to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Microsoft creative director defends always-online consoles,

Your comments on our articles.

More rumours as to next gen Xbox connected features surface

Microsoft Studios creative director Adam Orth and Bioware designer Manveer Heir have had a bit of a spat on Twitter (thanks Gematsu) about Ye Olde Always-Online Gaming, beginning with Orth's declaration that he doesn't "get the drama around having an 'always on' console".... read more

Microsoft creative director defends always-online consoles,

Postby Thos. » 05 Apr 2013, 10:17

From what I hear, I don't think US internet is robust enough across the whole country for 'you can only play if you are online'. Plus Xbox is really big with US forces overseas, who often have no internet.

I just can't see them going with always-on next gen.
Thos. 46

Re: Microsoft creative director defends always-online consol

Postby OXM ETboy » 05 Apr 2013, 10:22

Between this and North Korea, it's looking like a good time to line my fridge with lead.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby SkinnerChinner » 05 Apr 2013, 10:40

It won't be always online if I take the plug out the socket now will it? :lol:

Defend it all you want, if there's any truth to these rumours I will not be investing in a shiny new xbox. What's the issue with the current set-up? If I want to play online, I need to be connected. If I don't, I can quite happly play solo offline. My mobile phone has the capcity to be always connected, doesn't mean it always is, or that I want it to. I really cannot see the need for a console to be constantly hooked up to t'internet? Nor the need, or sense, to render it 'un-playable' without one.
SkinnerChinner 36

Postby FishyGinger » 05 Apr 2013, 10:49

OXM ETboy wrote:Between this and North Korea, it's looking like a good time to line my fridge with lead.

I have been reliably informed by my South Korean informants that the North don't have nuclear weaponry. They do however cook and eat dogs (although this might be slanderous North Vs South rivalry) and due to the "Tom & Jerry & Spike" effect with no dogs, cats are free to roam. It is therefore likely that "Kitten Missiles" are the most likely threat and as such it would be worth coating your house/flat/abode in balls of yarn to subdue such weapons of fluffy destruction.

It has been a long day already.... :shock:
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 70

Postby SidTheSloth » 05 Apr 2013, 10:50

I think we should all play the 'wait and see' game rather than the 'let's get enraged by the daily rumours' one most people seem so fond of...
(2 + 4 = Fish) / Sloth = Better
SidTheSloth 54

Postby Metalrodent » 05 Apr 2013, 11:14

Why on earth would I live there?

well, thats his attitude explained in one sentence
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Postby CunningSmile » 05 Apr 2013, 11:22

FishyGinger wrote:
OXM ETboy wrote:Between this and North Korea, it's looking like a good time to line my fridge with lead.

I have been reliably informed by my South Korean informants that the North don't have nuclear weaponry. They do however cook and eat dogs (although this might be slanderous North Vs South rivalry) and due to the "Tom & Jerry & Spike" effect with no dogs, cats are free to roam. It is therefore likely that "Kitten Missiles" are the most likely threat and as such it would be worth coating your house/flat/abode in balls of yarn to subdue such weapons of fluffy destruction.

I heard that South Korea hated the North because they don't eat dogs, or is that just more propaganda?

only joking, I know quite a few South Koreans and they are lovely people who never look twice at dogs. They are however terrifying when competing in Kendo tournements
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby vadersmyfather » 05 Apr 2013, 12:04

Metalrodent wrote:
Why on earth would I live there?

well, thats his attitude explained in one sentence

You mean, tongue in cheek?

If the nextbox has to be online all the time to function at all then that wouldn't be a problem for me, but I don't see that working the world over.

I have to say I don't fully understand his reference to a vacuum...
I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid it dseno't mttaer the oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer are in the rhgit pclae.
vadersmyfather 48

Postby FishyGinger » 05 Apr 2013, 12:36

If they don't eat dogs then cats will be killed by the dogs and the mice will be used in their missiles. There's a problematic dog/cat/mouse issue here, now paper/scissors/rock problems can be sorted out quite easily but this...I can't see this working.

Who here honestly wants to see mouse-based weapons of world ending destruction used against us? No, thought not.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 70

Postby Thos. » 05 Apr 2013, 12:52

vadersmyfather wrote:I have to say I don't fully understand his reference to a vacuum...

When told some people have poor internet, so an online requirement would be a problem, he's saying that as you have power cuts and sometimes can't get phone reception, then what's the point in owning a vacuum cleaner and a mobile phone?
Thos. 46

Postby SilentDark » 05 Apr 2013, 12:58

Given how often my LIVE connection has dropped out in the last week alone I would say Adam need to be bashed in the knackers with a cricket bat.
"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say."
SilentDark 66

Postby squirrelofDoom » 05 Apr 2013, 13:48

"Electricity goes out, too." Don't forget, said Heir,

I think this guy believes consoles should come with their own generator. last time I checked my Xbox went off when I had a power cut. If it didn't I'd be pretty scared!

Unfortunately, Microsoft has had it's fair share of leaks and piracy, so I wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of always online thing. but I'm still very dubious of this.
squirrelofDoom 26

Postby vadersmyfather » 05 Apr 2013, 14:08

Thos. wrote:
vadersmyfather wrote:I have to say I don't fully understand his reference to a vacuum...

When told some people have poor internet, so an online requirement would be a problem, he's saying that as you have power cuts and sometimes can't get phone reception, then what's the point in owning a vacuum cleaner and a mobile phone?

Oh, I understand what he was saying, but the comparison doesn't work at all.
I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid it dseno't mttaer the oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer are in the rhgit pclae.
vadersmyfather 48

Postby Nick Holt » 05 Apr 2013, 16:50

FishyGinger wrote:

Okay lets get this over with but no offense but your informants don't know shit. You can't cross the border either can your informant, so you dont know anything. Isolationism helps them in this so does the demilitarized zone, If you know what that is good for you, if you dont its a border zone armed with guards. There job is simple you don't turn around when told to they remove. There's no way to get inside NK without going full halo jump. And the chances they dont spot the plane is a 75 to 1.
Nick Holt 19

Postby Rista B » 05 Apr 2013, 17:12

With a Gold membership I'm online most of the time now. I think if the nextbox works basically the same way this is all much ado over nothing.

Stopping people from gaming every time the internet goes out seems like a really bad idea. I'm more concerned about the constant drumbeat of "social connectivity" nonsense that keeps getting bandied about.

Games first please.
Rista B 13

Next