to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Just Cause dev expects fewer big budget games next gen - and

Your comments on our articles.

"Maybe we don't need forty first-person shooters," suggests Avalanche

If you want a sense of how ridiculously high-risk so-called "triple-A" development has become, consider this: Square Enix has branded Tomb Raider a failure off the back of 3.4 million sales (not including sales from digital distribution). According to Stefan Ljungqvist, creative director of Avalanche Studios, ludicrous break-even points will result in fewer big budget blockbusters over the next few years, and that's absolutely fantastic if you're a fan of diversity.... read more

Just Cause dev expects fewer big budget games next gen - and

Postby Gazisdaman » 03 Apr 2013, 12:20

Just out of interest how do I say Ljungqvist?
Gazisdaman 35

Re: Just Cause dev expects fewer big budget games next gen -

Postby Droidsbane » 03 Apr 2013, 17:15

Well for starters I think devs of singleplayer games should consider not wasting money and resources shoehorning multiplayer modes into games that dont need them, unless their 100% sure that it can compete with the heavy hitters of multiplayer, Im lookming at you Tomb Raider!
Droidsbane 33

Postby Bezza89 » 03 Apr 2013, 21:21

Gazisdaman wrote:Just out of interest how do I say Ljungqvist?

I think it's Jungle Vest.

Or Lunkvist, whatever.

I love arcade games, I don't see them as big budget, but big on variety and quality - I'd love to see more and if it's priced right I'd buy a low budget title, as long as the quality meets the value of the price.
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
Bezza89 68

Postby Spiderless » 04 Apr 2013, 11:24

Sounds like the Lara Croft example was bad estimating on the publisher's part, rather than the AAA nature of the game.

More games of smaller budget and higher creativity/experimentality seems like a good way to go, providing he is not talking about 1000s of arcade games. Not that I have anything against them, they just don't fill the same hole as, say, Mirrors Edge (is that AAA? Seems more AA or A).
Spiderless 25

Postby TomAZ600 » 04 Apr 2013, 12:11

Gazisdaman wrote:Just out of interest how do I say Ljungqvist?

You say it Young-fist. Hopefully the industry takes this to heart and starts being creative again, so I can walk into GAME and not have to go through 10 versions of CoD under a different name.
TomAZ600 35