to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

DICE's next gen Frostbite 3 engine unveiled - Mass Effect an

Your comments on our articles.

Battlefield 4 is the first game to use the technology

EA has shared first details of Frostbite 3, the next instalment of its proprietary game engine, at a Battlefield 4 event in Stockholm. The new tech is billed as an "evolution" of the Frostbite 2 engine employed by Battlefield 3, and is the result of collaboration between DICE and various other EA studios, including the developers of Dragon Age, Mass Effect and Need for Speed.... read more

DICE's next gen Frostbite 3 engine unveiled - Mass Effect an

Postby The Ferret Pants » 27 Mar 2013, 22:27

theres always a problem with games that are released to be visually amazing; any trailer thats released, i just look through thinking, yeah its pretty, but that could be better, and so could that, that was a bit weird etc.
also it detracts from the gameplay on show. luckily for us, bf4 has adopted the CoD level of innovation, which basically amounts to shoot brown men in a different place now.
so not overly enthused then.
The Ferret Pants 25

Re: DICE's next gen Frostbite 3 engine unveiled - Mass Effec

Postby Jackotiny » 28 Mar 2013, 09:53

I think that using this engine on games like Mass effect and Dragon age 3 will make them graphics much more enjoyable. I remember the first time I played Mass effect 3 and thought the graphics were amazing, the level of detail in the characters and the surrounding area was just brilliant, so to bring in an engine which will improve on that is a great idea.

For me the graphics play a big part of playing a game, they help make the story and conversations come alive, and just make the game more enjoyable. The only fear that comes with this new engine is that whilst they are focusing more on the graphics, less will be put into the story of the game or the game as a whole will be less due to the main focus being on graphics.
Jackotiny 13