to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

LucasArts' collapse: four developers I'd like to take Star W

Your comments on our articles.

Now that LucasArts no longer develops games, who should fill the breach?

The sudden but hardly unexpected cessation of games development at LucasArts (care of a budget-conscious Mickey Mouse) is cause for much lamentation. The company's hitlist is longer than Jabba the Hutt is wide, encompassing such hallowed classics as X-Wing, Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, Jedi Knight and Day of the Tentacle, though its recent work has proven somewhat surplus to requirements.... read more

LucasArts' collapse: four developers I'd like to take Star W

Postby CyberZeroX » 05 Apr 2013, 12:32

Like I said on twitter I think Platinum games would be able to do a pretty good job with the IP.
@Laughing__Man_
CyberZeroX 10

Re: LucasArts' collapse: four developers I'd like to take St

Postby OXM ETboy » 05 Apr 2013, 12:41

I think Platinum could do... interesting things with Star Wars. Whether they'd do the brand justice is another matter - I love their brawlers, but Star Wars is pretty story-centric and those guys write fairly shambolic plots.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby FishyGinger » 05 Apr 2013, 12:44

I must be the only one who doesn't really rate platinum games all that highly.

I'd like to see Irrational do something star warsy though. Not because they're a particularly good fit but I like their stories.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 70

Postby Metalrodent » 05 Apr 2013, 12:45

Battlefront 3 please!!!!! (now where's my hug?)
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Postby Bubblebeard JS » 05 Apr 2013, 12:47

would love to see DICE takeover the Battlefront IP........ that would be very interesting, juastso long as EA keep the f**k away from the game.
Bubblebeard JS 39

Postby SilentDark » 05 Apr 2013, 13:05

If Platinum made a Star Wars game using the same engine they used for Metal Gear Rising it could possibly be completely awesome. Just no EA, for the love of god no EA.
"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say."
SilentDark 67

Postby CunningSmile » 05 Apr 2013, 13:06

I'd second the Obsidian vote. Unfinished and buggy as it was KoToR2 is actually my preferred game of the series. The plot wasn't as strong but the characters were more varied and the morality more interesting. I'd love to see what they could do if allowed to finish a game.

It's a real pity Activision closed Ravensoft as their Jedi Knights games were excellent and I'd really have like them to do another.
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby SilentDark » 05 Apr 2013, 13:11

One of the reasons that KOTOR 2 was so buggy was pressure for a holiday release by LA, with them out of the equation, and if Disney was sensible enough to give them actual time to turn out a polished product this could be a very good thing, but megacorps aren't well reknowned for their patience so maybe not such a good idea.
"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say."
SilentDark 67

Postby mariachi2000 » 05 Apr 2013, 13:36

Having just recently finished the story of Arkham City, as soon as I saw the title of the article I was drooling at the thought of a Rocksteady Star Wars game.

Seconded :D
mariachi2000 37

Postby OXM ETboy » 05 Apr 2013, 13:59

Metalrodent wrote:Battlefront 3 please!!!!! (now where's my hug?)

/sudden terrifying crushing sensation
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby terry cheyne » 05 Apr 2013, 14:24

Bethesda a skyrim star wars would be perfect and Bioware a kotor remake more like mass effect
terry cheyne 47

Postby benjedimaster » 05 Apr 2013, 14:31

In my opinion, two series and a one hit wonder need a comeback;

1; Jedi Knight series: The best series in my opinion (I still own Jedi Academy) I think Platinum Games would be good to pick up where Raven studios left off due to their familiarity with melee combat, that was the staple of the series; The Lightsaber, yes you had OTT force powers (If you rank them up quickly) but the combat was astounding, it felt like you were actually dueling a Sith and one wrong swing could get you killed, I want this back the most.

2; Battlefront series: predictable I know, but to the average Star Wars game fanatic if you asked of them: What was your favourite Star Wars game? They will almost always shout: Battlefront! The game where you could be most character (Hunt mode) Be a Jedi/Sith after accumulaing enough points and SPAAAAAAAAAAACE combat that was awesome in the hands of even the most novice of pilots, I will admit, going back to BF2 now the AI is laughable but think about how advances have come along now? I look forward with great anticipation.

3; Republic Commando: By far the best FPS of the Star Wars game list, the squad command's were good, the AI was half decent and the threat was real, you made a wrong call you would get that squad member knocked down, if you were knocked down, you could ask your squad for help (Something Gears of War 1 forgot to add), varied enemies as you went to different worlds and a cliffhanger ending that begs a sequel, Disney; this is the game you are looking for.

Honorable mentions:Rogue Squadron: A great flight sim that had varied objectives and created spin offs from the good premise (remember Battle for Naboo?).
Star Wars Demolition: Vehicular mayhem that pitted you against multiple opponents, good combat, nice locations but a little bit clunky and cash in 'vehicles' like Jabba's Rancor.
Star Wars Bounty Hunter; A game where you played as Jango Fett, similar to 1313 it took place on Coruscant where you were hunting a Dark Jedi called Komari Vosa, it had all of Jango's toolsand felt like a fun, if short game.
benjedimaster 8

Postby Grummy » 05 Apr 2013, 15:03

Why just one developer?

The Warhammer 40,000 IP has recently been given to Slitherine games to make what appears to be smaller games that would suit browsers, smartphones and tablets, but there is no way in hell that they are going to be they only games coming from that franchise and I can see Sega also having something, owning the fantasy licence and buying Relic it would make no sense for them not to take on the 40K IP as well. Different style games from different developers, I like the idea and I think it would work for Star Wars too.

Give EA a piece of it, let them take the RPG and give it to Bioware.
Ubisoft (if there's only one choice, I want them to have it) can have their choice of games really, but think for a second and try and imagine a scenario where an AC game was set in the Star Wars universe (it won't happen, but just imagine for a moment)
What else? Well, I'd love to see id make an FPS from it.

I think there is far too much potential to just go with one game from one studio. Spread the love a bit.
One. Warrior. Nation.

"The PS4 reminds me of a Kit-Kat, and I like Kit-Kats" as spoken by the Hetty.
Grummy 67
OXM Moderator

Postby Kettch » 05 Apr 2013, 16:09

Ubisoft can keep their grubby mitts off. We'll just get more Brit bashing, but in space.

I'd also prefer Obsidian to stay away. KotOR2 was terrible from the off. New Vegas was far far too samey compared to Fallout 3. And....I think you forget Alpha Protocol. No more need be said.

Rocksteady I can take. Irrational would be ace, Bioware would be a dream come true. Plus someone to take over Battlefront. Who was it that made Sturmovik? I reckon something Luke XWing or Rogue Squadron made by them would be epic. Easily the best flight sim on the console, Sturmovik, I reckon
Ladies and gentlemen,take my advice: Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice
Kettch 24

Postby FishyGinger » 05 Apr 2013, 16:12

Kettch wrote:Ubisoft can keep their grubby mitts off. We'll just get more Brit bashing, but in space.

I'd also prefer Obsidian to stay away. KotOR2 was terrible from the off. New Vegas was far far too samey compared to Fallout 3. And....I think you forget Alpha Protocol. No more need be said.

Rocksteady I can take. Irrational would be ace, Bioware would be a dream come true. Plus someone to take over Battlefront. Who was it that made Sturmovik? I reckon something Luke XWing or Rogue Squadron made by them would be epic. Easily the best flight sim on the console, Sturmovik, I reckon

I rate ubisoft highly enough. And think obsidian are quite good but usually limited on time. Kotor 2 was good what of it there was, New Vegas I really enjoyed and some people really like alpha protocol (can't say, on my list to play).

The last paragraph though...allllllll good. Some of those would be great, and a decent rogue squadron game... :)
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 70

Next