to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Disney closes LucasArts, Star Wars 1313 cancelled

Your comments on our articles.

A great disturbance in the Force

Disney has announced that it is formally closing the historic LucasArts development studio, following its acquisition of LucasFilm last year. The studio's two announced games, Star Wars 1313 and Star Wars: First Assault, have been cancelled.... read more

Disney closes LucasArts, Star Wars 1313 cancelled

Postby Gazisdaman » 03 Apr 2013, 18:47

MY RAGE KNOWS NO BOUNDS, BY ODIN'S BEARD I SHALL HAVE MY REVENGE!!! :evil:
Gazisdaman 35

Re: Disney closes LucasArts, Star Wars 1313 cancelled

Postby LukeNuke » 03 Apr 2013, 18:55

How could they do this?
LucasArts made better things than Disney by MILES.
:evil:
LukeNuke 7

Postby Metalrodent » 03 Apr 2013, 19:10

need it be said?

F*ck Disney
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Postby SirAwesome » 03 Apr 2013, 19:16

Wow... I shall look back on the days when I played the Star Wars movie games on SNES fondly with the breaking of this news. RIP to a legend.
SirAwesome 1

Postby EdDeRs1 » 03 Apr 2013, 19:17

f**k this shit, who wants to form an angry mob and storm Disney? im an seriously pissed off, they have killed our hopes of SW BF 3 being made :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
rule 1: im always right
rule 2: if im not, rule 1 applies
EdDeRs1 39

Postby Darth Mousemat » 03 Apr 2013, 19:24

Gazisdaman wrote:MY RAGE KNOWS NO BOUNDS, BY ODIN'S BEARD I SHALL HAVE MY REVENGE!!! :evil:

Agreed...My reaction to the news:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s
Darth Mousemat 24

Postby Blokey219 » 03 Apr 2013, 19:31

I can't believe it. LucasArts have been going for soooooo long, and now they're going. It's a sad day for all of us... :(
Blokey219 8

Postby SidTheSloth » 03 Apr 2013, 20:32

EdDeRs1 wrote:they have killed our hopes of SW BF 3 being made

Whilst at first glance i share your anger and disappointment, lets go crazy and look at it through the bottom of ye olde half-full glass...

Along with seemingly every other gamer out there i too yearn for the release of battlefront 3, losing the license means that yeah, LucasArts won't now ever make it, but they were hardly rushing themselves over it anyway were they so maybe this opens the door for someone else?

This is a wild theory but (for example) EA have retired Medal Of Hono(u)r for a bit i believe so have an open slot in their 'non-battlefield' year. They've made no secret of their desire to challenge that shooting game Activision make that's somewhat popular - they wouldn't need a great market research team to tell them that a well made battlefront would sell like crazy. Sure, they got their fingers burnt with The Old Republic, but that was an MMO, with a ridiculous entry fee, for PC only - the quality of it was still pretty high. The Star Wars license in their pocket would open a potential door for a kotor sequel too, which would also make me do the proverbial naked happy dance.

Of course many would rather see games cease to be made altogether than EA get their hands on the license, they should be focusing on curing poverty and third world hunger than trying to make games, but the fact is that surely any number of other publishers/developers are aware of the star wars void that's begging to be filled.
(2 + 4 = Fish) / Sloth = Better
SidTheSloth 54

Postby Droidsbane » 03 Apr 2013, 20:38

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!" they were just getting their act together with 1313 and the first step to Battlefront 3! will we ever see another Battlfront given that Disney will want to make family friendly movie-tie-ins for facbook and iPhone and what of Obsidians planned RPG set between the prequel trilogy and the origonal, will that get made? God dammit Disney, God-FREAKING-DAMMIT!!
Droidsbane 33

Postby NobleWarrior92 » 03 Apr 2013, 20:39

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Whilst I am mightily pissed off about this news, especially 1313 being cancelled, I hope Disney stick to their word when they say that other developers will be making future Star Wars games. Here's to hoping that DICE obtain the rights to Battlefront 3 8)
NobleWarrior92 13

Postby stryder84 » 03 Apr 2013, 20:53

A moment of silence for our fallen comrades
AK-47? nah 2 swords and shout will do me
stryder84 29

Postby fluffy321 » 03 Apr 2013, 21:13

Oh great here come family friendly Obi wan mouse games! I AM ANGRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
fluffy321 18

Postby Plamsa wing » 03 Apr 2013, 21:27

While I feel for those who lost their jobs, surely this was bound to happen.

They've been sat on games like, Republic Commando, KoToR (non-MMO), Battlefront and the like, games that clearly have a great deal of demand for a sequel, yet they've not done anything about it.

Hopefully 1313 does end up being saved and released, hopefully it does end up doing well and hopefully one day someone might see demand for a more mature Star Wars game, not some half-arsed cash-in.
Last edited by Plamsa wing on 03 Apr 2013, 21:39, edited 1 time in total.
I spilled flour in my uncle's kitchen, now I've got a croissant.
Plamsa wing 56

Postby Bezza89 » 03 Apr 2013, 21:35

SidTheSloth wrote: i believe so have an open slot in their 'non-battlefield' year.

That slot is respawn entertainments I reckon, if not the crysis slot of february.

'Disney closes LucasArts'

What? Why? You want to license out the internally developed promising titles that would sell shit loads in conjuction with three new films giving them more publicity than Jesus returning and therefore losing probably more than half the profit if those games are released? Makes sense to me.

I would agree it's not the end of the world, Battlefront was made by pandemic, not lucas arts - it was licensed out, and judging by every Sw game since Force Unleashed 1, the LucasArts outfits are shit anyway? Or am I reading it wrong?
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
Bezza89 68

Postby LuRcH18489 » 03 Apr 2013, 21:52

TROLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO
LuRcH18489 31

Next