to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Rumour: next gen Xbox controller practically identical to pr

Your comments on our articles.

Reports indicate Microsoft are sticking to what they know

According to a recent article on Kotaku, prototypes for the next-gen Xbox are making very questionable fashion choices.... read more

Rumour: next gen Xbox controller practically identical to pr

Postby crazziesully » 03 Apr 2013, 10:28

I won't like a smaller controller, maybe if they have 360 sized and a smaller version specifically for smaller handed people..if that is the genuine problem. My hands are fine with the 360 size controller.
crazziesully 11

Re: Rumour: next gen Xbox controller practically identical t

Postby Gazisdaman » 03 Apr 2013, 10:36

I want a controller that can take a beating, I have dropped mine more times than I can count, now it hardly connects at all and when it does it's only fleetingly.
Gazisdaman 35

Postby Bezza89 » 03 Apr 2013, 11:13

Meh, I'm thinking what with 360 controllers usable (if that's a word) with PCs our old 360 ones will be compatible with the gert. With me thinking the 360 one is ergonomic perfection a smaller model doesn't appeal, nor does no new buttons.
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
Bezza89 68

Postby SilentDark » 03 Apr 2013, 11:24

Sadly my dream of a controller that also makes toasted sandwiches is still a ways off :cry:

TippiestRook99 wrote:Think about it.If it's like that than soilders in the army can play Xbox with out being detected.

That kind of depends on the terrain, the one in the picture would be useless in an arctic environment. :)
"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say."
SilentDark 66

Postby Muppetman51 » 03 Apr 2013, 12:05

SilentDark wrote:Sadly my dream of a controller that also makes toasted sandwiches is still a ways off :cry:

Never mind the toasties, I wanted one with the equivalent of sat-nav. It could shout out helpful advice, like: "RELOAD you tool, can't you see the on screen prompt?!?!" or " I can tell you where Geralt's supposed to be looking, if you ask me nicely. If not, well, you're $£%^&*".

Or "Left, LEFT. LEFFFTT, you were supposed to run over the policeman you fool" for GTA. And for a little fun there could be smaller dlc packs where the voice/comments change. So Cortana - if she returns- etc. could put in guest appearances or something.

And if developers wanted to go all HAL and say "I'm afraid I can't let you do that..." if you're doing too well that'd be fun too.
Excuse me sir, but the pigs have refused to find any more truffles until you leave!
Muppetman51 41

Postby Edwin214 » 03 Apr 2013, 12:28

I'm happy with the current Xbox 360 Controller, all they need to do is make the thumbsticks last longer.
Edwin214 3

Postby Metalrodent » 03 Apr 2013, 13:18

yeah the 360 is good for me, so glad they aren't changing it much, but yeah, could do with an extra button or two
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Postby FishyGinger » 03 Apr 2013, 13:54

Metalrodent wrote:yeah the 360 is good for me, so glad they aren't changing it much, but yeah, could do with an extra button or two

Kinda like this one? There just aren't enough mathematics based games...

2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 70

Postby Metalrodent » 03 Apr 2013, 14:07

FishyGinger wrote:
Metalrodent wrote:yeah the 360 is good for me, so glad they aren't changing it much, but yeah, could do with an extra button or two

Kinda like this one? There just aren't enough mathematics based games...

totally, the next CoD needs a sequence where you program a missile's launch path, trajectory and destination
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Postby Plamsa wing » 03 Apr 2013, 14:47

I hope they don't make too much smaller, the controller is almost perfect as it is now.

The only thing I'd change is the d-pad, it's the one thing I think the PS controller has over it. Another thing is having a tie like the Wii remote has, I've dropped it many times than I can count.

Better thumsticks would be ideal too, I've already had them become far too lose this gen, I'd like to not have to replace the controller for more than a few months.
I spilled flour in my uncle's kitchen, now I've got a croissant.
Plamsa wing 57

Postby SidTheSloth » 03 Apr 2013, 20:43

I'd like a couple of extra buttons, just for RPG's mainly. Maybe it'd encourage T/FPS devs not to put the cover/revive,reload buttons on the same key too? :x

Other than that, durability is something i'd echo. I don't expect a controller to last the full lifespan of the console but i'm nearly in double figures for controllers bought over the lifecycle of the 360 which is ridiculous and somewhat expensive - not exactly like im a pad thrower/dropper either.

Other than that, it's not broken, don't fix it...!
(2 + 4 = Fish) / Sloth = Better
SidTheSloth 54

Postby Windowlicker79 » 04 Apr 2013, 01:21

Sounds all good to me. If its only slightly smaller then I cant see it being a problem.
There really is no need for extra buttons. There are more than enough for normal game play. Any sharing/social network options can just be located on the home button pop-up menu.
I hope they come with rechargeable batteries as standard. I also hope they've finally perfected the d-pad.
ಠ_ಠ
Windowlicker79 55

Postby SidTheSloth » 04 Apr 2013, 09:11

Windowlicker79 wrote:There really is no need for extra buttons. There are more than enough for normal game play. I hope they come with rechargeable batteries as standard. I also hope they've finally perfected the d-pad.

Shh, they'll hear you. MS R&D guys don't do anything than trawl forums all day looking for inspiration! :)

I'm not asking for another 4 buttons, just literally 1 or 2, akin to 'shift' buttons that i can use for mage-y type characters in games with lots of spells. The fun is quite literally killed when playing such characters and you have to scroll through wheels of spells every ten seconds to find the ones you want, extra hotkeys gratefully received!

I'd forgotten about the d-pad too - even the newest controller with the 'twisty' one is rubbish compared to pads of old. Not sure why the PS d-pad gets so much praise either. Best d-pads for me were the mega drive six button pad one and even though i was 1 of 5 people worldwide who ever tried it, the one on the saturn controller - both the pinnacle of d-pad design in my humble opinion!
(2 + 4 = Fish) / Sloth = Better
SidTheSloth 54

Postby CunningSmile » 04 Apr 2013, 14:51

What are you guys doing to your controllers? I'm still on the same one I got when I bought my first 360, so far it's outlasted three consoles and the upgrade to the Slim and is still going strong. Only visible flaw is that the little studs on the thumb stick have worn down.

If they don't change it I'll be happy. To echo Bezza I think it's ergonomic perfection, far and away the most comfortable controller I've ever used. Although I know my girlfriend would appreciate an option for a slightly smaller one (preferrably in pink)
Do you ever look at some of the other people on the internet and wonder if you missed the sign that says "You must be this dumb to ride"?
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby FishyGinger » 04 Apr 2013, 15:03

CunningSmile wrote:What are you guys doing to your controllers? I'm still on the same one I got when I bought my first 360, so far it's outlasted three consoles and the upgrade to the Slim and is still going strong. Only visible flaw is that the little studs on the thumb stick have worn down.

If they don't change it I'll be happy. To echo Bezza I think it's ergonomic perfection, far and away the most comfortable controller I've ever used. Although I know my girlfriend would appreciate an option for a slightly smaller one (preferrably in pink)

It does seem strange. I've had one pad break and that was a Snes one when I accidentally stepped on it.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 70

Next