to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain formally revealed - tra

Your comments on our articles.

MGS3-era Snake to return, lore buffs go crazy

I'll admit to feeling underwhelmed by the prospect of another Metal Gear Solid title, but credit where credit's due - the fifth game's first trailer, revealed at GDC 2013 in San Francisco yesterday, is gosh-darned impressive. It recycles and contextualises elements of the Phantom Pain trailer (now confirmed to be an MGS5 teaser, obvs) from last year, and has an utterly gorgeous soundtrack.... read more

Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain formally revealed - tra

Postby ItchyRash » 28 Mar 2013, 10:56

Looks impressive graphically but can't say I'm thrilled at spending the first 6 minutes sliding along on my belly. I've always enjoyed playing the MGS games but I just can't follow the story and the cut scenes are far far too long and drawn out. After recently playing the HD collection I spent most of my time skipping through all the dialogue. I couldn't help eventually getting really frustrated with the game and feeling like I was just playing one big Hideo Kojima vanity project. He's so sure of his amazingly intricate story that he assumes we all want to sit for an hour without actually playing the game. I'll follow this game but it's not something that jumps out at me
ItchyRash 43

Re: Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain formally revealed -

Postby terry cheyne » 28 Mar 2013, 12:29

Bruce Cambell :lol:
terry cheyne 47

Postby CunningSmile » 28 Mar 2013, 12:32

Sorry I had trouble reading this past the sound of Bezza celebrating :wink:
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby OXM ETboy » 28 Mar 2013, 12:41

True, where is our Man in Outer Heaven? I feel like he should be filling my eyes with insights.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby FishyGinger » 28 Mar 2013, 12:43

Probably in deep thought about pies, bacon sandwiches or prostitutes.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 70

Postby OXM ETboy » 28 Mar 2013, 12:51

He's a multi-tasker, that one.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 28 Mar 2013, 13:01

Is this really for current gen consoles?
I know Konami and Metal Gear games generally set the bar pretty high in terms of visuals but this looks like a next gen game.

Anyhoo, I'm excited. Just got the HD collection at the weekend. Should keep me going until this gets released.
Johnbhoy69 55

Postby Bezza89 » 28 Mar 2013, 17:07

I've been crying, out of joy, sadness and bacon overdose.

I watched the live stream, because I'm cool. The Fox engine looks like the best game engine I've seen, the lighting tricks are mind boggling, they showed the trailer from last year (the scarred face guy in the rain at night) and did it in daylight, it looked unbelievably good considering all they did was change the light settings, nothing else.

Aside from all this I can't believe Hayter isn't involved, I'm still hoping he is as there is no reason why not, they use a japanese guy for motion capture, Big Boss isn't as old as Old Snake for voice quality, and Bigg Boss isn't (spoilers) end of IV old.

And money wise? They've got Keifer Sutherland, that's Jack Bauer on the payroll, meh, as long as he sounds like Snake and isn't some famous douchebag like Jeremy Renner or Matt Damon... Nicholas Cage... oh God... I shouldn't give them ideas.

Johnbhoy69 wrote:Is this really for current gen consoles?
I know Konami and Metal Gear games generally set the bar pretty high in terms of visuals but this looks like a next gen game.

Anyhoo, I'm excited. Just got the HD collection at the weekend. Should keep me going until this gets released.

Yeah, wont be as nice looking but it's out for 360 and ps3 as well as ones that can actually run the engine they showed. MGS HD is a beast, MGS3 is the highlight, 2 is good and peace walker isn't as good.
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
Bezza89 69

Postby OXM ETboy » 28 Mar 2013, 17:10

The prophet speaks!

/falls to his knees
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby FishyGinger » 28 Mar 2013, 17:16

I'm just sad I was off the mark with the prostitutes. Unless that's why he was crying of course.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 70

Postby Bezza89 » 28 Mar 2013, 19:30

FishyGinger wrote:I'm just sad I was off the mark with the prostitutes. Unless that's why he was crying of course.

Prostitutes? Wherever did you get that idea? I would not stoop so low good sir. Now, if you'd have said hookers...

I cried for the departure of David Hayter of Snake, Watchmen and X-Men fame. And when I say cry, I mean complained in a forum.
Bezza89 69

Postby battfink83 » 28 Mar 2013, 21:52

peacewalker is great, just needs alot of time to get into, once your hooked its glorious. liking the fact that snakes been in a coma for 9 years, makes me think that the game will focus heavily on rebuilding the mother base and army, sounds amazing

loving this announcement, they could keep throwing mgs games out every week and i would lap them all up, the one game series that hasnt dumbed itself down to please the masses over the years, awesome news.

hope to god we can 'upgrade' snakes bionic hand, tin openers and cigar lighters would be amongst the options im sure.... ;).

i also saw the trailer redo in daytime, this fox engine sounds ace, looks like its going to cut production time down dramatically also, which hopefully means more games...
battfink83 53

Postby Bezza89 » 28 Mar 2013, 22:00

Isn't there a guy in peace walker who has a cigar lighter metal hand?

I need to play peace walker, I got up to the helicopter...
Bezza89 69

Postby battfink83 » 28 Mar 2013, 22:08

Bezza89 wrote:Isn't there a guy in peace walker who has a cigar lighter metal hand?

I need to play peace walker, I got up to the helicopter...

you know what, yep. zadornov has a very similar looking red hand, maybe snakes whips it out of his 'i pwned you and took a souvenir' collection and uses that specific one, after you catch zadornov for the last time, he launches it at you like a rocket, then it lands on the floor, two finger salouting you..... lol

so im guessing snake doesnt need a zipo for his cigars, and after every boss battle expect a 'V for victory' taunt option...... ha
battfink83 53