to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Gallery: Activision's new graphics tech will "bring current

Your comments on our articles.

Look everybody! Bloodshot eyeballs!

Do yourself a favour: stand up, approach the nearest adult human being, position your face about five centimetres from theirs and stare intently. Congratulations! You've just experienced the future of gaming visuals, as facilitated by Activision R&D and millions upon millions upon millions of dollars.... read more

Gallery: Activision's new graphics tech will "bring current

Postby Metalrodent » 28 Mar 2013, 13:24

the next gen looks terrifying
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 67

Re: Gallery: Activision's new graphics tech will "bring curr

Postby CunningSmile » 28 Mar 2013, 13:27

I think we are heading way to far into uncanny valley here. I read a psychology study once that Acti apparently haven't that people just can't cope with artificial life looking to realistic and just freak out. I think they need to dial back the quest for realism a few notches before all CoD fans develop phobias and stop playing...WHAT AM I SAYING!? Go for it Activision :lol:
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby FishyGinger » 28 Mar 2013, 13:40

Adding in the dismemberment cheat from jedi outcast...the daily mail could have a field day with this.

I can't see anything that realistic actually getting into or being noticeable in a game. Especially from activision.
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
FishyGinger 66

Postby Thos. » 28 Mar 2013, 13:41

Perfect for playing a game which consists of a single head.

If they showed this and said they are using .5% of the console's processing power, I'd be impressed. If they showed this on an army of 1000 adversaries, all on screen at once, with a similarly detailed landscape, I'd be impressed.

Otherwise its another in a long line of totally impractical tech demos showing nothing of any use to anybody.
Thos. 43

Postby Captain_Chao5 » 28 Mar 2013, 14:06

Thos. wrote:If they showed this and said they are using .5% of the console's processing power, I'd be impressed. If they showed this on an army of 1000 adversaries, all on screen at once, with a similarly detailed landscape, I'd be impressed.

Totally agree. It's one thing to show stunning detail on a single face, but how much of the console power would be used to process this? I'm still now committing to NextGen until a) the inflated launch price drops after a few months and b) the release day bugs are ironed out. After all this is M$. :wink:
"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" - Abraham Lincoln, 1864

GT = Captain Chao5 on Xbox 360 and Xbox One
Captain_Chao5 52

Postby ThatOneGamer » 29 Mar 2013, 10:44

They shouldn't make games to realistic in their graphics, I can see controversy popping up if we had to shoot people looking this real and plus I'd feel kinda un-comfortable too.
ThatOneGamer 17

Postby Drainwater » 30 Mar 2013, 22:57

CunningSmile wrote:I think we are heading way to far into uncanny valley here.

I have to agree. There will come a point where they can make a person look as real as possible but our brains will, of course, know it's fake. Maybe they'll even look too real. Then, our eyes and our brains will clash and we'll go in to paradox seizures. Or something.
Drainwater 34

Postby Notblad » 02 Apr 2013, 08:58

I would much rather see all that money spent on writers coming up with exciting new ideas for games and game plots. Current-gen graphics work just fine for telling good stories. It's the stories themselves that could use some updating from time to time.
Notblad 20