to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct

Your comments on our articles.

There's no kindness in letting this live

One good thing I will say about Survival Instinct. There are times, when you're creeping around the dimly lit rooms, when you feel the chill of a survival atmosphere. Ammo is scarce, and a tactic of last resort - firing a shotgun - will alert Walkers in a huge radius to your presence. So for much of the time, it's you, a darkened room, an unseen groaning threat, and a hunting knife. Once or twice, that atmosphere works. And... that's the one good thing out of the way.... read more

The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct

Postby Gazisdaman » 27 Mar 2013, 17:21

I think 3 is much to high of a score for this game.
Gazisdaman 35

Re: The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct

Postby Bezza89 » 27 Mar 2013, 17:24

Gazisdaman wrote:I think 3 is much to high of a score for this game.

It's not though is it, people moan about games getting 7s, oh I'm not buying this 7/10 game, I can't form my own opinions, a 3/10 suggests it's rubbish, it has content, it lasts an amount of time, don't buy it.
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
Bezza89 68

Postby Metalrodent » 27 Mar 2013, 17:28

how about a comp to win the review copy? I'm sure some of us could do with a new doorstop or gamebox
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Postby ItchyRash » 27 Mar 2013, 17:29

Deep down they must have known this was going to be awful. And seeing Telltales's Walking Dead game garner such positive press must have sucked for them, knowing that their efforts had been trumped. I'll stick with L4D for my FPS zombie action
ItchyRash 43

Postby fracturedrich » 27 Mar 2013, 18:01

You might have got away with this years ago,not anymore.The warning bells were ringing from the start,no reviews even on the day of release is usually a dead give away.Ime not one of them that laughs when a game bombs like this,and to be honest i really wanted this to be good,even ok would have got me to get it i love the walking dead and it screams video game.I for one will never play it and ive spent hours of my time this week convincing others not to buy it.Our zombie thrills are coming soon enough with state of decay and last of us,and for now the walking dead is telltale and tv only.I hope that microsoft really run with the former and make sod a game for this gen and next.
fracturedrich 47

Postby Grummy » 28 Mar 2013, 09:21

fracturedrich wrote:You might have got away with this years ago,not anymore.The warning bells were ringing from the start,no reviews even on the day of release is usually a dead give away.Ime not one of them that laughs when a game bombs like this,and to be honest i really wanted this to be good,even ok would have got me to get it i love the walking dead and it screams video game.I for one will never play it and ive spent hours of my time this week convincing others not to buy it.Our zombie thrills are coming soon enough with state of decay and last of us,and for now the walking dead is telltale and tv only.I hope that microsoft really run with the former and make sod a game for this gen and next.

sod a game? Is that like deviant whack-a-mole?

Also, booooo for no build your own review. Those things are a masterpiece from that brilliant mind of the myth, the legend that is El Loggo.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 67
OXM Moderator

Postby fracturedrich » 28 Mar 2013, 12:57

sod a game? Is that like deviant whack-a-mole? No,it was just my lazy arsed attempt at saying state of decay for short,can you come up with something better grummy ya sarcastic S.O.A.B.I think thats a car or maybe something you are if you have not a a drinkIs it better to say it like S.O.D. instead of just sod.
fracturedrich 47

Postby bud harvest » 28 Mar 2013, 16:13

"Daryl and Merle in a game, what could be beter than that"? - well, almost everything under the sun actually, I am finished with 'Cashdivision' cash grabbers.

This game is ugly, weak, lame, lazy and an utter disaster, I have seen some wild broken games, but this really is something else, it is abysmal, that reflects in the 1.5 review score, search YouTube, you can find a hilarious plethora of zombie bug/glitches/extremely lazily/beta stage programmed zombies that no professional games engineer can be remotely proud of, well below average is an understatement.

The main menu looks like a 90's Commodore Amiga game and the one-on-one with a zombie is the most tediously monotonous minigame i have ever played, it is a poor, cheap, nasty and repetitive experience with zero fun and after the first several zombies in the game and is headbanging annoying because almost every one of the mini games is the same. After killing a handful of zombies you've feel that you have played enough of this nonsense. Boring boring boring

Everything about this stagnant disgracefully dysfunctional shambles is shockingly horrific , the story, combat, textures, models zombie AI (yes they mucked up zombie AI) pointless boring missions, one of them is saving a grandma's cat, I mean, come on, a cat? really? You got to be kidding, who wrote the script a 10 year old kid?

Even the most avid hardcore fans of the amazing TV series and graphic novels will only find the depths of despair with this, one of the most impersonally worst game this side of the millennium (and maybe even beyond) anyone for N64?

I could bare no more than 15 minutes before I really was pushed to switch the insulting dull and repetitive game off, and make no mistake, this game IS insulting in every way conceivable. Did anyone even remotely communicate with each other in the office during the development of any of this game ? It still needs one and a bit years development before it can be remotely called a final 'product'

Poor Telltale, grossly unfairly tarnished with this painfully rancid bile of a mess.

Games simply cannot be made quickly on this small scale these days and be called a full price release. Body authority regulations should stop this blatant cynical cash stealing (that is all this game amounts to).

The only thing going for the game is the voice over actors Norman Reedus and Michael Rooker which, unfortunately for them cannot be doing them much good, in fact, I would be pursuing for career damages with this absolute insulting rip-off pile of steaming sh!t.

STAY AWAY: Disgracefully abysmal 1.5/10

PROS:

-TV series stars voice acting

CONS:

-Everything else

Bottom Line: the whole game is like getting teeth pulled out
bud harvest 1

Postby spartan344507 » 01 Apr 2013, 17:32

[*]Stop giving this game such a bad rep. I love the game. I do admit it could be better but we can't do anything about it. If you don't like the game don't complain about it.
spartan344507 5

Postby mistergrimm » 01 Apr 2013, 18:52

spartan344507 wrote:[*]Stop giving this game such a bad rep. I love the game. I do admit it could be better but we can't do anything about it. If you don't like the game don't complain about it.

Stop giving this game such a good rep. I hate the game. I can't find a single way it couldn't have been better and Telltale could easily have done something about it. If you like the game don't praise it.
mistergrimm 33

Postby spartan344507 » 01 Apr 2013, 20:49

Nice job coming up with a response. If you want to complain, then go somewhere else. I am simply stating that i like the game and don't appreciate all the negative reviews.
spartan344507 5

Postby Dave2123 » 10 Apr 2013, 05:40

This game appears to be better than the other Walking Dead game, which definitely didn't deserve GOTY. This has better graphics, better gameplay, more stuff to do and is actually challenging. Point and click in between hundreds of cut scenes... and most people complain about them. Bear in mind I haven't actually played either game but i've seen many youtube videos and reviews, but take what i say with a pinch of salt.

Now to rebut this article. At the beginning of the article you were complaining that it was too easy to kill walkers (4 slashes with knife), but by the end you were saying it was too hard (guns aren't good). It was also pointed out that the killing of walkers isn't true to the comics/ films as disembodied heads stay alive, but i've just seen a walker on the other Walking Dead game get killed with one stab, and that game is praised. There's an absence of distinctiveness between walkers? I can agree somewhat with that, but it's no worse than any other game. You then go on to complain that you can be hurt by a walker if you're standing too close. That just sounds like the developers have put some realism into their game, although i know it can be annoying when you get killed by someone who appeared to be metres away. Complaining about valid tactics when you're surrounded leads me to think, along with your previous point, that you, like the majority of people, just want to play an easy game you don't have to think about, which is unfortunate for the rest of us who like a challenge, but are increasingly seeing games becoming shorter and easier, and focusing more on multiplayer. "the noise of a shot frequently causes more trouble than it's worth" again just sounds like realistic gameplay to me. Walkers should be attracted to the sound of a shotgun going off, although not reacting to the light of your torch should have been your really worry. "she must have eaten the hamper..." admittedly is a bit of an oversight but things like this happen in all games. (Also the ending to the third star wars movie wasn't that bad :) )

Just saying that, from what i've seen, i can't believe that the other game is so much better than this one. Yes the story is better but it's just like a film or maybe a television series :shock: that you make some decisions in and sometimes take control of. Not an immersive game like some nowadays. I suppose i could be wrong but i guess i won't know until i play them.
Dave2123 29

Postby Dave2123 » 10 Apr 2013, 15:10

To add on to my previous post that you probably can't be bothered to read - it is a bit long! :oops: I basically said that some of the reasons the writer gave for this being a bad game weren't entirely valid, depending on your views, and i formed counter arguments for them.

However, I've just read IGN's review of this game, which has convinced me to not buy the game ... because it's rubbish. In my previous post i wasn't trying to defend the game entirely, but point out that although it's a bad game the writer didn't express this and didn't give the right reasons. Go over to IGN and check out their review; it's convinced me to not buy it.
Dave2123 29

Postby CunningSmile » 10 Apr 2013, 15:18

Dave2123 wrote:To add on to my previous post that you probably can't be bothered to read - it is a bit long! :oops:

You've obviously not spent much time on these forums. You're practically mute compared to some :lol:
Do you ever look at some of the other people on the internet and wonder if you missed the sign that says "You must be this dumb to ride"?
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby oakleigh » 11 Apr 2013, 17:30

spartan344507 wrote:[*]Stop giving this game such a bad rep. I love the game. I do admit it could be better but we can't do anything about it. If you don't like the game don't complain about it.

I'm glad someone agrees with me
oakleigh 3

Next