to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Army of Two: The Devil's Cartel

Your comments on our articles.

EA's dumbest franchise somehow lowers the bar

There is one good idea here. It is this: given that this inexplicably enduring cover-shooter franchise is built on meatheaded adoration of brutal violence, make the violence as flamboyant as possible. Make the buildings explode, and the enemies explode, and your near-uniformly short-lived allies explode, and add a separate ability that when triggered enables walls and boxes to explode. In slow motion. Make it the equivalent of one of those action movies created around people who are better at bodybuilding than acting.... read more

Army of Two: The Devil's Cartel

Postby senote » 04 Apr 2013, 18:09

Why oh why do all the big guys, EA, Ubi, Activision etc think it's okay to put out trash like this at full price and get people to buy it. It's like Ford trying to sell a car knowing it has no brakes and doesn't turn left.
senote 24

Re: Army of Two: The Devil's Cartel

Postby fracturedrich » 04 Apr 2013, 18:47

senote wrote:Why oh why do all the big guys, EA, Ubi, Activision etc think it's okay to put out trash like this at full price and get people to buy it. It's like Ford trying to sell a car knowing it has no brakes and doesn't turn left.

That car you speak off good sir,is mine :)
fracturedrich 46

Postby MutantMeteor » 04 Apr 2013, 22:09

Bit harsh in my opinion. Rather than compare to Steven Seagal I would place it more at Jason Stantham level, non sensical plot but good fun over the top violence.
MutantMeteor 34

Postby OXM Jonty » 05 Apr 2013, 10:46

MutantMeteor wrote:Bit harsh in my opinion. Rather than compare to Steven Seagal I would place it more at Jason Stantham level, non sensical plot but good fun over the top violence.

I've got a pretty high opinion of The Stath. I see him as more of a Sleeping Dogs type, what with all the punching.

Army of Two wound me up a bit because it doesn't do very much, and it doesn't work properly, and it ditches the handful of interesting things the franchise had going for it. I suspect that's a consequence of shifting engines - they had to make it work in Frostbite and couldn't use any of the Unreal Engine toys they'd already made - but it's a bit too much to swallow these days when there's so much other, better stuff out there. If they'd put it out as a budget title I'd think more kindly of it.
Editor

Email: jon.hicks@futurenet.com
Xbox Live: OXM Jonty
OXM Jonty
OXM Staff

Postby Rista B » 05 Apr 2013, 17:01

I can't figure out how this series continues while so many other more promising IP's get placed into permanent stasis.
Rista B 13