to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

DICE comes clean: What Battlefield 3 got wrong, and how Batt

Your comments on our articles.

On forgettable characters and restricting players

Does Battlefield really need a campaign? Going by Battlefield 3's story - a visually splendiferous, but disappointingly cramped and by-the-numbers experience - DICE would do better to chop the feature and redouble the focus on multiplayer. Studio general manager Karl Magnus Troedsson and Battlefield 4 game director Stefan Strandberg insist that they've learned from their blunders, however, and feel the next instalment will put any doubts about DICE's single player panache to rest.... read more

DICE comes clean: What Battlefield 3 got wrong, and how Batt

Postby zacho 666 » 28 Mar 2013, 13:39

How many time do we have to ask? THE BEST STORY WAS THE BAD COMPANY GAMES! MAKE THE THIRD ONE AFTER BF4!!!! PLEASE! :x
CANADA BABY!
zacho 666 25

Re: DICE comes clean: What Battlefield 3 got wrong, and how

Postby Metalrodent » 28 Mar 2013, 13:46

I actually quite like games with alternating characters, as it gives multiple aspects and sides to a story. I mean, even if BF4's campaign does turn out to be decent it will still be a tale of 'America defeating evil', I wouldn't say no to a Chinese or Russian character, to flesh it out more and give both sides real human factors
But glad too see they're open about giving us more choice, BF3 was one long corridor broken up by QTEs, a return to old Battlefield style (eg. actual battlefields) missions would be good, they should take inspiration from the Bad Company, ArmA and Operation Flashpoint games, games that give you an objective and freedom to get there how you please
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Postby FishyGinger » 28 Mar 2013, 14:23

Ah fond memories of the first operation flashpoint, as shonky as it was. Doing an escape mission the way no one else would have bothered, took me half an hour to cross a field stealthily then another age to escape in a tractor, avoiding helicopters and soldiers. Dragon rising I thought was rubbish though.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 70

Postby Jabraham » 28 Mar 2013, 14:36

Anyone know if they mentioned about co-op? quite enjoyed playing it on hard with my mate
Jabraham 35

Postby OXM ETboy » 28 Mar 2013, 14:37

There's no campaign co-op. Not sure about standalone modes, but they're not hinting at anything.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Metalrodent » 28 Mar 2013, 16:49

FishyGinger wrote:Dragon rising I thought was rubbish though.

I liked it a lot as a game, sadly as it game it was also a bit broken in many ways (great fun multiplayer for example, but impossible to get through a full game). They should remake Dragon Rising with Red River's (the third) engine and gameplay, which was pretty solid - sadly the game was more of a linear affair, and essentially removed vehicle combat
Metalrodent 71

Postby Decent_Jam » 28 Mar 2013, 19:41

Really hope they don't screw the pooch with this one and I actually want to play the single player campaign.
Decent_Jam

Game: GT - "Decent Jam"
Tweet: @James_Parry
Email: jamesmparry87@gmail.com
Site - This Is Entertainment: http://jamesmparry.wordpress.com/

Playing : Destiny, TF, Forza 5, KI - head to OXM Nights to meet up.
Decent_Jam 62

Postby ThatOneGamer » 29 Mar 2013, 10:39

I'm looking forward to this game I like what I've seen so far but my only problem with the game is that we're just another American soldier, I'd like to play a character driven story based around some other nationalities, the Russian missions in BF3 were the best levels in my opinion and I'd love to be a Russian squad stook in Shanghai I'd be far more into it if this was the case.
ThatOneGamer 17

Postby Metalrodent » 29 Mar 2013, 12:31

ThatOneGamer wrote:I'm looking forward to this game I like what I've seen so far but my only problem with the game is that we're just another American soldier, I'd like to play a character driven story based around some other nationalities, the Russian missions in BF3 were the best levels in my opinion and I'd love to be a Russian squad stook in Shanghai I'd be far more into it if this was the case.

yes that would be cool, but will never happen as the primary audience for most games (shooters especially) is the USA
Metalrodent 71

Postby GHOSTY05 » 31 Mar 2013, 10:59

Well if it looks like that on the new xbox i am already sold, looks amazing!
GHOSTY05 43

Postby Dave2123 » 09 Apr 2013, 12:45

Battlefield' 3's multiplayer was great and I wouldn't have been suprised if they launched 4 as an MMO, however, they haven't, which means they really need to step up the campaign if they want it to compete with COD. I have just got and completed BF3 and it took but a few hours and most of that was loading, cut scenes or in game moments where the only thing i could do was look around. The actual gameplay was probably half the overall time which isn't good enough. Don't get me wrong I really enjoyed it and I'm currently doing it again on Hard mode with all assists off. BF3 had so much potential i hope this is realised in the fourth. It looks good so far.
Dave2123 29