to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Defiance

Playing them, beating them, moaning about them, celebrating them

Defiance

Postby Pompey78 » 04 Apr 2013, 19:20

Hi all,

Is anyone playing Defiance?

I'm interested for a couple of reasons:

1) I have the game and want to add to my friends list so I can coop with others

2) to get opinions on what you've made of it so far.

I've only played it for about 4 hrs so far and done a number of side missions, helping other players etc. I'm v.interested to see how the enemies will diversify (or not) and how you will need to rely on true MMO coop to defeat the massive enemies seen in some of the promo vids.

My gamer tag is MattHayward and I'll be playing defiance a fair bit at night over the next few weeks so feel free to connect :)
Gamertag MattHayward
Getting my kids into gaming to justify an Xbox One purchase :)
Pompey78 33

Re: Anyone playing Defiance?

Postby MutantMeteor » 04 Apr 2013, 22:22

Myself and the wifey picked this up and initial impressions are good. It's got a borderlands feel to it but without the humour. It's heavy on the memory over 10 gigs plus install.

Also interested to see how it connects to the tv series on syfy that starts on the 16th. Am I right in saying this would be the first crossover tv series and game ?
MutantMeteor 37

Postby MutantMeteor » 06 Apr 2013, 12:18

Not being a Pc gamer I've never come across the MMO style game before. I'm really liking having other real people co existing in the game world. It's great when driving u come across players fighting a pitched battle and its possible to join in.

The game doesn't do the best job of explaining the game mechanics as the useful game hints are hidden in menus. I'm looking forward to being able to customise my avatar with new outfits and vehicles.

It's also strange that the gaming media seems absent of reviews etc on this. Normally I would put this down to the game being crap but the hours I've put in suggest that's whilst it's not game of the year it's definitely fun and offers something unique on the Xbox.
MutantMeteor 37

Postby Grummy » 06 Apr 2013, 22:14

I hadn't heard anything about this until a few days ago when a mate asked what the deal was with 'this Defiance game that's meant to be based on a TV series'. I hadn't heard anything and didn't really care.

Then I saw a TV advert for it yesterday and I was absolutely stunned. It went from 'meh' to 'OMGWTFWIBBLEBACONZ0MGPWNBBQ!!!!!!1111!11One.

So I went to try and rent a copy from Blockbuster today and all their copies are out already. Not even Bioshock had that. I was both amazed and gutted. As soon as I found there was no monthly fee I was all over it. I seriously want to play it now.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 66
OXM Moderator

Postby Maverick_McCool » 06 Apr 2013, 22:35

The ads for the TV series have been on SYFY for a couple of months now , thought it looked quite good. Like Grummy though I didn't know it was tied to a game till about a week ago. Oddly enough , my local Blockbuster is full of rental copies , my problem is , I didn't have the 10G to spare otherwise I would have picked it up this afternoon as I have never played an MMO before.
I used to make arrow in the knee jokes , then Arm Fall Off Boy kicked me in the balls....... Come on Boon , quit teasing us with DLC characters we don't want , give us Arm Fall Off Boy dammit! Or at least give us Detective Chimp........
Maverick_McCool 45

Postby MutantMeteor » 07 Apr 2013, 11:48

Got to admit the games advert is pretty awesome. It's obviously PC footage as the Xbox version suffers a bit graphically.

Interestingly the future dlc will all be free at its core with the devs charging for extras, I'm thinking weapons , outfits costumes and micro transactions. Seems reasonable as it should limit compatibility issues.
MutantMeteor 37

Postby SidTheSloth » 07 Apr 2013, 23:22

Interest was suitably piqued by you guys talking about this etc. so had a bit of a look at it and it looks pretty decent, and quite different as far as other MMO's i've seen/played - the fact it's running on 360 is even more impressive.

Don't know if anyone knows/watches Total Biscuits PC vids normally but he's put one up for this (obviously the PC version) here. Despite the fact he has a bad habit of labouring his point he gives a decent impression/overview of what the games like/about early doors etc.
(2 + 4 = Fish) / Sloth = Better
SidTheSloth 54

Postby Plamsa wing » 08 Apr 2013, 01:28

It's starting to look quite interesting. I'm quite weary of it being tied to Syfy though, it's not exactly the most exciting channel out there.

I am tempted to give it a go through Lovefilm, try before you buy and all that.
I spilled flour in my uncle's kitchen, now I've got a croissant.
Plamsa wing 57

Postby captainhetty » 08 Apr 2013, 08:52

Tempted by this but think I'll get it through Lovefilm first as well. Don't fancy parting with 30 quid without trying it out first. What I've seen looks pretty decent, though.
"Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets, it's going to be a Crumpocalypse."
PSN - captain_hetty
captainhetty 59

Postby pg99 » 08 Apr 2013, 14:47

Grummy wrote:I hadn't heard anything about this until a few days ago when a mate asked what the deal was with 'this Defiance game that's meant to be based on a TV series'. I hadn't heard anything and didn't really care.

Then I saw a TV advert for it yesterday and I was absolutely stunned. It went from 'meh' to 'OMGWTFWIBBLEBACONZ0MGPWNBBQ!!!!!!1111!11One.

So I went to try and rent a copy from Blockbuster today and all their copies are out already. Not even Bioshock had that. I was both amazed and gutted. As soon as I found there was no monthly fee I was all over it. I seriously want to play it now.

Yea, I feel like it's worth a try for this reason alone seeing as it's an MMO. I'm not going to pay full price for it though.
pg99 14

Postby Insaneyokel » 08 Apr 2013, 15:57

Hoping to pick it up soon.
Twitter: @RMRedmanAuthor
Gamertag: RONA79
Insaneyokel 47

Postby OXM ETboy » 08 Apr 2013, 16:30

In light of its popularity round these parts (boosted, presumably, by the TV show), I'm going to do a couple of diary pieces on Defiance. Any particular approach you chaps want me to take?
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Bezza89 » 08 Apr 2013, 16:57

The TV show hasn't aired has it? It's on SyFy, I don't get SyFy, therefore by my reasoning, I wont get half the game. What's the point?

Diary wise- if you're playing it just play it how you would, and if you wouldn't mind do a mini review while you do it, because I thought the 'review' today was a bit pants though Sid said it better than me. Not like a full blown workload review, just your thoughts on how it plays from your experience of mmos (or lack of), basically, like what we do in these very forums.
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
Bezza89 68

Postby Grummy » 08 Apr 2013, 20:14

OXM ETboy wrote:In light of its popularity round these parts (boosted, presumably, by the TV show), I'm going to do a couple of diary pieces on Defiance. Any particular approach you chaps want me to take?

I put my comments on t'other comments section.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 66
OXM Moderator

Postby Carpet Monkey » 08 Apr 2013, 21:47

Got it yesterday as I had enough points on my reward card and a friend of line has started playing it. Not really excited before as it looks very brown and uninteresting, so might be a quick trade in!
Gamertag : Carpet Monkey
Carpet Monkey 42

Next