to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Just Cause dev expects fewer big budget games next gen - and

Your comments on our articles.

"Maybe we don't need forty first-person shooters," suggests Avalanche

If you want a sense of how ridiculously high-risk so-called "triple-A" development has become, consider this: Square Enix has branded Tomb Raider a failure off the back of 3.4 million sales (not including sales from digital distribution). According to Stefan Ljungqvist, creative director of Avalanche Studios, ludicrous break-even points will result in fewer big budget blockbusters over the next few years, and that's absolutely fantastic if you're a fan of diversity.... read more

Just Cause dev expects fewer big budget games next gen - and

Postby Gazisdaman » 03 Apr 2013, 12:20

Just out of interest how do I say Ljungqvist?
Gazisdaman 35

Re: Just Cause dev expects fewer big budget games next gen -

Postby Droidsbane » 03 Apr 2013, 17:15

Well for starters I think devs of singleplayer games should consider not wasting money and resources shoehorning multiplayer modes into games that dont need them, unless their 100% sure that it can compete with the heavy hitters of multiplayer, Im lookming at you Tomb Raider!
Droidsbane 33

Postby Bezza89 » 03 Apr 2013, 21:21

Gazisdaman wrote:Just out of interest how do I say Ljungqvist?

I think it's Jungle Vest.

Or Lunkvist, whatever.

I love arcade games, I don't see them as big budget, but big on variety and quality - I'd love to see more and if it's priced right I'd buy a low budget title, as long as the quality meets the value of the price.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby Spiderless » 04 Apr 2013, 11:24

Sounds like the Lara Croft example was bad estimating on the publisher's part, rather than the AAA nature of the game.

More games of smaller budget and higher creativity/experimentality seems like a good way to go, providing he is not talking about 1000s of arcade games. Not that I have anything against them, they just don't fill the same hole as, say, Mirrors Edge (is that AAA? Seems more AA or A).
Spiderless 25

Postby TomAZ600 » 04 Apr 2013, 12:11

Gazisdaman wrote:Just out of interest how do I say Ljungqvist?

You say it Young-fist. Hopefully the industry takes this to heart and starts being creative again, so I can walk into GAME and not have to go through 10 versions of CoD under a different name.
TomAZ600 33