation Bias is a bad thing, I've read a book that agreed with me about that
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Postby Metalrodent » 26 Mar 2013, 13:19

CunningSmile wrote:
Metalrodent wrote:looks fairly interesting, and undeniably lovely - could have done without the voiceover though :lol:

He is yes, but was refering to it being another thing about that 'nasty ol' brit empire' which always seems to be a one dimensional evil force to be slaughtered in most media
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 70

Postby Gazisdaman » 26 Mar 2013, 13:20

CunningSmile wrote:

So was Blackbeard, that didn't stop them from killing him.
Gazisdaman 35

Postby CunningSmile » 26 Mar 2013, 14:16

My arguement was just that it can't be entirely one sided as it's a Brit fighting other Brits (and Spaniards as well, not forgetting the mottley assortment of mercenaries and ne'er do wells that make up the average pirate crew)

As for the British Empire being the bad guys, we were the most dominant power on the globe for over 300 years. It sort of makes them the bad guys purely because most games are about the lone under dog battling the powers that be, and we were the powers that be for a very long time.
Confirmation Bias is a bad thing, I've read a book that agreed with me about that
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Postby Gazisdaman » 26 Mar 2013, 14:49

CunningSmile wrote:My arguement was just that it can't be entirely one sided as it's a Brit fighting other Brits (and Spaniards as well, not forgetting the mottley assortment of mercenaries and ne'er do wells that make up the average pirate crew)

As for the British Empire being the bad guys, we were the most dominant power on the globe for over 300 years. It sort of makes them the bad guys purely because most games are about the lone under dog battling the powers that be, and we were the powers that be for a very long time.

Actually it's more like 100 years between 1815-1914 and also are you forgetting how the USA is portrayed in most games despite being the most powerful country on earth for the best part of the last 70 years.
Gazisdaman 35

Postby CunningSmile » 26 Mar 2013, 15:03

Gazisdaman wrote:
CunningSmile wrote:My arguement was just that it can't be entirely one sided as it's a Brit fighting other Brits (and Spaniards as well, not forgetting the mottley assortment of mercenaries and ne'er do wells that make up the average pirate crew)

Actually it's more like 100 years between 1815-1914 and also are you forgetting how the USA is portrayed in most games despite being the most powerful country on earth for the best part of the last 70 years.

Where are you getting 1815 from? We established our first foothold in India in 1612 and they were given independence in 1947 and that wasn't even the first part of the Empire. This game is set in 1713 so even that is 103 years before your time frame.

And America is the one producing the bulk of the media portraying the US. Read Kipling sometime or any of the Empire era British writers, the British Empire was getting great press whilst it was going, it's only afterwards it becomes the 'bad guy' Come back after the US is no longer top dog and see how they're described then (especially if, as with the British Empire, their replacement is someone who has a bit of a bone to pick)
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Next