to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy 13 - a rude awakening for C

Your comments on our articles.

After 500 years asleep, Lightning Returns to a world with 13 days to live

Final Fantasy XIII-2 left the Fabula Nova Crystallis universe in a right old state. Cocoon, the floating city that housed "civilised" humanity and was saved from crashing into the ground by two women transforming into a crystal pillar, finally succumbed to the ravages of gravity. This left Bhunivelze, a hollow sphere named after an ancient mystery god, floating in its place.... read more

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy 13 - a rude awakening for C

Postby ChocoROID » 30 Mar 2013, 11:15

It doesn't matter either way how this one is, I know I'm going to enjoy it.
My brother on the other hand has and always will have his retro goggles tied on so tight it's stopping the blood-flow to his brain allowing only the letter F and the number 7 through.

Looking forward to it!
This is my signature. Isn't it pretty?
ChocoROID 27

Re: Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy 13 - a rude awakening f

Postby Metalrodent » 30 Mar 2013, 12:57

But with a huge death clock hovering at the top of the screen, you might have to give up your completist ambitions - it'll be almost impossible to finish every mission in a single playthrough.

oh great, just what I want to get me interested in a game
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 30 Mar 2013, 13:57

XIII-2's Historia Crux felt more like a fancy level select screen than anything to me. It felt more Linear than XIII if thats possible.
Good to hear they are placing the battles more in the players control than before. That auto battle system was on par with the Gambit System from XII for the worst idea ever.
My main concern is when will this get a release? Ive said this before but with the new consoles coming and games like GTA5 this might not the attention it needs.
Johnbhoy69 55

Postby fracturedrich » 30 Mar 2013, 14:14

Johnbhoy69 wrote:XIII-2's Historia Crux felt more like a fancy level select screen than anything to me. It felt more Linear than XIII if thats possible.
Good to hear they are placing the battles more in the players control than before. That auto battle system was on par with the Gambit System from XII for the worst idea ever.
My main concern is when will this get a release? Ive said this before but with the new consoles coming and games like GTA5 this might not the attention it needs.

FF will always do well as it has got a lot of core fans,ime one of them i love the battle system in FF,apart from the last one which i still have got to finish,which is why i love this magazine,reminds me to finish unfinished games.
fracturedrich 47

Postby terry cheyne » 30 Mar 2013, 15:14

of all final fantasys why in hell do they make 2 sequel to this utter piece of diarrhoea who ever at square think that ff13 is a good game must be executed for crimes against humainty if i ever see him i'll give him a critical hit to the nads
the talentless pieces of shit actually that's an insult to Mr Hanky i'm sure could make a better ff game.
square please stop corpse humping final fantasy please
terry cheyne 47

Postby PonderingWalrus » 31 Mar 2013, 01:04

Metalrodent wrote:
But with a huge death clock hovering at the top of the screen, you might have to give up your completist ambitions - it'll be almost impossible to finish every mission in a single playthrough.

oh great, just what I want to get me interested in a game

Agreed. My interest has been almost instantly squashed.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
PonderingWalrus 42

Postby Crisco » 31 Mar 2013, 17:37

Mine too. I can deal with games having certain missions with a time limit, but a time limit on the actual game is too far. I enjoy meandering about and soaking up the story.
Being good at stuff is overrated. Probably.
Gamertag: Super Crisco
Crisco 47

Postby SilentDark » 02 Apr 2013, 13:04

So this is Dead Rising minus the unending tide of zombies.

Um...yay?

A message to all developers, could you please stop trying to "reinvent" your franchises, because you're getting rather bad at it.

Final Fantasy IX was the pinnacle of the series thus far, it's telling that the side games now have a tendency to be better than the main entries in the franchise.

Square Enix I respectfully suggest outsourcing all future Final Fantasy titles to a company called Mistwalker, I believe you are familiar with their boss, because if this keeps up I think you'll have to retire the franchise.
"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say."
SilentDark 65

Postby Stevie » 22 Apr 2013, 13:16

I think FFXIII is the only Final Fantasy I could not be bothered finishing, I felt like I was watching a movie more than actually playing and it's not as if the story was any better.
I would give FFXIII-2 & FFXIII-3 a go but with not finishing the previous game I would not know what is going on, maybe it's time to buy it again, give it one more chance.
Stevie 3

Postby SilentDark » 22 Apr 2013, 13:39

Actually Stevie XIII-2 has a beginners primer in the main menu, I couldn't finish XIII either, it was getting actually physically painful to play. The primer is basically the entire story of XIII so you could just pick up where you left off in the first game then jump into 2 without much of a problem. It's certainly an improvement, although not as good as the previous entries (seriously why has nothing been as good as IX?)

So if you want to give this series another chance you could just jump in at 2 read the primer to give you background and then start it up.
"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say."
SilentDark 65

Postby captainhetty » 22 Apr 2013, 17:10

They're really milking the whole Lightning thing, huh?

Just take it back to the old Final Fantasies, stop trying to be innovative and stick to what (the majority of) people who enjoy FF actually want to play. I still replay the old ones to death - barely felt any compulsion to finish XIII onwards at all.
"Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets, it's going to be a Crumpocalypse."
PSN - captain_hetty
captainhetty 59

Postby demonblood7 » 07 May 2013, 22:34

For those concerned about the time constraint go look further at least onto the wikia as of my posting of this message it states that while the time initially only is at 13 days left you can increase and decrease the amount of time left before the end of the world through certain actions. They do also state that not everything can be done in 1 play through but there are plenty of games like that but sadly that leads me to the assumption that you will not be turning back time as in majora's mask but instead just adding on time which makes me kinda sad but if they did that there would be no reason you couldn't get all things done on your first play through. Looking forward to the time thing it might add an interesting aspect to the game especially since they already stated that certain missions can actually decrease it and that you have an ability that decreases the time left in the world as well.

What is most interesting to me is the direction they are taking with the combat odd how far from the first final fantasy's they have gone but I think if they do it right the combat could be very fun the shifting of the style reminds me more of a DmC game now kinda that is if the change in style changing which attacks you do and not just which abilities you have equipped all in all after reading the wikia I am more interested in this game then when I first heard about them making yet another final fantasy 13 which I did play through all of them and enjoyed most of the time but also kinda disliked numerous aspects so I understand the skeptical people out there that are not gonna go anywhere near this game but to them I say keep your mind open wait for it to come out and have a look it has potential.
demonblood7 1

Postby demonblood7 » 07 May 2013, 22:37

Also the world sounds more interesting in this one I didn't hate the whole time travel thing in xii-2 but I prefer just having one big map to explore instead of a bunch of different levels. Addition of platforming could be nice for exploring and dungeons adding puzzle elements I would hope.
demonblood7 1

Postby CunningSmile » 31 May 2013, 10:22

That you Stealth?

Kernow I invoke thee!!!!!
I dream of a world in which a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning his motives
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby SilentDark » 31 May 2013, 12:53

chocobomooglecid wrote:13 on x-box had a stack of discs and the graphics were inferior to the play station counterpart.

It wasn't the discs, or the graphics that killed 13 it was the fact that it was a terrible game. Nothing could save it Lost Odyssey came on a stack of discs, as did Blue Dragon, both are infinitely better. Heck the best JRPGs were on the Wii this gen anyway.
SilentDark 65

Next